F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > 3 and 4 Series Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum (and European Delivery) > Critique this austere build
GetBMWParts

01-10-2012, 07:44 PM   #1
Ron Scott
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 335 M Sport

Critique this austere build

Here's what I discussed with 2 dealers today. Would be interested in your thoughts:
  • Sports Line
  • Manual
  • Black metallic/Black leatherette w/ red stitch/gloss black trim w/ red accent stripe
  • Cold pack

Looking for a back to basics car. Hate BMW leather. Will not buy car without butt warmer after driving wife’s Lexus. Own iPhone (don’t need nav-system). Know how to change lanes, read road signs, and parallel park by myself. Haven't hit baby on little tricycle behind car ever.

Get the rough-brushed aluminum vs. high-gloss black trim?

Money's not the issue. I'm not into lots of electronics. What am I missing?

Thanks guys!
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 07:50 PM   #2
stampchez
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

Sounds great. You don't need all the junk to have fun. My 135i only has sport package and ipod and have enjoyed it for years.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 07:54 PM   #3
chris@strutmonkey
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

If you do not want heated seats, then why the cold weather package?

I hate all the electronics, too. I even hate the Nav screen and the iDrive.

The only things I would add are the shift paddles and fold down rear seat.

Good luck, Chris
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2012, 08:02 PM   #4
Ron Scott
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 335 M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by craesq View Post
If you do not want heated seats, then why the cold weather package?

I hate all the electronics, too. I even hate the Nav screen and the iDrive.

The only things I would add are the shift paddles and fold down rear seat.

Good luck, Chris
I hear ya. Not sure what the real benefits are for the newer sensor electronics. BTW, I said I would not buy WITHOUT butt warmer...old now...and spoiled.

Manual, not paddles. Fold down for sure, thx.

Last edited by Ron Scott; 01-10-2012 at 08:09 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 12:23 AM   #5
pcbrew
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i 6MT

Actually sounds OK. I am thinking along similar lines, sort of...

My E46 LCI 330i will be 10 years old in the fall. I could not warm up to the E90, even after LCI. IMO the F30 is a big improvement over E90 in both interior and exterior. So, I was planning a big splash with another ED - 335i, M-Sport, Premium, Tech Package, Adaptive M-suspension.

However, a multitude of things have dulled my enthusiasm.
  1. Limited exterior color options for M-Sport - want Imperial Blue
  2. Limited exterior color options for M-Sport - want gray leather
  3. Realizing I always like the looks of the LCI much better,
  4. Watching all the small tech updates to the F10 in the first 2 model years and even within model years (expecting full black panel in 1-2 years)
Since, I really do need to replace my E46, which is getting very long in the tooth, I started looking at other options: CPO E90 and even the new A3. But for about the same amount, I can get a 328i + ZSL for <$35K (ED invoice+$750).

So, I am now considering getting this stripper 328i on a 3y lease to hold me over until the tech stuff has matured, the LCI is out, and hopefully the color options have expended more to my liking and there is a bump to the N55 power.

Sure, no xenons, sunroof, power seats leather, nav, hud, etc. but there is still a decent list of standard features. But I will get the N20 with +15Hp and +40 lb/ft over my M54B30 and adding ZSL gets me the BMW handling goodness all those Luxury and Modern buyers will never have. About the only thing I would add, if available standalone would be the xenons w/angel eyes.

The one thing I cannot decide on is whether to go all in on BMW high tech powertrain and try the ZF 8AT. I know it's faster and supposed to be more efficiant that the 6MT now but I have only driven manuals all my life and I am having trouble with this.

Last edited by pcbrew; 01-11-2012 at 11:19 PM.. Reason: clarify
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 07:29 AM   #6
MassBimmer
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 i4 M50

Garage List
2009 BMW  [9.24]
You'll be amazed at how much you miss the little things in the Premium Package...like autodimming mirrors
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 08:02 AM   #7
unintelligible
Computer Janitor
Rep
Drives: '12 F30 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassBimmer View Post
You'll be amazed at how much you miss the little things in the Premium Package...like autodimming mirrors
335i comes with auto dimming interior mirror standard. All you lose is the auto dimming exterior mirrors, so that's something.

Ron - I like your build. For me it's either going to be a 328i ZSL with ZPP & Xenons, or a 335i with just ZSL. Both manual and both with fold down seats & ZPS. Configured in that way there's only a 2-3k difference between the cars. I am going to be leasing, however, and the residuals on the 335i are usually 1% lower than the 328i, and sometimes the MF higher as well, so that makes the decision a bit tougher.

