E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Off-Topic Discussions > Which MCS...or stay with the 330d?

01-13-2012, 10:56 AM   #1
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6

Which MCS...or stay with the 330d?

I seem to have the opposite problem to most on this forum…i am really happy with my car and so struggling to move on.

I think this is because in my uncertain year ahead, I know the 3 Series can do everything pretty much well. It can do fast, economical, comfortable on long commutes, fit all the family in and has all the right bits of equipment.

But with all its service bits/mot/warranty due this month, it got me thinking about changing and saving some cash at the same time.

So, in comes the Mini Cooper S… wow, I really got a buzz driving the MCS today - they are such gokarts and I even got the sales guy holding on for dear life at one point, saying "you must get your BM sideways a lot!". I was really impressed by the 1.6t engine as well, no lag and pulls really well in all gears. Oh how I have missed a 7k rev limiter . The turbo certainly seems to have kept the character of the supercharger engine, while improving fuel economy.

My main sticking point is the cruising road noise. On the first bit of dual cartridge way, It just seemed so loud (compared the the 330d, which in turn is not as quiet as the 5 series). Perhaps I then started it get used to it because by the time we got back to another stretch of dual cartridge way, I started thinking the road noise was ok. Could i do a few hundred mile drive in this car….
I am also worried if 2 kid seats would fit in the back, plus buggy i.e. as our backup car. I would probably have to do more miles in the 5 series, so this may be quite a regular occurrence. No auto dim rear-view mirror as standard…wtf! The car had a couple of rattles, which from previous comments worries me a bit.

However, I got out of the car with a spring in my step, like I used to get from our old 'vert S...my god these are fun cars.…

Anybody got views on these two cars:
This is the car I drove today…good spec, low 10k millage and 1 owner and I really like the blue: blue mini

Rogers preference is a 33k (too high mileage? not sure how many previous owners
), mega spec, safer colour. he also kindly listed out the spec for me (you can tell he is a pro at finding cars ) black mini

SPEC OF BLACK CAR…

17" Web Spoke Alloys
3-Spoke Sport Leather Steering Wheel
6 Disc CD Changer
Anthracite Roof Lining
CHILI Pack
Chrome Line exterior
Chrome Line interior
Chromed Mirror Caps
Colour Line Dark Grey
Darkened Rear Glass
First Aid Kit & Triangle
Front Centre Arm Rest
Front Seat Heating
Full Bluetooth with USB.
HiFi Speaker System
Interior Trim Piano Black
Leather interior
Metallic paint
Multifunction for S/Wheel
Navigation System
Panoramic Glass Sunroof
Park Distance Control
Roof In Body Colour
TV Function
Voice Control System

VERSUS SPEC OF BLUE ONE
Spoke Sport Leather Steering Wheel
6 Disc CD Changer
CHILI Pack
Colour Line Dark Grey
DAB Digital Radio
Front Centre Arm Rest
Multifunction for S/Wheel
Navigation System

Last edited by TMP; 01-13-2012 at 12:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 12:20 PM   #2
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M3 Comp Pack / QQ+2 Tekna

Garage List
Have you considered an M3
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 12:39 PM   #3
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Stick with the 330d.
      01-13-2012, 12:41 PM   #4
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
That's what I've said endless times
Gone -: 370Z GT Roadster; BMW X3 3.0d xdrive M Sport; E46 330i M Sport Coupe; Mazda RX8 231; Nissan 350Z GT Roadster; BMW E90 330d M Sport; BMW E92 335i SE; Maserati 4200; Nissan 350Z; Honda S2000; Astra Coupe Turbo; Ford Probe
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 02:23 PM   #5
jonw
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6 Comp Gran Coupe & X5 MSport

Garage List
I swapped to Pirellis from the RFT makes a big difference to road noise.
Black one is well specd up.
HiFi option is pants in them though.
If I was going for a Mini again I'd go for a JCW.
Are JCW out your budget ?
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 02:23 PM   #6
Gibbo
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Golf Ed35

Both of mine have rattled around the dash area. It is much worse in cold weather imo.

