E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > A7 order - arriving early! Mixed thoughts....

12-27-2011, 06:49 PM   #1
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
A7 order - arriving early! Mixed thoughts....

Hi guys - hope everone had a fab xmas!

Well as some of you have prob read on my earlier thread, I ordered an Audi A7 at the start of November - this was after viewing and driving the demo car on an extended drive - I was told I had to decide quickly as the only available build slot they had was week 13 in 2012 and as I needed the car early May when the M3 goes back, I was keen to secure this slot so deposit was placed on this spec.....

V6 3.0 TDi 245PS Quattro S-line 7speed S-tronic.

Dakota Grey Pearlescent Paint
Black Nappa leather with Alcantara Inserts and grey stitching
Privacy Glass
MMI Nav plus inc MMI touch
Mobile tel prep with Online Services
20" x 9J 5 segment-spoke alloys

The chap that sold me the car emailed last week to say he was leaving Stafford Audi, and that my order would be looked after by another salesman. He also said that the car is due to be built early next year and so should be here well in advance of my collection date. I thought this was a little odd but emailed back to wish him well and merry xmas and promptly forgot all about the subject!

Today I received another email from his colleague, who explained that he would now be looking after me and my order and that there is good news! The car has been built and is due at the dealer in 3-4 weeks! He said that if I want the car sooner that's great but if not we can wait for the original delivery date.

Now, I find this huge jump in dates quite strange? Audi (well in fact the whole VAG group) have been infamous of late for their very long lead times so how come my car has been built after 6 weeks instead of the 6 months as previously indicated??

Now this has started a few thoughts in my head....will they register the vehicle and if so when will the warranty start? Now this car is leased so it won't matter too much to me, unless I decide to extend the 2 year lease for an extra year and could it mean the warranty will expire 4 months earlier or does a warranty start from the date of delivery?

I am also not keen on the car standing idle for 4 months before I take delivery of it - will the service indicator come on sooner due to the time the oil has been in there?

What do you guys think? Am I just being a bit silly and paranoid or do you think I have cause for concern. I know Audi have been chucking huge deposit contributions at cars registered this year - now the garage have a chassis number they can get it registered - does that mean they might have taken advantage of that contribution and not pass it on to me, although seeing as I dont want the car until May I can't really expect that can I!

I also wonder how they can afford to sit on £50k+ of car and not get it invoiced until May?

I value anyone's thoughts and comments on this before I ring the garage tomorrow and voice my concerns
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2011, 09:20 PM   #2
zedman
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 M Sport 320D,

well it could be loads of things but i'll give you my 2p worth

Order arriving early could be due to increased production OR an allocated build car matching your spec and so being routed to you

I highly doubt your dealer will register the car as it belongs to the lease co., they want the maximum for the car when they take it back so highly unlikey that they would agree to an older plate just so the dealer could get a bonus.

4 months sit around - I would say it doesn't matter, won't affect the service indicator as this should be reset at PDI not dealer delivery. Even if it affects the car the car somehow longterm, it will never affect you as your stewardship will be in the warranty period

Warranty - normally starts from the day the car was registered as at the V5 date, so as long as its registered in may its all good

love that A7 back end, its got a real 70s alfa romeo look about it!
      12-27-2011, 11:33 PM   #3
Snooky
Major
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5 Sportback Carbon Blac

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedman View Post
well it could be loads of things but i'll give you my 2p worth

Order arriving early could be due to increased production OR an allocated build car matching your spec and so being routed to you

I highly doubt your dealer will register the car as it belongs to the lease co., they want the maximum for the car when they take it back so highly unlikey that they would agree to an older plate just so the dealer could get a bonus.

4 months sit around - I would say it doesn't matter, won't affect the service indicator as this should be reset at PDI not dealer delivery. Even if it affects the car the car somehow longterm, it will never affect you as your stewardship will be in the warranty period

Warranty - normally starts from the day the car was registered as at the V5 date, so as long as its registered in may its all good

love that A7 back end, its got a real 70s alfa romeo look about it!
+1 on this.

My 335i arrived a little earlier than expected (not by nearly so much as your A7) and was stored by the dealer in their off-site storage facility. Car was registered on day I collected it (1 March so new reg) and service schedule and warranty was based on that date too).
      12-28-2011, 05:51 AM   #4
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
They won't register it untill your ready. Id wait till march so you get the newer plate.
      12-28-2011, 06:23 AM   #5
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
I have to say mate, I saw one of these over Xmas and it did look very nice indeed!!!!!
      12-28-2011, 06:24 AM   #6
M3-FAST
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dxb335d View Post
They won't register it untill your ready. Id wait till march so you get the newer plate.
The M3 doesn't come off lease until may Carlos so will be a while yet!
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 06:26 AM   #7
M3-FAST
England
Rep

Garage List
Cheers for the words of encouragement fella's...thought it might have been me being a bit picky. Just seems so odd being built so early!