It'll come down to what the leasing numbers look like between the cars and what kind of deal I can swing (hoping to find a dealer that will agree to ED invoice + 1k). In the long run I think I would be happier with the 335i if the only major thing I am losing is leather seats. But then again, the N20 isn't too much slower than the N55, insurance rates would be lower, gas expenses would be lower...
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 08:06 PM   #8
Yobyot
Major
Rep
Drives: MY19 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Scott View Post
Here's what I discussed with 2 dealers today. Would be interested in your thoughts:
  • Sports Line
  • Manual
  • Black metallic/Black leatherette w/ red stitch/gloss black trim w/ red accent stripe
  • Cold pack

Looking for a back to basics car. Hate BMW leather. Will not buy car without butt warmer after driving wife’s Lexus. Own iPhone (don’t need nav-system). Know how to change lanes, read road signs, and parallel park by myself. Haven't hit baby on little tricycle behind car ever.

Thanks guys!
Interesting! I have an F30 335i ZSL order in with over $12K in options. I bought everything except Parking Assistant.

For me, the more infotainment/technology that's in a car today, the more I enjoy it. In fact, my first BMW -- a 2006 E90 330i -- is the car that convinced me that all my future cars would be loaded to the gills with whatever tech the manufacturer offers.

I just bought my wife a Volvo XC60 on their overseas delivery program -- and we loaded it up with everything they offered as well. I loved driving it.

Your old-school order makes sense, but I think the fact that manufacturers are competing on their tech (even Ford crams their cars with these options and Caddy's new ATS premiers their new infotainment system) means that buyers are more like me than like you.

The real question is will there be any difference in resale value after four or five years between a car like mine and a car like yours? IOW, is the cost of all those toys something the buyer eats the total cost of?

I won't know until I sell my E90 when my F30 is redelivered at the end of the summer.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2012, 11:31 PM   #9
pcbrew
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yobyot View Post
The real question is will there be any difference in resale value after four or five years between a car like mine and a car like yours? IOW, is the cost of all those toys something the buyer eats the total cost of?

I won't know until I sell my E90 when my F30 is redelivered at the end of the summer.
I think it depends a lot on how old the car is at resale and also how late into the model cycle did you buy. The older the tech is, the less value it will have, assuming typical advances.

Things like Nav can get stale quickly as new tech comes out
  • competition from smartphones
  • bigger & higher resolution displays
  • faster processors
  • better user interfaces - touchscreen & voice activation
  • advance in storage : DVD -> HDD -> Flash (future)
I look at the Nav we have in our 2007 T&C minivan that was the last year of than body style and it is downright ancient already - DVD-based, has a small 3" screen and tiny dials/buttons for input.

Maybe Nav tech is going to plateau soon, but I do not think BMW is there yet. They need voice input and better net connectivity to search for latest POI updates, traffic, weather, etc.

I know camera tech is still evolving, so what you have in the F30 may seem essentially worthless in 6 years.

Of course if you lease, you have shorter horizons and guaranteed costs locked in, regardless.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 11:31 PM   #10
90degreeman
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Crappy 2001 Accord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Scott View Post
  • Sports Line
  • Manual
  • Cold pack

Thanks guys!
lmao...macho man. that's right. badass config, I love it. Personally, I am too much of a ***** to get a manual (although I know how to drive one). My rational behind most of the things I DIDN'T get are as follows (very similar to yours...the typical macho man rational)

- Parking package - A man must know how to park his car.
- Changing lanes - A man must know how to use the side mirrors
- Speed limit info - A man must not follow the speed limit
- BMW Assist - A man must be prepared for emergencies and be able to sustain himself if deserted by his beloved (the car). No woman/car no cry.
- Lane departure? - Jesus...might as well stop driving at that point

Check this
http://www.f30post.com/goodiesforyou.../P90081927.jpg
for a good idea on how the aluminum trim + black stripe looks like. IMHO, it looks beautiful and harmonic with the rest of the interior. The red or blue stripe, IMHO, is distracting.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 10:33 AM   #11
justinnum1
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 330i Msport 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90degreeman View Post
lmao...macho man. that's right. badass config, I love it. Personally, I am too much of a ***** to get a manual (although I know how to drive one). My rational behind most of the things I DIDN'T get are as follows (very similar to yours...the typical macho man rational)

- Parking package - A man must know how to park his car.
- Changing lanes - A man must know how to use the side mirrors
- Speed limit info - A man must not follow the speed limit
- BMW Assist - A man must be prepared for emergencies and be able to sustain himself if deserted by his beloved (the car). No woman/car no cry.
- Lane departure? - Jesus...might as well stop driving at that point

Check this
http://www.f30post.com/goodiesforyou.../P90081927.jpg
for a good idea on how the aluminum trim + black stripe looks like. IMHO, it looks beautiful and harmonic with the rest of the interior. The red or blue stripe, IMHO, is distracting
For sure, thats the way i ordered mine, i think it looks awesome