If you can live with a smaller car the Mini 'S' is far more fun than a slush box 330d.

My 3 year old fits in the back no problem with the Mini Isofix Seat (it would be tight if you are over six foot). You would not get a rear facing seat in the back so if you have an under 2 year old you will have issues unless you can move the passanger seat right forward (I would check if this is an issue). This is the pushchair that goes in the boot. It goes in no problem with one wheel on and the other clips on in seconds.

http://www.babyjogger.com/city_mini_lp.aspx

Got mine for about £160 but they look about £220 now. Nice solid pushchair that folds really compact.

Buy enjoy and the denzil will be long forgotten. Add the JCW exhaust and it will only get better....

Last edited by Gibbo; 01-13-2012 at 02:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 02:39 PM   #7
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Golf 7R

We had one as a company pool car. Good fun for a quick blast but you can't drive "spirited" all the time and doing anything over 100 miles was a hateful experience.

I still quite like them and wouldn't mind one myself but with the motorway miles I do and 2 kids I know I'd regret it quite quickly.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 03:32 PM   #8
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep
Drives: 530d

Garage List
If you are worried about space, have you considered the Breadvan? Sorry, Clubman.

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Now: 530d
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 04:01 PM   #9
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonw View Post
I swapped to Pirellis from the RFT makes a big difference to road noise.
Black one is well specd up.
HiFi option is pants in them though.
If I was going for a Mini again I'd go for a JCW.
Are JCW out your budget ?
Yeah it has dunlop RFTs

Would love a JCW...but think it would stretch my budget. Daft question, but how are they better from a S.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
Both of mine have rattled around the dash area. It is much worse in cold weather imo.

If you can live with a smaller car the Mini 'S' is far more fun than a slush box 330d.

My 3 year old fits in the back no problem with the Mini Isofix Seat (it would be tight if you are over six foot). You would not get a rear facing seat in the back so if you have an under 2 year old you will have issues unless you can move the passanger seat right forward (I would check if this is an issue). This is the pushchair that goes in the boot. It goes in no problem with one wheel on and the other clips on in seconds.

http://www.babyjogger.com/city_mini_lp.aspx

Got mine for about £160 but they look about £220 now. Nice solid pushchair that folds really compact.

Buy enjoy and the denzil will be long forgotten. Add the JCW exhaust and it will only get better....
Missus would never go for a new buggy! Both are forward facing seats, (britax), but I am over six foot and I reckon the boys legs maybe up around his ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
We had one as a company pool car. Good fun for a quick blast but you can't drive "spirited" all the time and doing anything over 100 miles was a hateful experience.

I still quite like them and wouldn't mind one myself but with the motorway miles I do and 2 kids I know I'd regret it quite quickly.
Yeap, thats what I am worried about

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerxp View Post
That's what I've said endless times
have you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post
Stick with the 330d.
Do you miss yours then matey?
      01-13-2012, 04:03 PM   #10
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjh93sa View Post
If you are worried about space, have you considered the Breadvan? Sorry, Clubman.
I havent to be honest fella...always liked the hatch more. Imagine they are more expensive as well?
      01-13-2012, 04:07 PM   #11
rogerxp
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
Whilst it's fun shopping around and spending other peoples money I'm just not convinced the Mini is the right option. If you want fun lets organised another go-karting night mate but would be nice to arrive in the Beemer

Or, bollocks to it, buy the black one .
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 04:14 PM   #12
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerxp View Post
Whilst it's fun shopping around and spending other peoples money I'm just not convinced the Mini is the right option. If you want fun lets organised another go-karting night mate but would be nice to arrive in the Beemer

Or, bollocks to it, buy the black one .
Missus wants to take the kids, car seats and buggy tomorrow. We will roll up the the 5 series estate and try and fit it all in (oh and some shopping for good measure).

