E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Lucky Escape!

01-10-2012, 05:37 PM   #1
RockIt
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: Mercedes C350 Coupe

Garage List
Lucky Escape!

Driving across to band practice this evening I got pulled by an unmarked car...after overtaking it!

There is a cracking stretch of country road which until very recently was a derestricted. Sweeping bend followed by a long straight downhill and a gentle slope up. It is now a 40 all the way. Not a built up area, but the odd house. Anyway, car in front of me is a Volvo estate and I was getting a touch frustrated that he wasn't using full beam to light up the road ahead as we went through the twisties approaching this straight. I didn't observe anything unusual about the car, but then I wasn't really looking.

As soon as I saw a clear road ahead I went for it. Yes I did know I would exceed the new limit... Anyway, I quickly braked as there are some traffic lights at a junction that change very quickly. I go through the lights at 40, then accelerate again, noticing that the Volvo appears to be suddenly keeping up! Then the blue lights go on and realisation dawns! We pull into a gateway and I expect the worst.

' Any reason why you should overtake a police car in a 40?'
' No officer'

Then followed a reasonable explanation as to why it is now a 40, was my licence clean? Job? Your car? Did I realise I had exceeded 70mph? How would a court appearance reflect on my job? All this outside the cars, with me answering calmly and politely, offering no bullshit and the copper being straight and decent.

Right sir, you clearly have the car for the job and you're an intelligent guy, so don't let yourself down and think about it. You don't need a bollocking from me, so think on. Goodnight and drive safely!'

'Er...right...thank you!'

Think that's all my luck used up for the next several months! I can guess that he didn't have anything recorded to prove what speed I was doing, but I still feel damned lucky. I do think my attitude and immediate apology helped as well.He even told me what to look for on unmarked cars!

RockIt!

Last edited by RockIt; 01-10-2012 at 06:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 05:56 PM   #2
Kerr
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW M235I

They are not all bad.

To be as nice as that for doing 70mph in a 40MPH zone was exceptionaly nice.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 06:09 PM   #3
Hotcoupe
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Don't know yet!

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockIt View Post
Think that's all my luck used up for the next several months! I can guess that he didn't have anything recorded to prove what speed I was doing, but I still feel damned lucky. I do think my attitude and immediate apology helped as well.He even told me what to look for on unmarked cars!
More a case of respect for your vocation and your attitude in my opinion,I'm sure if you'd been a cock he'd have done you.

Nice touch from Plod though
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 01:38 AM   #4
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Quote:
Driving across to band practice this evening I got pulled by an unmarked car...
I'll be honest Gav, I was expecting something a bit racier after the opening line.
      01-11-2012, 04:20 AM   #5
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:
. I do think my attitude and immediate apology helped as well.He even told me what to look for on unmarked cars!
Lucky and Yeap I think being nice helps. They must see sme right cocks.

I got pulled in the misses 'vert with roof down and my shades on. First thing I did was take the glasses off and say yes i am sorry....just got a quick glad you know what you did wrong, don't do it again. And you know what it worked.....I behave on tha bit of road now!

So what do we need to look out for on the unmarked cars Gav?
      01-11-2012, 04:50 AM   #6
chrisbin
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 640i MSport Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMP View Post
First thing I did was take the glasses off and say yes i am sorry....just got a quick glad you know what you did wrong, don't do it again.
............seems a bit harsh for just but I guess if they were really poor glasses......

Previous - Alpina D3 BiTurbo E90 LCI Manual, 320d M Sport E92 Auto, 330i M Sport E92 courtesy of BMW UK....320i M Sport E92 Auto, 320d SE E90 Manual.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 04:55 AM   #7
Jon D
Brigadier General
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2022 840d

Politeness always pays dividends and, just sometimes, you meet a decent copper.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 05:51 AM   #8
RagingKileak
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 CS

Sounds like a close shave mate, glad you got away with it

Matt
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 07:57 AM   #9
rich1068
has left the building
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 330d M Sport

I don't know if any of you saw the Traffic Cops thing last night but the arrogance and rudeness of some of the people they pull is truly breathtaking. The guy they pulled over in the MKIV Golf that wasn't wearing a seatbelt for example. And the Traffic Officer had to offer him some sort of crappy free awareness course rather than a fine. The guy was openly insulting the copper but just walked away without even a slap on the wrist.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 08:25 AM   #10
Baby Dave
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: E90 320d m sport

Like in every walk of life you only hear about the idiots. Glad you met a good one. But letting a Volvo keep up is a bit poor
      01-11-2012, 08:58 AM   #11
dxb335d
The Tarmac Terrorist
England
Rep
Drives: 997.2 GT3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich1068 View Post
I don't know if any of you saw the Traffic Cops thing last night but the arrogance and rudeness of some of the people they pull is truly breathtaking. The guy they pulled over in the MKIV Golf that wasn't wearing a seatbelt for example. And the Traffic Officer had to offer him some sort of crappy free awareness course rather than a fine. The guy was openly insulting the copper but just walked away without even a slap on the wrist.
I didn't see that episode, but your right. Some of them are darn right disgusting.
      01-11-2012, 09:07 AM   #12
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
Good result Gavin, a bit of luck getting that "police-man-officer" (quote Hot Fuzz), many others might not have been so lenient.

Many moons ago I undercut an undercover car coming home from a night out in Manchester on the A6, I quickly realised who I'd undertaken from their changed driving behavour, so drove like a saint - he followed me for about 5 miles before red lights meant he could pull alongside me - I'd already lowered my window for the bollocking, he just said "that's better now isn't it", did a u-turn, and drove off. I was about 19 in a brand new Probe (yeah OK!!), with 3 pissed up mates in the car, can't believe they didn't do more checks but then again it was a few years ago .
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 02:01 PM   #13
RockIt
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: Mercedes C350 Coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TMP View Post
So what do we need to look out for on the unmarked cars Gav?
Mostly stuff I already knew, but wasn't paying attention to at the time on a relatively quiet road! Additional roof rails to mount stuff, fire extinguisher showing in the back, lights inset into rear bumper and front. I'm usually good at spotting them, but I was intent on looking at the road ahead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingKileak View Post
Sounds like a close shave mate, glad you got away with it

Matt
So am I mate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerxp View Post
Good result Gavin, a bit of luck getting that "police-man-officer" (quote Hot Fuzz), many others might not have been so lenient.
I certainly thought I was in for it and was distinctly relieved to only receive a 'talking to'!

RockIt!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 02:57 PM   #14
Snooky
Major
Rep
Drives: Audi RS5 Sportback Carbon Blac

Nice one, Gav! Glad you met a good'un!