BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-12-2012, 07:48 PM   #1
danielbreese
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 1M, 02 M3, 67 Ferrari

Gear Grind

This is driving me crazy. I have only owned MTs all my life and rev match downshift, heel-toe etc. Twice since I've had my tranny fluid change, I have let the clutch out too early and have experienced a brief (1/4 second) grind before putting it back in neutral. I know i am probably being paranoid, but does this do any damage? Isn't the drain plug magnetized to collect metal debris?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2012, 11:04 PM   #2
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielbreese View Post
This is driving me crazy. I have only owned MTs all my life and rev match downshift, heel-toe etc. Twice since I've had my tranny fluid change, I have let the clutch out too early and have experienced a brief (1/4 second) grind before putting it back in neutral. I know i am probably being paranoid, but does this do any damage? Isn't the drain plug magnetized to collect metal debris?

Thanks!
Change the oil at 1200 miles and you should be fine. I did a little grinding too as I got used to it. My car has 5600 miles now and I am blown away with how good the gearbox feels.

I had an Acura TSX MT before that everybody raved about the grearbox..except me...but this one is better. I'm sure it does something to the gears but changing the gearbox oil should get most break in crap out.

Good luck..you are not alone.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 04:53 AM   #3
Ky1M
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black Z3-M///Coupe ,AW1M

Yeah fourth gear was a little hard to hit for me at first, but now I know it takes a little more effort. Anybody else ?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 04:59 AM   #4
Zuzu
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C HS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of690 View Post
Yeah fourth gear was a little hard to hit for me at first, but now I know it takes a little more effort. Anybody else ?
Nope.. That doesn't sound right mate.

Mine is smooth as silk through all six.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 07:13 AM   #5
Ky1M
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black Z3-M///Coupe ,AW1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of690 View Post

Well looks like a scope may be in the 1M's future.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 07:44 AM   #6
T1T2GRE
CW2
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1SMC - traded away

Garage List
2011 BMW 1M  [7.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuzu View Post

+1. No trouble here. The only issue I have is the CDV-related hesitancy from 1-2.
      01-13-2012, 08:53 AM   #7
robertm
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

My shifter is buttery smooth. One of the nicest I've driven. I've not changed the fluid yet but it should just be even better after that. I plan on changing my fluid in the next couple weeks (5k miles). Fourth should be the easiest gear on the shifter to find. The shifter springs back to center pretty abruptly so 4th is just straight down. That's the only issue I had the first day or two was coming to terms with how quickly it jumps back to neutral postion.

Honestly, I've never noticed the CDV issue either. I was so sure it would bug me but I've never had any issue. I am constantly lighting up the tires going into 2nd (and 3rd ) so not sure why its not evident for me when it is for others..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 09:25 AM   #8
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, i3 & track built Astra OPC

Close to the 1200mile mark now and the gear changes are smooth and precise, much different to my track toy with its GM gearbox which is notchy and requires a bit of muscle in comparison to the 1M, also the same as above, not noticed the CDV issue at all......
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 10:13 AM   #9
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

I've driven manuals since early 90s including BMWs and I think this is the nicest manual (together with the feel of my first BMW, the 318ti compact which was like tailor made for that small engine and maybe Honda S2000). It is also much much better than my old E90 330i with Mpack or the 130i hatchs that I drove. If there is a CDV issue this means that I am not detecting it yet. It is not the shortest throw though, but not really an issue either. 1-2 hesitancy that was posted here is usually temporary and gets better when the gearbox oil reaches to normal operating temperature; plus the gearbox like the rest of the car operates more precisely when you push the speed up which is nice and confidence inspiring.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 10:30 AM   #10
flzrider
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

I never experienced any gear grinding but I have noticed that it shifts much smoother if you shift gears a half second or so slower than usual. This is most likely the CDV not letting the clutch actuate as fast as I am used to. The clutch stop I made also helped out alot.
      01-13-2012, 12:14 PM   #11
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_in_London View Post
Close to the 1200mile mark now and the gear changes are smooth and precise, much different to my track toy with its GM gearbox which is notchy and requires a bit of muscle in comparison to the 1M, also the same as above, not noticed the CDV issue at all......
I also have not noticed any CDV issues with the 1M. I did in my e46 but this one is great and don't plan to touch it. I am really blown away by how good the shifting is. I drove the e90 and E46 M3s as well as several e46 325s and 330s. This is the smoothest shifting big-power gearbox I have ever driven.

On the fluid, I believe there WAS a reason why the engineers decided to change the oil at 1200 miles and it was the US beancounters that later said it was not necessary. I trust the engineers more than beancounters so I recommend people change the gearbox oil. Especially after breaking in a new gearbox. Also don't forget, this is a new version of the gearbox with new coatings and new fluid so you can't say...well I never changed it in my 135i and had no problems...this is a newer version so play it safe and change the fluid.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 01:36 PM   #12
danielbreese
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 1M, 02 M3, 67 Ferrari

Thanks for all the great posts. But no one answered my questions!
Does the rare and brief grind (caused by letting clutch out too early) do any harm ?? And isn't the drain plug magnetized to collect such debris?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 01:57 PM   #13
speedM
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2106 X3 35i, 1M, 05 MCS

Quote:
Does the rare and brief grind (caused by letting clutch out too early) do any harm ?? And isn't the drain plug magnetized to collect such debris?

Thanks
I highly doubt a few grinds will do any harm. It's the dog teeth that are making the noise, not the actual gears. As far as plugs, correct me if I'm wrong, but I only thought aftermarket drain plugs were magnetized.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 02:07 PM   #14
robertm
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp

Rare and brief grinds aren't going to do any harm. I don't think the drain plug is magnetized.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 02:23 PM   #15
flzrider
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

The drain plug is not magnetized. I checked it when I did my MTF change.
      01-13-2012, 02:57 PM   #16
Rsmatt
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 1m v/a

I to have the grinding issue mostly in second gear but also in third it is also doing my head in I think you have to shift quicker and be more precise otherwise my car grinds! Pain in the arse it is !
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 03:15 PM   #17
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

Quote:

Thanks

Anytime you grind gears - it is not a good thing! So... I would try not to make those grinding gear shifts. Because if you continue to grind gears.. eventually you will need a new trans - since BMW dealers do not overhual their gearboxes. You will need a fresh trans. You might need one now. ?

Think about grinding gears this way... when two metal parts grind... they produce little metal shavings... Those shavings keep floating around your trans fluid(they just don't fall to the bottom of the trans(they continue to float around inside the gearbox... where there are many gear sets of (mating)gear wheels. All it takes is one of those little piece of metal to get smashed into some gear teeth(two mating gears) and they start to chip and make impressions on the gear's teeth. Over time... these impressions will either make the teeth on that gear fail (break apart) or can cause a noise when under load or coasting in gear. Like I said above... nothing good comes from grinding gears.

As for the magnetic trans drain plug... I did not find one on my 135i when I changed the trans and doff fluids. I don't know IF BMW has one for the 1M trans. I kind of doubt it. I have only seen magnets used on Porsche gearbox drain plugs.

Dackel
Appreciate 0