E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Blackberry Playbook

01-03-2012, 11:50 AM   #1
CHG
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: A Variety of 4 Wheeled Things

Blackberry Playbook

As above, anyone got one/used one?

Currys have them on offer at £169 at the moment which seems cheap, and will give me something to use until the iPad 3 comes out!

As always, your thoughts are welcome chaps!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 12:58 PM   #2
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
My mate purchased one for his daughter for Xmas, I used it the other night and it seems pretty good! Lacking on apps compared to the iPad and the screen is quite a bit smaller.

Seem very good value and far better than some of these cheap android tablets knocking about
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 02:08 PM   #3
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Huracan Evo & M8 GC

I have a Playbook which I've only had for a few days - I got it given to me just before Christmas (all part of my job....it's a tough life, but someone's got to do it ) and compared to my iPad it's a much handier size and it makes nice a click sound when you push the buttons...much like the door thunk on a BMW sounds much better than it does on a Peugeot, the sound it makes when you touch the screen is nicer than the iPad.

However, as you can tell I'm clutching at straws with this as in most other respects, the iPad appears to be the better device (save for the lack of flash player on the iPad but thats not causing me any real issues). The interface on the Playbook isn't as smooth, it's not as intuitive to use and, this is the biggie.....for some reason RIM failed to install a calendar or any form of ability to sync your emails with the Playbook!

It's bizarre that a Blackberry product can't do these two basic functions but it appears to be designed to tether with a Blackberry phone to use these functions rather than operate as a standalone device! RIM appear to have realised what a balls-up these omissions are and are doing an update in Feb to add this functionality

However, the Playbook is a good 1/3 of the price of an iPad and it does appear to allow me to post on this forum without quitting the browser all the time so it's not all bad! For the price it's a neat device and you've got to consider that it's major failings will be corrected in a few weeks.

Why don't you forget about buying one....come and get a new contract phone from me (www.mobiles.co.uk or www.e2save.com) and get a Playbook FREE!!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 02:30 PM   #4
CHG
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmnuts View Post
I have a Playbook which I've only had for a few days - I got it given to me just before Christmas (all part of my job....it's a tough life, but someone's got to do it ) and compared to my iPad it's a much handier size and it makes nice a click sound when you push the buttons...much like the door thunk on a BMW sounds much better than it does on a Peugeot, the sound it makes when you touch the screen is nicer than the iPad.

However, as you can tell I'm clutching at straws with this as in most other respects, the iPad appears to be the better device (save for the lack of flash player on the iPad but thats not causing me any real issues). The interface on the Playbook isn't as smooth, it's not as intuitive to use and, this is the biggie.....for some reason RIM failed to install a calendar or any form of ability to sync your emails with the Playbook!

It's bizarre that a Blackberry product can't do these two basic functions but it appears to be designed to tether with a Blackberry phone to use these functions rather than operate as a standalone device! RIM appear to have realised what a balls-up these omissions are and are doing an update in Feb to add this functionality

However, the Playbook is a good 1/3 of the price of an iPad and it does appear to allow me to post on this forum without quitting the browser all the time so it's not all bad! For the price it's a neat device and you've got to consider that it's major failings will be corrected in a few weeks.

Why don't you forget about buying one....come and get a new contract phone from me (www.mobiles.co.uk or www.e2save.com) and get a Playbook FREE!!
Cheers for that Andrew! The reason I was considering it was that I can tether it with my Blackberry without the need for a separate 3g data contract.

I will get the ipad 3 but want something in the mean time.

Don't fancy selling me your Playbook do you Andrew? My contract isn't up till whenever the iPhone 5 comes out
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 02:39 PM   #5
Palmnuts
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Huracan Evo & M8 GC

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHG View Post
Cheers for that Andrew! The reason I was considering it was that I can tether it with my Blackberry without the need for a separate 3g data contract.

I will get the ipad 3 but want something in the mean time.

