E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Intermitent Issue. Need advice

12-13-2011, 05:28 AM   #1
woptang22
Major
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 BMW M3

Intermitent Issue. Need advice

Hello, I have a 2007 335i sedan. Ive noticed since I got it almost a year ago, every once in a while it does something weird. When I come to a stop at a stop sign or red light the car seems to almost jump forward as I come to a stop. I dont know if its a transmission issue? Its not all the time, and its not a drastic movement. The best way I can describe the feeling is like this. When I had my 09 audi and was stopped going up a hill, I believe the brake applied itself so the car wouldnt roll at all, but then when you let your foot off the brake to go up the hill, the car would kind of jumo forward like the brake finally let go. Thats really the only way I can describe the feeling in the 335i. Sorry for lack of a good description. I have been reading on this forum about people having their transmission memory erased and the car would shift alot smoother, Im wondering if this could have something to do with my issue, it does also seem like the trans shifts a bit rough on occasions. thanks for all your time.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 06:53 AM   #2
5tony
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M5/'15 X5 35i/'88 M3

Do a search for Soft Stop and you'll find out what the issue is.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 09:03 AM   #3
woptang22
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5tony View Post
Do a search for Soft Stop and you'll find out what the issue is.
thank you very much. Ill do a seach. thanks for your advice.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 09:11 AM   #4
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

If it's as you come to a stop, search for soft stop.

If it happens while you're already at a stop (like your Audi example), search for NIC.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 12:08 PM   #5
woptang22
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
If it's as you come to a stop, search for soft stop.

If it happens while you're already at a stop (like your Audi example), search for NIC.
its pretty much right before I come to a stop. Its really strange. Just glad nothing to do with the trans. at least i hope not.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 12:46 PM   #6
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
If you come to a stop and you feel a "push" or when you start up from a dead stop, you feel a "tug", it's NIC, Neutral Idle Control.

NIC disengages your drivetrain from your engine to reduce engine load and increase fuel economy. You can have it coded out but people have reported that they took a hit in gas mileage.

There is a software update that address this issue but it's still there. I had the update done on my 05/06 build 330xi and it's there. It's better but I just got used to letting off the brake before coming to a stop so I don't feel that "push." The "tug" is alot better though, almost gone, but sometimes, rarely, it's very noticeable.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 04:26 PM   #7
woptang22
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ********* View Post
If you come to a stop and you feel a "push" or when you start up from a dead stop, you feel a "tug", it's NIC, Neutral Idle Control.

NIC disengages your drivetrain from your engine to reduce engine load and increase fuel economy. You can have it coded out but people have reported that they took a hit in gas mileage.

There is a software update that address this issue but it's still there. I had the update done on my 05/06 build 330xi and it's there. It's better but I just got used to letting off the brake before coming to a stop so I don't feel that "push." The "tug" is alot better though, almost gone, but sometimes, rarely, it's very noticeable.
wow it might actually be the NIC then. How your describing it sounds to me like whats happening. Im just happy it has nothing to do with the trans. My car is a 2007 so it no longer has warranty. But Ive been looking into some warranties from the place I bought the car. I should probably get on it. the warranties are just expensive though. But Im sure Im better off paying for the warranty and not paying for something that breaks. Im sure something breaking is much more money.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2011, 06:21 PM   #8
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Well technically NIC isn't in need of repair so would it be covered under warranty? I think there was a SIB out on it when I went in a couple years ago to get it coded out. It definitely did the trick. But then again I was under factory warranty and everything, so they just did it without hassle.
Appreciate 0