ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Cosmetics Modification (Exterior/Interior) Discussions
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-19-2007, 11:04 AM   #1
srhutch
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4M & F11

Newbie - Soft Top Care

Just washed my Z4 roadster for the first time, boy does black show the dirt.

But my question is, have I made a school boy error and washed the roof with my usual car shampoo (Megs Gold Class) using MicroFibre washmit. Has this removed any protection that was already on the roof.

If not is this normal practice to wash the roof with shampoo?

How many time can you do this before protecting again.

Luckily I have just taken delivery of some RaggTopp Cleaner and protector if required.

Also is there any tips for using this protector, it does state to remove overspray from windows and body work immediatley, but is it worth trying to cover the body up near where spraying?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2007, 06:51 PM   #2
epbrown
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M Coupe, Porsche Boxster S

Quote:
Originally Posted by srhutch View Post
But my question is, have I made a school boy error and washed the roof with my usual car shampoo (Megs Gold Class) using MicroFibre washmit. Has this removed any protection that was already on the roof.

If not is this normal practice to wash the roof with shampoo?
You haven't stripped your roof's protectants with a single washing. The substance used to "impregnate" the top's cloth to prevent water absorption is similar to wax, and a good car wash soap (like Meguiars) won't remove it any more than it would strip the wax from your car.

As for normal practice, I tend to go easy on the top and only use soap and a gentle brush for heavy soiling (usually bird droppings) to preserve the protectant as much as possible. The instructions on my RaggTopp containers say nothing in this regard.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2007, 03:58 PM   #3
takedown8
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 BMW Z4 3.0i

Not sure what kind of shampoo you used. From now on, use the Raggtop cleaner (It comes in a twin pack with the Raggtopp protectant) or some people use woolite.

I picked up a nice horsehair brush from my local shoe repair shop for $9. Nice and soft and good for the soft top. It's good to just brush the top sometimes without washing it....you'll be surprised how much dust comes out!
Appreciate 0