E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - California > Racing Gear in OC?

01-28-2012, 05:48 PM   #1
MrRetep
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 435i M-Sport

Racing Gear in OC?

I'm looking to sign up for my first track day, But I'm a bit of a germaphobe and DO NOT want to rent a helmet. lol. Do you guys know of any places in Orange County (Irvine to be specfic) or near. That sells racing safety equipment, I'd like to be able to check out the helmet before I buy it.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 06:02 PM   #2
Syndicategt
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Kinda gross using someone's used helmet. I know I sweat a lot while racing. You can pick up a cheap open faced helmet for under $100 and will probably get a lot of use from it.
2008 BMW 335i e90 - Sold - Rob Beck Turbos / PROcede V5 / Aquamist HFS-4 / AR Downpipes / AE Exhaust / ER Comp FMIC / ER CP / TiAL BOV / Custom Intake / RPI Scoops / Quaife LSD / Swift-Koni Coilovers / DSS HS / Morr VS8.2 Sig Black / Michelin PSS / P3 Boost Guage / M3 body / M3 steering wheel / Adam's Rotors / Hawk HPS / SS lines /
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 08:12 PM   #3
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 M-Tech 328i

Try going to motorcycle shops, ask them for a motogp helmet imo its the same thing
Driving is like having sex.
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 09:34 PM   #4
acdHQK713K
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRetep View Post
I'm looking to sign up for my first track day, But I'm a bit of a germaphobe and DO NOT want to rent a helmet. lol. Do you guys know of any places in Orange County (Irvine to be specfic) or near. That sells racing safety equipment, I'd like to be able to check out the helmet before I buy it.

Thanks!
I have a helmet for sale. Brand new and never used. I am in the OC as well. Size is large and it's flat black. Let me know if you are interested.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 09:42 PM   #5
LOLrance
The Law.
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: BMW

I bought my helemt from a shop in Newport. They carried a variety of brands (Arai, HJC, Bell, etc). I'll see if i can find the name for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwi29 View Post
Try going to motorcycle shops, ask them for a motogp helmet imo its the same thing
Umm, no. Its far from the same thing. Motorcycle helmets (M rated) are for single impact. SA rated (auto helmets) are multi-impact and fire retardant.

How much is your head worth to you?
      01-28-2012, 10:33 PM   #6
MrRetep
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I'd rather have a proper helmet, My head is my money maker and I cant afford to lose it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangorang View Post
I have a helmet for sale. Brand new and never used. I am in the OC as well. Size is large and it's flat black. Let me know if you are interested.
I think it would be a close fit (my head is just under 24 inches) but definitely interested. Brand? Pics? Thanks, is it SA2010?

Quote:
Originally Posted by l4wr3nc3 View Post
I bought my helemt from a shop in Newport. They carried a variety of brands (Arai, HJC, Bell, etc). I'll see if i can find the name for you.

Umm, no. Its far from the same thing. Motorcycle helmets (M rated) are for single impact. SA rated (auto helmets) are multi-impact and fire retardant.

I would really appreciate if you could find out for me!

My head is worth a lot to me. lol. I want to do this right
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 11:12 PM   #7
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by l4wr3nc3 View Post

last time i went to the cali speed way to drag race and they said my motorcycle helmet passed and it was okay?
It really is. You can read up all you want about how to please a woman, you can look at all the diagrams in the world, but just like the clitoris, you won't know what the hell an apex is before you actually find it.
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 11:14 PM   #8
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'd rather have a proper helmet, My head is my money maker and I cant afford to lose it.

I think it would be a close fit (my head is just under 24 inches) but definitely interested. Brand? Pics? Thanks, is it SA2010?

I would really appreciate if you could find out for me!

My head is worth a lot to me. lol. I want to do this right
hahaha well last time i rolled to the track for a drag race and they said my bike helmet passed the inspection and i was cleared for racing. maybe they inspected wrong idkk but thanks everyone for giving me a heads up
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 11:23 PM   #9
MrRetep
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
hahaha well last time i rolled to the track for a drag race and they said my bike helmet passed the inspection and i was cleared for racing. maybe they inspected wrong idkk but thanks everyone for giving me a heads up
Hmmm...I'm looking to do a tracking day at the Horse Thief Mile at Willowsprings. Not sure if the helmet restrictions would be different for road racing vs drag racing. Definitely something to look into if it saves me money
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 11:29 PM   #10
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Hmmm...I'm looking to do a tracking day at the Horse Thief Mile at Willowsprings. Not sure if the helmet restrictions would be different for road racing vs drag racing. Definitely something to look into if it saves me money
i'm guessing drag might be different cuz if you crash it might only be once but track, i think it won't pass ima try to get a arai helmet or a bell. i was also thinking of going to do the HTM at willowsprings too I needa buy a helmet first though
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2012, 11:45 PM   #11
MrRetep
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
i'm guessing drag might be different cuz if you crash it might only be once but track, i think it won't pass ima try to get a arai helmet or a bell. i was also thinking of going to do the HTM at willowsprings too I needa buy a helmet first though
On Feb 18th?
Well this thread is useful for both of us then. I'm pretty excited for the event!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 12:11 AM   #12
tanginaglaz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