Surely Stafford Audi will have to pay for it and won't be able to invoice it until I take del of it?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 06:33 AM   #8
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep

Garage List
Yep!!
      12-28-2011, 06:36 AM   #9
mpgrant5
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Bmw m2 cs + 340d

M3 fast I would drive the m3 more while you still ave the chance I think you will miss it when it is gone, other than the trips to the petrol station did u not fancy the incoming f10 550d ?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 06:49 AM   #10
KadeSdad
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E350 CDI Sport Cabriolet

Good choice Paul. Though I have to say I miss the V8, so much so I have lined up a C63 AMG (2012) for the weekend!
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 08:17 AM   #11
kaishang
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 330d

Well hope you enjoy the car whenever it is you pick it up

Remember I said I was thinking about getting an A7... gone a bit cold on that idea since news of the upcoming BMW 640 4-door coupe, which is totally inside dribble territory.

OTOH I think it will be at least £10k more expensive than the Audi A7, so I may still regain the Audi-love.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 08:19 AM   #12
Vaheed1
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 330d M Sport

I've driven the A7. It's a beautifully build, smooth and very spacious piece of kit. The seats are gorgeous (s line) and the materials on the inside are as good as I've ever seen - even an Aston Martin DB9 (possibly!) - You will miss the high revving V8 thump of the M3 - but it's a totally different car. Have you gone for the adjustable dampers?
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2011, 02:35 PM   #13
Gibbo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Golf Ed35

The VAG supply chain is a strange set up and quoted times are all over the place.

If a car sits for 4 months my worries would be tyres flat spot(not sure if this is an issue with modern tyres), bird muck baking on the car and it not being cleaned off for weeks, risk of getting damage in storage.

I guess with you having little option over timing and it may well sit at the central audi storage in the UK for a couple of months and get called off by the dealer nearer the time.

If you are concerned have a good chat with the dealer on what they can do to store the car for someone who is a car enthusiast like yourself.
      12-28-2011, 04:00 PM   #14
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
If it helps, I could look after the M3 so you can take delivery of the Audi earlier Paul.
      12-28-2011, 05:15 PM   #15
M3-FAST
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpgrant5 View Post
M3 fast I would drive the m3 more while you still ave the chance I think you will miss it when it is gone, other than the trips to the petrol station did u not fancy the incoming f10 550d ?
I will miss the M3 in lots of ways but in other ways it has become tiring. Strange thing to say I know, but you can rarely use the power without catching up with the next slowcoach in front. I am putting £95 a week in fuel for less than 200 miles which is now starting to p!ss me off also. It is also a pain on the increasing amount of speed bumps and speed cushions that seem to crop up everywhere around Stafford. I can drive the missus Passat CC without even thinking about them, where the front splitter of the M3 grates over every one!

BUT it has a sublime V8, sounds fantastic, makes me smile when I do get chance to give it the beans and is a proper headturner! All that I will defo miss!

I liked the F10, even in 530D guise but just fancied a change away from BMW I think - it was all just a little too familiar inside after 5 years in E9x's - maybe if I do miss the V8 too much I will return in an F10 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KadeSdad View Post
Good choice Paul. Though I have to say I miss the V8, so much so I have lined up a C63 AMG (2012) for the weekend!
Seen the other thread Marcus - some amazing deals on the AMG as the mo, but defo dont get that red one - it's not the best colour for one! I do love the blue M3 though!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaishang View Post
Well hope you enjoy the car whenever it is you pick it up

Remember I said I was thinking about getting an A7... gone a bit cold on that idea since news of the upcoming BMW 640 4-door coupe, which is totally inside dribble territory.

OTOH I think it will be at least £10k more expensive than the Audi A7, so I may still regain the Audi-love.
I also looked at the 4 door 6 series BUT there was 2 issues for me - one being the lead time - it isnt goint to be released and available in time for my swap and secondly it is not a 5 seater. The centre seat is next to useless and with a 2 year old and a 12 year old (and the possibility of another in the near future) it would make it a wrong choice for me. BMW have dropped a bollock there as VAG have realised with the Passat CC and the A7 - released as 4 seaters and quickly changed to 5 seaters as standard (with a 4 seat no cost option)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaheed1 View Post
I've driven the A7. It's a beautifully build, smooth and very spacious piece of kit. The seats are gorgeous (s line) and the materials on the inside are as good as I've ever seen - even an Aston Martin DB9 (possibly!) - You will miss the high revving V8 thump of the M3 - but it's a totally different car. Have you gone for the adjustable dampers?
My extended test drive really impressed me, mainly down to the fact that the interior felt so special compared to my E90 and the F10. I didn't spec the air suspension as it was a £2k option and was already up to budget on the few options I had already spec'd - it would have meant dropping to SE or losing the S-tronic gearbox - neither were an option!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
The VAG supply chain is a strange set up and quoted times are all over the place.