Don't fancy selling me your Playbook do you Andrew? My contract isn't up till whenever the iPhone 5 comes out
Errrm....no - I've given to Vicki and it'd be a bit mean to take it away so soon

Let me see what price I can sell a standalone device for - lol at Currys showing it coming down from £399 to £169....what a load of bullshit! IIRC we had it at under £200 for most of December so this is a perfect example of Curry's giving the impression it's worth a lot more than you're paying! You shouldn't buy it from them on principle

Anyway, I can't imagine theres a lot of margin in it at £169 but let me check tomorrow to see if I can do a little bit off for you and I'll let you know.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 02:43 PM   #6
CHG
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Errrm....no - I've given to Vicki and it'd be a bit mean to take it away so soon

Let me see what price I can sell a standalone device for - lol at Currys showing it coming down from £399 to £169....what a load of bullshit! IIRC we had it at under £200 for most of December so this is a perfect example of Curry's giving the impression it's worth a lot more than you're paying! You shouldn't buy it from them on principle

Anyway, I can't imagine theres a lot of margin in it at £169 but let me check tomorrow to see if I can do a little bit off for you and I'll let you know.

That would be WONDERFUL! Cheers mate!!!

I'll buy you a beer
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2012, 03:26 PM   #7
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

Quote:

Currys have been dreadful for that this festive period.

Adverts on the TV making a big deal about massive savings on laptops and TVs when it's simply not the case.

Reading the small print often the products were only available at substantially over-inflated for one week.

There was no genuine saving and totally misleading customers.

Should be made illegal.
Appreciate 0
      02-02-2012, 08:33 PM   #8
ZZZZ
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i winterbeater

I know this thread is a month old, but just wanted to put in my two cents as I'm also looking to purchase a Playbook and have been doing some research. (hence stumbling upon this thread, trying to find if there is a car mount for this thing in the e90 that looks 'clean'.)

Anyway---Playbook OS 2.0 is coming in 2 weeks which will resolve some of the issues in the above post:

Calendar application
Full E-Mail Syncing along with tabbed emails and linking to facebook/twitter/etc.
Support to play Android games/apps (which solves the lack of apps issue)

There's a lot of other stuff too such as being able to use your blackberry phone keyboard to type on the playbook screen and use your blackberry phone mouse/touch thing which gives a mouse cursor on the screen. Neither of which is useful to me as I don't own a blackberry phone, but could be useful to you.

Also on a side note, The playbook is running QNX which is the same kernel that powers all the computers in our BMW including iDrive/navigation, airbags, abs, etc. etc.. just something I found interesting.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 03:43 PM   #9
CHG
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I bought the Playbook in the end, and I've been using it for 2 weeks - and I love it!

As I live with my Blackberry phone anyway, it works perfectly, and I love the fact whatever is on the phone is synced to the playbook. I spend a lot of time travelling so the 7" size is perfect!

Built in Word, Excel and Powerpoint do their job, and I worked on a fairly complicated spreadsheet on the train the other day with no problems, and it really is much easier to read emails on!

Also another advantage over the iPad is that you just drag and drop almost any format of film onto it and it just works, unlike iPad's set in stone format.

I thought I'd be really looking forward to the Os 2 platform, but I actually don't really care about it - if you have a Blackberry smartphone it's brilliant - if not, I wouldn't bother for the moment.

Interesting note on the QNX though.

Last edited by CHG; 02-03-2012 at 03:49 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 04:28 PM   #10
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHG View Post
I bought the Playbook in the end, and I've been using it for 2 weeks - and I love it!

As I live with my Blackberry phone anyway, it works perfectly, and I love the fact whatever is on the phone is synced to the playbook. I spend a lot of time travelling so the 7" size is perfect!

Built in Word, Excel and Powerpoint do their job, and I worked on a fairly complicated spreadsheet on the train the other day with no problems, and it really is much easier to read emails on!

Also another advantage over the iPad is that you just drag and drop almost any format of film onto it and it just works, unlike iPad's set in stone format.

I thought I'd be really looking forward to the Os 2 platform, but I actually don't really care about it - if you have a Blackberry smartphone it's brilliant - if not, I wouldn't bother for the moment.

Interesting note on the QNX though.
Sounds like you are well happy...I had a play last April/May and did really like.

P.s CineXplayer on iPad play avi's/xVids
      02-05-2012, 05:49 AM   #11
Sportplus
Lieutenant
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 318i M Sport E91

Quote:
PM sent Palms
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 12:57 PM   #12
Ti Rich
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche Macan S D

I have had one from the first day they came out. Overall very pleased with it and now at £169 a real bargain. If you register with blackberry to report bugs you can download OS2.0 (beta) now.

Been using it for weeks now!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 02:47 PM   #13
Frobius
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F11 530d M-Sport

Garage List
Haha, I was going to say, I've heard good things about them for the price. Then I realised it was on this thread that I'd heard those things when I read it the other day!