E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Watch Maintenance

01-13-2012, 06:47 AM   #1
Chris100
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport Highline Coupe

Watch Maintenance

Hi All,

I know that we have quite a few watch enthusiasts on here so I thought that this was the perfect place for some advice.

I bought my Tag Carrera a few months ago but I have notice that I am getting several marks on the bottom of the stainless steel strap already, I was hoping that someone could advise if there is anyway to reduce the possibility of this happening or is there a safe self maintenance process to remove these marks.

Also has anyone got any general cleaning tips for the watch.

Thanks all.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 06:52 AM   #2
SO8
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW G42 M240i xdrive

If you mean the clasp bit then I think there is no real way of avoiding this .... your wrist will touch a desk or the like loads as you put your hands on one (if you know what I mean) and marks happen - it is the bottom of the watch so no one sees it.

I have a number of watches and other than a titanium one the bands mark quickly by the clasp.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 07:00 AM   #3
M3-FAST
Defected to the dark side.....
England
Rep
Drives: BMW M5 LCi

Garage List
My TAG is the same - you won't stop it, unless you dont wear it!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 07:02 AM   #4
E92westy
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 118d Sport

General watch cleaning, use a spot of fairy liquid in a bowl water and an old tooth brush to get your DNA out of the nooks and crannies.
Rinse gently and dry properly.
(no need to mention thats the crown needs to be securely in place / screwed in first, is there.... )
If it's polished, a 'Cape Cod' polishing cloth will revive most lightly scratched surfaces.
If it's brushed, you can use the green pan cleaner thingies (can't remember the proper name) and gently wipe in one direction to restore the brushed effect.
This won't get back from serious scratches / dings but I've done it on a couple of bracelets on Seamaster's I've had.
There are special 'pens' (i beleive) that can restore a titanium finish, but when I had my Chrono Avenger, it had been refurbed at Breitling, so didn't need to 'experiment'....
Probably a good job.

If it's too far gone it's not too expensive to get a refurb done by a decent indpendant.
Check some watch forums (like TZ-UK) for advice.
      01-13-2012, 07:09 AM   #5
Chris100
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport Highline Coupe

Thanks for the responses everyone, its not too bad but I am just a "little" OCD when it comes to the condition of things and cleaning.

Cracks my wife up, when she does the housework I always end up saying is that what you call "clean". Which of course ends up starting an argument.
Appreciate 0