Hmmm
      01-13-2012, 04:15 PM   #13
pjs
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i8

Tim, you are an Entrepreneur and soon to be captain of industry. You'll look like an Estate Agent in a Mini. Swap the wifes 520d for a Cuntryman Cooper S and job done.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2012, 04:18 PM   #14
Gibbo
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMP View Post
Missus wants to take the kids, car seats and buggy tomorrow. We will roll up the the 5 series estate and try and fit it all in (oh and some shopping for good measure).

Hmmm
Seats yes, buggy maybe. Shopping..... will be on passangers lap and front footwell.
      01-13-2012, 05:36 PM   #15
mowflow
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: Golf 7R

Quote:
I havent to be honest fella...always liked the hatch more. Imagine they are more expensive as well?
I had a quick look at clubmans or should that be clubmen recently. Less of them about used but seem to be a bit cheaper because lets face it, they aren't pretty. I eventually realised I just couldn't do it, it looks to much like a sideboard on wheels.
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 03:09 AM   #16
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
About 1k more.

I actally prefer the breadvan look. But then maybe I'm odd.

Gone: Fiesta - Focus - E46 320dSE - E91 330dMSport - E82 135iMSport - R55 JCW Clubman - M135i
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2012, 03:15 AM   #17
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjs View Post
Tim, you are an Entrepreneur and soon to be captain of industry. You'll look like an Estate Agent in a Mini. Swap the wifes 520d for a Cuntryman Cooper S and job done.
Lol Paul...long way to go before Captain!!
I dont think we will ever get rid of the 520d ..it just does the family thing so well. Wifey loves it to bits as well...

Quote:
Seats yes, buggy maybe. Shopping..... will be on passangers lap and front footwell.
That wont go down well....

Quote:
Originally Posted by mowflow View Post
I had a quick look at clubmans or should that be clubmen recently. Less of them about used but seem to be a bit cheaper because lets face it, they aren't pretty. I eventually realised I just couldn't do it, it looks to much like a sideboard on wheels.
Quote:
About 1k more.

Not my cup of tea....perhaps we are the one ones
      01-14-2012, 03:16 AM   #18
Gibbo
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
About 1k more.

When is the beast arriving?
      01-14-2012, 10:30 AM   #19
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep

Garage List
That is a damned good question.

There is a delay due to the bodykit is the best info extracted from Thorne / MINI UK. The car is built, perfect, but just not complete due to stock issues.

The dealer is badgering them daily, but MINI UK seem to be giving them the run around. I have been there whilst they have been making the calls, so I know what story they are getting.

At the moment the system says next Friday... just like last Friday and the one before that.

Appreciate 0
      01-16-2012, 02:50 PM   #20
Gibbo
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
That is a damned good question.

There is a delay due to the bodykit is the best info extracted from Thorne / MINI UK. The car is built, perfect, but just not complete due to stock issues.

The dealer is badgering them daily, but MINI UK seem to be giving them the run around. I have been there whilst they have been making the calls, so I know what story they are getting.

At the moment the system says next Friday... just like last Friday and the one before that.
That is a real pain. Apparently they build the JCW on the standard production line then take them to another building where they put all the JCW goodies on. Hopefully they will get the parts in soon and you will have your car asap.
      01-16-2012, 03:54 PM   #21
mjh93sa
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That is a real pain. Apparently they build the JCW on the standard production line then take them to another building where they put all the JCW goodies on. Hopefully they will get the parts in soon and you will have your car asap.
Well, the saga continues...

Dealer principal involved now. Apparently the factory had not even ordered the bodykit!

Needless to say one is now on it's way as a priority, for priority attention. Car should therefore be here the end of this week / beginning of next.

Appreciate 0
      01-17-2012, 02:26 AM   #22
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Well, the saga continues...

Dealer principal involved now. Apparently the factory had not even ordered the bodykit!

Needless to say one is now on it's way as a priority, for priority attention. Car should therefore be here the end of this week / beginning of next.
Man, that's poor on the Mini factory. Sounds like its sorted though and fingers crossed for the weekend!

They not replacing the turbo water pump are they