ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-27-2007, 01:41 PM   #1
bigbob
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Audi TT

SPORT button???

Hi Guys,
Just taken delivery of a bran new 07 Z4 Roadster, 2.5i Sport.
Now correct me if im wrong, but shouldnt I have a SPORT button next to my gear stick? Its manual and has the M steering wheel and M suspension.
Ive looked at photos of other 2.5i sports for sale and they all have this button, I dont!
I called my nearest dealer and they didnt even know what I was talking about, and then claimed it was only on the 3.0 which I know is just a blatant lie
Any help?
Cheers in advance,
Nick
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2007, 02:23 PM   #2
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

out here the sport button comes with the sport package

I'd wonder if you have the sport pack, wheels are the key there

do you have 16" or 17"?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2007, 02:49 PM   #3
AlanL
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 328ix Sports Wagon

The Sport package should include 18" wheels at least in the stateside version. Not quite sure what variants you will see on your side of the pond given that you got an M steering wheel. That's not an option we have available over here.
      05-27-2007, 03:43 PM   #4
bigbob
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward View Post
out here the sport button comes with the sport package

I'd wonder if you have the sport pack, wheels are the key there

do you have 16" or 17"?
18" M Sports spoke - http://www.fabdirect.com/ph-crash2106.jpg

and.. when I go to the car configuration on the BMW website, If I click on the image for M suspension, it shows the SPORT button! doh
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2007, 03:45 PM   #5
bigbob
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanL View Post
The Sport package should include 18" wheels at least in the stateside version. Not quite sure what variants you will see on your side of the pond given that you got an M steering wheel. That's not an option we have available over here.
Yup, 18" M Sports spoke. Here is an actual shot of my interior also..
http://www.nickwestphoto.co.uk/Z43.jpg
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2007, 04:04 PM   #6
ward
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanL View Post
in the states the smaller motor car does not come with 18" wheels from the factory

to the OP

I actually really dislike my sport button, the gas is plenty sensitive to me, and I really don't feel the need to turn down the power steering assist to merely make it harder to turn (if it added more feedback that'd be different but IMO it doesn't)

out of all the miles on my Z4, only a handfull have happened with the sport button pressed.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2007, 04:38 PM   #7
Wondermike
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2007 SLK350 Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbob View Post
Hi Guys,
Just taken delivery of a bran new 07 Z4 Roadster, 2.5i Sport.
Now correct me if im wrong, but shouldnt I have a SPORT button next to my gear stick? Its manual and has the M steering wheel and M suspension.
Ive looked at photos of other 2.5i sports for sale and they all have this button, I dont!
I called my nearest dealer and they didnt even know what I was talking about, and then claimed it was only on the 3.0 which I know is just a blatant lie
Any help?
Cheers in advance,
Nick
Nick, in the UK there is a big (performance) difference between the 2.5i Sport and the 2.5Si Sport - one has got 177bhp, the other 218bhp, plus some minor interior changes (trim, auto-dimming mirror), and including Driving Dynamics Control (the sport button).

Sounds like yours is a 2.5i Sport rather than a 2.5Si Sport. TBH don't know why BMW didn't just have one 2.5 to save any confusion.
      05-27-2007, 04:40 PM   #8
bigbob
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondermike View Post
Nick, in the UK there is a big (performance) difference between the 2.5i Sport and the 2.5Si Sport - one has got 177bhp, the other 218bhp, plus some minor interior changes (trim, auto-dimming mirror), and including Driving Dynamics Control (the sport button).

Sounds like yours is a 2.5i Sport rather than a 2.5Si Sport. TBH don't know why BMW didn't just have one 2.5 to save any confusion.
Mike, thanks for clearing this up, on both posts!!
Yup I have the 2.5i Sport.
Im not bothered about having the Sport button, I was just making sure I shouldnt have it
Any ideas where I can get the correct tailpipe trims from?
cheers,
Nick
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2007, 04:47 PM   #9
Wondermike
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Yeah, I was just going to edit my post to say that the button is a bit of a novelty that wears off after a while anyway.

With the trims, take them back to your local dealer, and say that your parents/cousin/mate etc. who lives in a different part of the country bought them as a present, but they [asked for/were given] the wrong ones. They should credit you the old ones and charge the difference, if there is any.

I believe the trims were standard on the 3.0 for a few months, can't believe they don't just fit them as they make a fair difference to the look of the car.
      05-27-2007, 04:55 PM   #10
bigbob
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondermike View Post
Yeah, I was just going to edit my post to say that the button is a bit of a novelty that wears off after a while anyway.

With the trims, take them back to your local dealer, and say that your parents/cousin/mate etc. who lives in a different part of the country bought them as a present, but they [asked for/were given] the wrong ones. They should credit you the old ones and charge the difference, if there is any.