If a car sits for 4 months my worries would be tyres flat spot(not sure if this is an issue with modern tyres), bird muck baking on the car and it not being cleaned off for weeks, risk of getting damage in storage.

I guess with you having little option over timing and it may well sit at the central audi storage in the UK for a couple of months and get called off by the dealer nearer the time.

If you are concerned have a good chat with the dealer on what they can do to store the car for someone who is a car enthusiast like yourself.
I had not thought about the tyres and bird muck issues - hopefully it will have a good layer of transit wax on that might help protect it - I will end up driving to the storage car pack every weekend to check on it ha ha - it happens to be the local Screwfix direct overspill car park - Audi have taken over it and use it as their new car storage yard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post
If it helps, I could look after the M3 so you can take delivery of the Audi earlier Paul.
Not a problem Will, I will PM you my bank details for you to transfer the finance payments into
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 03:01 AM   #16
kaishang
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 E90 330d

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-FAST View Post
I will miss the M3 in lots of ways but in other ways it has become tiring. Strange thing to say I know, but you can rarely use the power without catching up with the next slowcoach in front.
You should drive a motorbike. That problem goes away

Quote:
Not a problem Will, I will PM you my bank details for you to transfer the finance payments into
True brotherly love on E90Post!

Quote:
My extended test drive really impressed me, mainly down to the fact that the interior felt so special compared to my E90 and the F10. I didn't spec the air suspension as it was a £2k option and was already up to budget on the few options I had already spec'd - it would have meant dropping to SE or losing the S-tronic gearbox - neither were an option!

If I get an A7, it will have to be the SE. I don't like the dark seats which seem to be compulsory in the sport model. (Also one of the reasons why I didn't buy a 335d last time around; it only comes in M-sport and M-sport only comes with dark seats). I haven't reasearched Audi gearboxes - is S-tronic a double clutch automated-manual box? What is the other box?

The A7 is looking like reasonable value. I specced a 245hp diesel Quattro SE up on the Audi website and got it to £57k with a lot of gadgets. The BMW 640 will probably start off at £62k. You always get a discount but the BMW starts off alot more expensive.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 06:07 AM   #17
M3-FAST
England
Rep

Garage List
Your correct, the s tonic is the double clutch gearbox, same as BMW's DCT. The other option is the multi-tonic box with is a sort of CVT transmission. Basically crap! Lol

I wouldn't expect any discount off the 6 series GT when it arrives, BMW are notorious for heavily discounting outgoing models and giving away nothing on the new ones for at least 6 months

I know what you mean about the seat options on the S line, it's any colour so long as its black!!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 06:14 AM   #18
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
I wouldn't worry overly Paul; you'll be pissed again on Saturday night so will have little relevance
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 01:21 PM   #19
M3-FAST
England
Rep

Garage List
Well I spoke to the dealer today an expressed my concerns about the car arriving so early and standing around.

They were as surprised as I was apparantly and really don't know why it has been built so early but he did say that they have had a couple of A6's arrive similarly early!

As for tyre flat spots I think they will be apparent as soon as I drive the thing so I there is any kind of vibration it will be going straight back for new tyres! I might ask them of they can over inflate them whilst it is standing?

They are also investigating to see if it's ok to leave the shipping wrapping on to help protect the paint from the elements and bird crap etc! I await their response on that.

As for warranties and service intervals etc they all start from pdi/delivery date and these won't be done until just before delivery

I did comment that if Audi wanted to clear the last 3 lease payments on the M3 I would have the car early but I think it fell on dead ears ha ha

Looking forward to going to view it now when it arrives at the dealership. I must praise Stafford Audi so far, since the initial blip, communication has since been excellent with calls/emails attended to promptly. Makes a refreshing change!!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 01:22 PM   #20
M3-FAST
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerxp View Post
I wouldn't worry overly Paul; you'll be pissed again on Saturday night so will have little relevance
Your right Rog! New years eve party round at mine.....gonna get messy
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 01:36 PM   #21
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

Why not advertise the M3 after you have asked the lease company what they will sell it to you for, that way you can probably pocket a few quid and get into the new car a bit earlier.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2011, 05:23 PM   #22
M3-FAST
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyk31 View Post
Why not advertise the M3 after you have asked the lease company what they will sell it to you for, that way you can probably pocket a few quid and get into the new car a bit earlier.
Might be an option....hadn't thought of that and to be honest well spec'd LCi E90 M3's are quite thin on the ground. Plenty of pre LCi with manual boxes and the old DVD based nav.

I will see if I can get a settlement figure next week
Appreciate 0