BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

01-12-2012, 02:18 PM   #1
hybris4u
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW 1-serie M Coupé and BMW X5

Micro-scratches in the paint

I did get my new 1M recently. I do notice in strong light like in the evening at a gas station that there are micro-scratches in the paint. Its an AW car. I have not washed the car or done anything yet. Just want to check if this is normal? I don't see it in ordinary daylight but specifically in the strong light when filling up the car. Any experience or thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 02:23 PM   #2
speedM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2106 X3 35i, 1M, 05 MCS

Quote:
Originally Posted by hybris4u View Post
I did get my new 1M recently. I do notice in strong light like in the evening at a gas station that there are micro-scratches in the paint. Its an AW car. I have not washed the car or done anything yet. Just want to check if this is normal? I don't see it in ordinary daylight but specifically in the strong light when filling up the car. Any experience or thoughts?
Dealers often wash the car, and it takes only one careless person with dirty equipment to scratch the paint. Nothing a good detail won't fix.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 02:40 PM   #3
hybris4u
Captain
Rep

@speedM: My thought was also that someone has been going over it with some dirty equipment. I will talk to my dealer as I think its a little bad on a brand new car. More scratched on the tailgate than anywhere else. Not had the AW color before so just wondering if there are some micro-scratches from factory or similar.

You know how it is when the car is brand new? Until you get your first scratches and bumps... You care a lot. *laugh*
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 04:47 PM   #4
Amnizu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 502 of 740

Very common if you let the dealer "detail' your car prior to delivery. Head over to a detailing forum and read up on how to get them out. Or PM me.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 09:25 PM   #5
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
@speedM: My thought was also that someone has been going over it with some dirty equipment. I will talk to my dealer as I think its a little bad on a brand new car. More scratched on the tailgate than anywhere else. Not had the AW color before so just wondering if there are some micro-scratches from factory or similar.

You know how it is when the car is brand new? Until you get your first scratches and bumps... You care a lot. *laugh*
Why do you think that we have dealers? That's pretty much what they do before they deliver the brand new cars for us, the paying customers! Scratch it a bit and maybe a bit of a joy ride as well and yes Sir, here is the car you were waiting since 6 months or so, thank you for choosing...you got the idea.
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 10:56 PM   #6
speedM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2106 X3 35i, 1M, 05 MCS

Quote:

AW gets very dirty in the rear of the car, especially the tailgate, from all the turbulence back there. most likely it was dirty after the PDI and they put in extra 'elbow' grease with their grit filled mitt or sponge to get it out. sigh. fortunately mine came out relatively unscathed, considering how crappy my dealer is in general.

if you look on this detailer's blog you'll see dozens of 'new' car prep (basically fixing dealer 'installed' swirls):

http://www.detailersdomain.com/Toyot...rep_b_298.html
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 09:31 AM   #7
hybris4u
Captain
Rep

Thanks guys. I have talked to BMW and Mr CAP that help them with the prep of the cars over here. They will fix anything to mint condition. My dealer is superb in general and not have had any issues with them refusing anything. I guess they care as I have bought 4 cars from them... ;-)

Was a bit curious if there was some issues from factory. BTW. I can also concur with some other thread that the paintwork is not perfect. I can find minor issues in the paint. Nothing that an ordinary driver would see or think about but Im a bit picky. ;-)
Appreciate 0