I believe the trims were standard on the 3.0 for a few months, can't believe they don't just fit them as they make a fair difference to the look of the car.
Thats a good plan, the only problem is I dont have the bag for them anymore and ive marked the bumps inside where ive tried to fit them :S think they'l buy it?
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2007, 05:04 PM   #11
Wondermike
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

I reckon it's worth a try, worst case is they say no and you just flog them on Ebay again, or try to flog them here or on one of the other forums.

Are they definitely genuine BMW parts though, do they have the part number stamped on them?
      05-27-2007, 06:17 PM   #12
AlanL
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2010 328ix Sports Wagon

I did check the info and Ward is right about the 18 vs 17 inch wheels. 18s were only on the 3.0si motors.

I will add one more vote to the sport button chorus so far - I have tried to appreciate mine on several occasions and in the end came to the same conclusion: it makes the gas pedal far too sensitive to be useful and while the steering feedback felt nice at first, I found that better tires worked far better for improving the feedback all the time. I haven't pressed the Sport button for weeks now and I have only had the car for just over 6 weeks.
      05-27-2007, 06:31 PM   #13
Yal
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '03 Z4 2.5 Maldives Blue

Now that i've used my sport button for a few months at all times while driving, I feel that it's made me smoother in corner decel/accel and the best thing about it is the decrease in steering assist.

I should say that mine's a step, not a manual. I probably wouldn't care except for the steering assist if I had a manual.
      05-27-2007, 08:27 PM   #14
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward View Post
in the states the smaller motor car does not come with 18" wheels from the factory

to the OP

I actually really dislike my sport button, the gas is plenty sensitive to me, and I really don't feel the need to turn down the power steering assist to merely make it harder to turn (if it added more feedback that'd be different but IMO it doesn't)

out of all the miles on my Z4, only a handfull have happened with the sport button pressed.
Here's my 2 pence...as you brits say. Anyhoo...as an M owner the sport button really isn't needed here in the states, unless I'm tryin to really trying to launch fast...on the german autobahn it was basically used when I was doin over 100 mph regularly. When you are driving over 120 and hitting bumps and corners the stiffer steering really pays off and the the more throttle you have the better

So...don't worry about it...I think most people who aren't trackin their car don't use it anyway.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2007, 10:23 PM   #15
ward
Major General
Rep

I've had my car on the track, and the car doesn't need a more aggresive throttle curve. it's easier to steer the car with the throttle when the throttle curve is more linear

with sport on in my car, it's like the thing's floored when you have the pedal at 50%, and the rest of the pedal travel doesn't do anything
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2007, 10:36 PM   #16
enfield
Civilian
Canada
Rep
Drives: Jaguar F-Type V8 S

The sport button helps with heel-to-toe shifts in my experience. I have not found it useful for other things in my Z4M Coupe.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2007, 12:28 AM   #17
jaz4
Rep
Drives: M240 convertable

Ok sports button UK side.

I had a pre face lift 2.5SE and it had the button. Only stiffened steering and changed throttle curve. sort of noticeable probably gave me a bit more go faster stripe confidence.

Post face lift I have a 2.5 SI Sport. (this is totally different much more keener than the old 2.5). As above but drops some of the DSC stuff slightly so you can have a bit more fun, which has always been my issue with the dsc pocking in all the time.

In a 3.0 it may make the car a bit too hipper, in the 2.5si its just more fun.

18 inch wheels are standard on the SI sport.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2007, 01:22 AM   #18
takedown8
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 BMW Z4 3.0i

That's funny. Back on Z4um, people used to go on and on about how they wanted to find out a way to have their Sports button automatically on when they start the car. Some people tried taping it down and ridiculous antics like that. And now on zpost, people are saying that it's not that useful.

Big change in opinion!
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2007, 08:57 AM   #19
Samiad
United_States
Rep
Drives: nada

Snap (sort of)

Your 2007 2.5i : http://www.nickwestphoto.co.uk/Z43.jpg

My 2007 2.5si : http://farm1.static.flickr.com/212/4...aff43c44_o.jpg

As stated, only the si gets the sport button - there are a few other differences, like auto dimming interior mirrors and possibly a few other changes.

It's something that you won't miss if you don't have it, you'll just get used to the way the throttle is. I quite like having it behave in two distinct ways though.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2007, 09:20 AM   #20
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by enfield View Post
The sport button helps with heel-to-toe shifts in my experience. I have not found it useful for other things in my Z4M Coupe.
^+1 I have mine on at all times.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2007, 09:34 AM   #21
Dammmittt
My favorite sign.
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 2007 M Coupe

Cuz you are nuts.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2007, 09:44 AM   #22
ovrkll
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Interlagos Blue Z4M

I leave it off if I am just cruising around, but turn it on when any performance driving is/may be required. I like the instantaneous response to throttle input, and yes I know that is something I could get used to if I did not have a choice without a button.
Appreciate 0