It depends on who is hosting the venue. I have raced at Willow Springs with both Speed Ventures and eXtreme Speed. Both don't seem very strict about the type of helmet as long as you have one. eXtreme speed's rentals are cheap motorcycle helmets. If you're planning to attend multiple HPDE events, I suggest getting a SA2010 helmet. I purchased a closed face one because I go gokarting once in a while and they don't allow open face. Check out saferacer.com. I bought the Zamp fsa-2. Most bang for your buck. Just measure your head according to their instructions and you should be fine.
      01-29-2012, 12:24 PM   #13
acdHQK713K
Major
United_States
Rep

Here is the helmet I am selling: http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...light=pyrotect
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 04:12 PM   #14
kiwi29
Team iTouge
United_States
Rep

Quote:
On Feb 18th?
Well this thread is useful for both of us then. I'm pretty excited for the event!
Hahaha yes that exact one with persian54 lol what level are you gonna be running at?
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 04:23 PM   #15
MrRetep
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Very tempting, I will keep it in mind. Thank you

Quote:
Hahaha yes that exact one with persian54 lol what level are you gonna be running at?
I'll be running beginner as it is my first track day.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 06:54 PM   #16
Syndicategt
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

If you have any plans of ever doing HPDE type events....then you need SA or SA-2000. They will turn you away with just a M (motorcycle) rating.
2008 BMW 335i e90 - Sold - Rob Beck Turbos / PROcede V5 / Aquamist HFS-4 / AR Downpipes / AE Exhaust / ER Comp FMIC / ER CP / TiAL BOV / Custom Intake / RPI Scoops / Quaife LSD / Swift-Koni Coilovers / DSS HS / Morr VS8.2 Sig Black / Michelin PSS / P3 Boost Guage / M3 body / M3 steering wheel / Adam's Rotors / Hawk HPS / SS lines /
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 08:05 PM   #17
acdHQK713K
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Very tempting, I will keep it in mind. Thank you

I'll be running beginner as it is my first track day.
Keep me in mind. Price is very flexible. It's just sitting in the box taking up space at this point.

PM me if interested.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 12:39 AM   #18
MrRetep
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tanginaglaz View Post
It depends on who is hosting the venue. I have raced at Willow Springs with both Speed Ventures and eXtreme Speed. Both don't seem very strict about the type of helmet as long as you have one. eXtreme speed's rentals are cheap motorcycle helmets. If you're planning to attend multiple HPDE events, I suggest getting a SA2010 helmet. I purchased a closed face one because I go gokarting once in a while and they don't allow open face. Check out saferacer.com. I bought the Zamp fsa-2. Most bang for your buck. Just measure your head according to their instructions and you should be fine.
The event I'm attending is hosted by extreme speed, I'm definitely looking at a SA2005(Because theyre cheaper) or SA2010 if i cant find anything else. Thanks for the tip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndicategt View Post
If you have any plans of ever doing HPDE type events....then you need SA or SA-2000. They will turn you away with just a M (motorcycle) rating.
Yes, I am looking for a proper auto racing helmet. Can't afford to lose anymore brain cells.

Quote:
Keep me in mind. Price is very flexible. It's just sitting in the box taking up space at this point.

PM me if interested.
PM Sent.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 02:29 AM   #19
tanginaglaz
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

Quote:
The event I'm attending is hosted by extreme speed, I'm definitely looking at a SA2005(Because theyre cheaper) or SA2010 if i cant find anything else. Thanks for the tip.
Honestly, I would just invest in an SA2010. It will last you longer. Go with the Zamp, its only $170 with free shipping from safe racer. What's awesome with the Zamp is that it uses the same hardware as the more expensive Pyrotect helmet, meaning you can use the same shields and everything.