E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > RPI scoops on N55 with JB Stage 1, my opinion

12-19-2011, 01:06 AM   #1
Jdub679
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i coupe M Sport

Thumbs up RPI scoops on N55 with JB Stage 1, my opinion

First of all, I've read plenty of past posts on the advantages/disadvantages that scoops provide. I've seen the dyno charts from RPI. And I can see the case for both sides. This is just my opinion based on a day of driving with them, both locally and on the freeway. Also, I received them as a gift and installed them myself. Total cost to me, $0. So rationalizing the cost shouldn't be factor here. My only other performance mod is the JB Stage 1 (I don't have a Stage 2 because I have an older DME).

Locally, part throttle/normal driving I don't feel much of a difference in power below 4000 rpm. Full throttle may be a different story (RPI's dyno charts actually show a low rpm torque increase). On the freeway, especially over 60-70mph, there's definitely a stronger pull (in 6th gear, part throttle, manual). From 60-90, it's NOTICEABLE. Over that, no idea. Throttle response is very slightly better. No difference in sound. There "may" be an mild improvement in spirited driving acceleration, but I haven't made up my mind about that. If there is an improvement with mileage (about 1 mpg overall, as one poster commented), I'll have to decide about that later as well.

I won't be dyno'ing the car. I don't have a Vbox. So obviously, I can't prove these opinions in any way. If I had to go back and pay $100 (which isn't that expensive anyways) for them. I think I would.

Note on install: When RPI says they are a tight fit, they aren't kidding. Trying to get the upper intake clip back in was a pain. The pin may have difficulty going down if there's too much tension on the bottom of the clip. I used a thin screwdriver to help align the holes, held the scoop in place with my hands, then quickly pushed the clip down through both holes.

Note on quality: I thought the red paint would chip off after making contact with the radiator a few times during the install. Everything held together quite nicely.

Thanks for reading.
Appreciate 0