E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Australia > Progman 25.01.01 & Oil Defect

05-21-2007, 07:48 PM   #1
Costa
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 325i

Progman 25.01.01 & Oil Defect

Just got my car back from BMW. Had it upgraded to the latest OS to address a few well known issues such as static on the radio, navigation arrow display etc. All have been bugging me for a while and when I saw the other threads re 25.01.01 I thought it would be a good time to take the car in.

Some people have said the new progman is snappier but I am yet to see this in the one area which matters the most to me - navigation. I wonder if all they have done is lower the priority of the navigation program (which is the most CPU intensive), to free up CPU time for other menu functions ?

The display looks very different. The fonts are the same but the colour scheme/skin theme has changed. I haven't got used to the colours yet - they have a Windows XP "steely" feel to them.

The TV now displays when I stop at the lights without having to engage the handbrake - I like that !

All of the Navi POI search stuff is there which is great. I think we will be seeing a lot more changes in this area as Navigation becomes more and more prominent ...

One of the reasons I took the car in was I had needed two oil top-ups in the past 6 months. I got a call yesterday when they had finished the work on the car and the SA told me they were ordering a new oil separator from Germany. I have seen in other threads that the new 335 needs an oil cooler - wonder if it is the same issue?

Anyway, keep an eye on your oil consumption. It was not a problem for me until I hit about 15,000 kms, and this is when I started to push the car a lot harder. I was pretty gentle on it before then as I wanted to make sure it was run in properly with minimal thrashing.
      05-22-2007, 01:30 AM   #2
CaptOz
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911 Carrera S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Costa View Post
Just got my car back from BMW. Had it upgraded to the latest OS to address a few well known issues such as static on the radio, navigation arrow display etc.
Is it a free upgrade and, if so, did the dealer try to talk you out of doing it?

Is it the type of thing you can wait while they do it? I’m not sure if it is a simple software download or a major hardware change.

Quote:
The TV now displays when I stop at the lights without having to engage the handbrake - I like that !
I would like that too. The handbrake is a pain.

I’ll have to get the upgrade. I only wonder if I tell my dealer I need it done so I can watch TV more easily, he might throw me off the site.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2007, 09:52 PM   #3
Costa
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Mine was done free because I had a number of valid defects I wanted to get rectified under warranty. If you just go in and ask for the upgrade without a valid warranty claim they will try and charge you.

It takes at least one day to re-program the car - sometimes more if they have problems.

I am seriously wondering whether they gave me the latest version because it is DAMN SLOW :mad:

The navigation is much slower in zoom functions, and the phone takes notably longer to pair with the car.

As for the new colour scheme - I don't like it even the kids hate it

The biggest problem is that the FM radio static, which was a major cause for taking it in, has got worse

Looks like I'll be taking her back in <sigh>
      05-22-2007, 10:13 PM   #4
VGR00
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 430i Gran Coupe

When I had my Bluetooth issue rectified, they had to re Flash the car to configure the unit to the car and it took 4 hours just to do that. It also changed a number of the defaults I had set on the car which meant I had to re-program them manually.

With the MOST bus system, it appears that every unit in the car has an identity and that identity has to be recognised by the central control unit before it will operate. This would indicate that any repair work when the car is out of warrenty means it has to go back to the dealer to program. Gaurenteed trailler business for BMW dealers. No wonder they are all building bigger and better service workshops as they are going to need them with the flood of people expected in the years to come.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2007, 03:12 AM   #5
CaptOz
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911 Carrera S

Quote:
Mine was done free because I had a number of valid defects I wanted to get rectified under warranty. If you just go in and ask for the upgrade without a valid warranty claim they will try and charge you.
How can you tell what version you have? Does it display somewhere?

Quote:
As for the new colour scheme - I don't like it even the kids hate it
Do you have a photo? It would be interesting to compare.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2007, 08:06 PM   #6
Costa
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Capt Oz - I don't know what version I got. I am assuming the latest, cause that's what they said - but that could mean anything from "the latest available to the dealership", to "the latest one the dealership knows about".

There is no way that I know of to find out what version you have - a bit annoying.

I'll get some photos over the weekend.

... I've played with it a bit more and the system actually has improved from a "man-machine-interface" (MMI) point of view (sorry that's software engineering talk). The only bits I don't like are:
- slower navigation
- color scheme (it's growing on me though)
- fuzzy FM radio :mad: