E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Anyone driven the Mini Cooper SD?

01-10-2012, 02:20 PM   #1
Snooky
Major
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5 Sportback Carbon Blac

Anyone driven the Mini Cooper SD?

With the growing community of Mini owners on here, I wondered if anyone has tried the Cooper SD? I know Gibbo has a JCW as does Palmnuts missus and Tony has a Dooper and plenty others too.

I tried a Cooper S before I bought the TT but I couldn't get a reasonable deal with the dealer so plumped for the Audi instead. I am thoroughly enjoying the TT but have decided that we will keep our A4 when the balloon payment is due and noticed that Mini are doing a 0% finance offer at the moment (pay 50% up front and the balance in 2 years with 0%). I could trade in the TT and free up most of the cash for the baloon on the A4 and avoid eating too much into savings. If I continue to put aside the same monthly amount I pay for the A4 I will have the balance due on a Mini by the end of 2 years.

So, I liked the Cooper S but after reading Tony's review of the Dooper, I wondered if the SD might be the best version for me...65mpg combined given my 18,000 miles per annum and £30 road tax sounds pretty good.

I'm taking a test drive later in the week but wondered if others had already had a go.

Cheers
      01-10-2012, 02:30 PM   #2
IanM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i M Sport Touring

I have, a hatch with the sport kit, loved it. Great little car with loads of go, my wife had a Clubman D (now a Countryman D) and you can really tell the difference between the D and the SD. I reckon you'll come away with a smile on your face!

Ian
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 02:37 PM   #3
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 xDrive35d M Sport

Garage List
Calling Mr Ho, Calling Mr Ho!!!!!
      01-10-2012, 02:41 PM   #4
Snooky
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanM3 View Post
I have, a hatch with the sport kit, loved it. Great little car with loads of go, my wife had a Clubman D (now a Countryman D) and you can really tell the difference between the D and the SD. I reckon you'll come away with a smile on your face!

Ian
Thanks Ian, appreciate the input. Looking forward to the test drive and will see what the numbers look like...
      01-10-2012, 03:11 PM   #5
davyk31
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS :-) & F40 M135i

I had a drive in one too. Was a little disappointed in the power, they are fairly swift but not an out and out performance car. Good economy though and decent pace makes it a nice proposition.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 03:12 PM   #6
E92Fan
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: .

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVIEHOOPS View Post
Calling Mr Ho, Calling Mr Ho!!!!!
Who woke me up?

The Cooper SD is a fabulous little car. All the go-kart handling of a regular Mini, more real-world overtaking punch than the Cooper S (unless you rev the nuts of the Cooper S) but without the outright grunt and off-the-line go, 50+mpg real world with only £30 road tax. What's not to like?!

Honestly, the SD engine is really good. Very strong in the midrange, does tail off a bit at the top but then it's a small capacity diesel so expected. Avoid runflat tyres, do get the Harman Kardon hifi (it's epic), heated seats and front windscreen an absolute boon as they work so quickly, Chilli pack is essential (xenons, fogs, sport seats etc etc). Nav is really good, but a bit pricey. Visual boost radio gives a nice display in the middle of the speedo, but kind of pointless unless you get the full Nav. Basic Bluetooth and USB comes in the Chilli pack which is more or less sufficient unless you want to use a cradle for charging etc.

Sport button is a novelty but I prefer the weight of the steering without it on unless I'm tearing around a track. Brakes are good on the SD, not so good on the regular Dooper. Sunroof - fantastic thing and makes a big difference to the cabin. Comfort access is pointless IMO as there are only two doors anyway.

Great car and I would have had the Cooper SD if it weren't for the fact that I live in London, and don't have to pay the congestion charge with a regular Dooper.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 03:33 PM   #7
Hoops
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 xDrive35d M Sport

Garage List
See, told you he would know!!!
      01-10-2012, 03:43 PM   #8
Snooky
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyk31 View Post
I had a drive in one too. Was a little disappointed in the power, they are fairly swift but not an out and out performance car. Good economy though and decent pace makes it a nice proposition.
I guess that is the compromise! Your comments do not surprise me at all, cheers

Quote:
Originally Posted by E92Fan View Post
Who woke me up?

The Cooper SD is a fabulous little car. All the go-kart handling of a regular Mini, more real-world overtaking punch than the Cooper S (unless you rev the nuts of the Cooper S) but without the outright grunt and off-the-line go, 50+mpg real world with only £30 road tax. What's not to like?!

Honestly, the SD engine is really good. Very strong in the midrange, does tail off a bit at the top but then it's a small capacity diesel so expected. Avoid runflat tyres, do get the Harman Kardon hifi (it's epic), heated seats and front windscreen an absolute boon as they work so quickly, Chilli pack is essential (xenons, fogs, sport seats etc etc). Nav is really good, but a bit pricey. Visual boost radio gives a nice display in the middle of the speedo, but kind of pointless unless you get the full Nav. Basic Bluetooth and USB comes in the Chilli pack which is more or less sufficient unless you want to use a cradle for charging etc.

Sport button is a novelty but I prefer the weight of the steering without it on unless I'm tearing around a track. Brakes are good on the SD, not so good on the regular Dooper. Sunroof - fantastic thing and makes a big difference to the cabin. Comfort access is pointless IMO as there are only two doors anyway.

Great car and I would have had the Cooper SD if it weren't for the fact that I live in London, and don't have to pay the congestion charge with a regular Dooper.
Cheers Tony - very helpful...I may need to have another play with the configurator....already running into scary numbers for a mini!!

I have got used to 50mpg in the diesel TT and the £30 road tax will be most welcome! I knew you had gone for the Dooper to avoid congestion charge etc. Thankfully, not a consideration for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVIEHOOPS View Post
See, told you he would know!!!
Cheers Hoops! Good to see you back on here fella!
      01-10-2012, 04:12 PM   #9
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:
Who woke me up?

Its like the classic great diesel vs great petrol BM debate that will rage eternal
      01-10-2012, 04:26 PM   #10
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
Quote:
£30 road tax
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 04:26 PM   #11
Gibbo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Golf Ed35

Snooky, I have never driven an SD but owned an S for 6 months and now had the JCW for 7 months.

My thoughts:

1. They both do 37 to 38mpg
2. Both on standard suspension. The 'S' non run flat conti 3s and the JCW on Dunlop runflats. I could not tell the difference between ride quality between them 99% of the time. The JCW feels a little bit more planted overall and on really rubbish roads is a bit firmer. I do not drive the car on the limit and would have the run flats for convinience if I ordered again. The car has more grip on non runflats if you hammered it in 1st or 2nd in damp conditions but I don't drive like so a non issue for me.

3. Spec you do not have to go daft.

-Lounge leather really nice and worth the extra over punch leather. From memory you get contrasting trim at zero cost if you want with this option.
- Heated seats
- Auto dim mirror - had on so many cars and should be standard
- Chili pack
- Hardon Karmon sounds, have on the JCW - is really good and the standard system is poor on the S.

I think thats about all plus metallic on the JCW and I have on either and do not miss anything as you get 17", Phone, i pod conection, dab xenons, etc in the chilli.

You can now get the JCW bodykit factory fitted on the SD so if you like the look it may be worth the extra cash. For me a std ish model will do the job and day to day won't be much slower than the JCW.

I drive mainly in sports mode as I prefer the throttle response. I think as Tony says non sports steering has a bit more natural feel but with the sports button pressed the engine pops and bangs so it's more fun in this mode on the JCW.

So after a year in Mini's do I like them 'yes' am I looking at other cars at the moment 'always' but would only swap it for something more practical for the family and would not buy another 'fun' car as this does the job.
      01-11-2012, 03:09 AM   #12
davyk31
Major General
Rep

Just to counter my comments, although I was not overwhelmed with the performance I did very nearly buy one. My dealer had 2 brand new pre reg cars with the Sport Pack at very decent savings. The deal on my 335d wasn't good enough for me to give it up so nothing proceeded. Would still consider one in the future but was keen to see how values on them went after they have been out a year or so.

There were quite a few pre reg cars about at that time, Sept, guess there should still be and good savings to be made, think the car I looked at was £19700 against a list of about £22700.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 04:31 AM   #13
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
Snooky, I have never driven an SD but owned an S for 6 months and now had the JCW for 7 months.

My thoughts:

1. They both do 37 to 38mpg
2. Both on standard suspension. The 'S' non run flat conti 3s and the JCW on Dunlop runflats. I could not tell the difference between ride quality between them 99% of the time. The JCW feels a little bit more planted overall and on really rubbish roads is a bit firmer. I do not drive the car on the limit and would have the run flats for convinience if I ordered again. The car has more grip on non runflats if you hammered it in 1st or 2nd in damp conditions but I don't drive like so a non issue for me.

3. Spec you do not have to go daft.

-Lounge leather really nice and worth the extra over punch leather. From memory you get contrasting trim at zero cost if you want with this option.
- Heated seats
- Auto dim mirror - had on so many cars and should be standard
- Chili pack
- Hardon Karmon sounds, have on the JCW - is really good and the standard system is poor on the S.

I think thats about all plus metallic on the JCW and I have on either and do not miss anything as you get 17", Phone, i pod conection, dab xenons, etc in the chilli.

You can now get the JCW bodykit factory fitted on the SD so if you like the look it may be worth the extra cash. For me a std ish model will do the job and day to day won't be much slower than the JCW.

I drive mainly in sports mode as I prefer the throttle response. I think as Tony says non sports steering has a bit more natural feel but with the sports button pressed the engine pops and bangs so it's more fun in this mode on the JCW.

So after a year in Mini's do I like them 'yes' am I looking at other cars at the moment 'always' but would only swap it for something more practical for the family and would not buy another 'fun' car as this does the job.
Auto dim mirror isn't standard yet....balls just check and the one I am looking at doesn't have this list

Is sport button standard on the Cooper S mate?
      01-11-2012, 04:47 AM   #14
davyk31
Major General
Rep

Sport button standard in the Cooper S Chilli pack for sure, may be standard in the non Chilli S but don't buy one without Chilli, hurts residuals badly.
Appreciate 0