BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

01-29-2012, 03:43 PM   #1
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

Contemplating opening up the side crease/vent

It seems to be a pretty simple project the hard part is where should the opening stop? The guys that laid the vinyl in the crease tapered it almost to the ends. I feel the opening should only be vertical along the flat surface and the taper should stay closed (its only there to allow for the difference in depth of the panel). I found and attached pics to illustrate what I mean.

Some people expressed concern about the strength of the panel. By leaving the horizontal portions intact and the portions I marked with a black line in the attached pic I think strength or lack of strength will not be an issue.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 03:49 PM   #2
Powerbeast
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 RarriRot

I wouldnt touch it. If you want the look just use vinyl.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 04:25 PM   #3
EINSER M
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW i3 rex

Garage List
keep us updated on the project, i like the idea!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 04:31 PM   #4
superchargedman
Captain
Rep
Drives: The ///Mbulance: 1M AW

It would be interesting to get a similar cf piece like the gtr and just lay it down over top. Then, put black vinyl in the holes.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 04:45 PM   #5
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Was reported earlier that it was initially the purpose of the ///M division to leave these side vents effectively open. However, development apparently struggled with getting the alignment/rigidity right with opened vents. As time for development was tight (and additional crash tests likely would be required, I assume), the plan was shelved. Missed chance, but time was of the essence. Would have been nice though. Anyway, good luck with your project.

"Was at M studio this week as part of my ED and got to talk for to a lead engineer for quite a while; He clarified that these front fender areas that now suggest the vents, originally where meant to have real functional vents. They'd be even bigger then the ~2cm they are now. (Thus cutting them open in the shape they are now would apparently not provide much aerodynamic benefit ie release significant wheel well air pressure). However they couldn't get the fender sheet stamping molds accurate enough within the allotted time/budget. Particularly the two fenders sides exactly mirroring each other in shape proved too hard to achieve with functional vents. Pity, but I do respect that they either do it right or not at all."
http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...87&postcount=7
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 04:55 PM   #6
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

The front side panels are not part of the car's basic structure, ie you're not likely to run into strength issues. Originally this was the intention of the M design team yet they could not get the press molds symmetrical enough (left side vs right side). Other nice examples:

Ford S max:
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/$(KGrHqYOKk!...t+ub5!~~_3.JPG

Porsche Panamera:
http://www.madaboutporkers.com/sitei...6_1004x750.jpg

Mazda RX8:
http://image.motortrend.com/f/100951...+rear_view.jpg

Go for it, it will earn you the brass balls award, and if it looks as good as we expect: the coveted 2012 1M top style modification award!
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 05:49 PM   #7
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeghie View Post
The front side panels are not part of the car's basic structure, ie you're not likely to run into strength issues. Originally this was the intention of the M design team yet they could not get the press molds symmetrical enough (left side vs right side). Other nice examples:

Ford S max:
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/$(KGrHqYOKk!...t+ub5!~~_3.JPG

Porsche Panamera:

Mazda RX8:

Go for it, it will earn you the brass balls award, and if it looks as good as we expect: the coveted 2012 1M top style modification award!
+1. The only design detail that I found missing, sadly, was this when they launched the production photos of 1M. This plus a good looking CSL style trunk, not exaggerated in size, would be awesome. They are much much more important than any lips or spoilers imo.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 05:52 PM   #8
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Golf R

If it comes out well you will have major e-cred.
I'm curious if opening this up will allow hot air to escape the engine bay without more work to the inside of the fender. If its functional I'm probably on board with doing it myself, but you first!
      01-29-2012, 08:28 PM   #9
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Maybe someone like Slek can manufacture a clip-on CF piece/mini grill for the new cutout opening
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 08:28 PM   #10
Papethova
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Parker View Post
If it comes out well you will have major e-cred.
I'm curious if opening this up will allow hot air to escape the engine bay without more work to the inside of the fender. If its functional I'm probably on board with doing it myself, but you first!
Im trying to find things to distract me from doing this. Eventually I will get around to it but Ill gladly move it down the list as I get other ideas

Ill keep you posted, I am interested, I just need to make sure its going to look how I am picturing it in my mind. I may get a spare fender just to try some things out.

As far as under hood heat, it seems like the engine bay is closed off from the fender, I cant be sure since I havent looked closely.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 08:30 PM   #11
Papethova
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M1 View Post
Maybe someone like Slek can manufacture a clip-on CF piece/mini grill for the new cutout opening
I thought about that but would people be interested in that? Even if the piece existed I dont see many people taking a plasma cutter or nibbler to their fender.

FYI T, yesterday I spent the day cleaning out carbon buildup on a you know what. What a chore, wow
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 08:37 PM   #12
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papethova View Post
I thought about that but would people be interested in that? Even if the piece existed I dont see many people taking a plasma cutter or nibbler to their fender.

FYI T, yesterday I spent the day cleaning out carbon buildup on a you know what. What a chore, wow
If there is solid interest on the vent fascia, I would think Slek (or someone else) would take the challenge to develop one. One issue is making sure it is functional, and without downsides (e.g. pebbles coming out of the fender damaging the paint on the doors, not sure how it is on cars with a real one, maybe there is mesh on the inside?)

PS: Ouch, good job A-, you must be hurting from it. When it comes time for mine (and sadly it won't be the first time , I'll pay for your ticket cross-country to come help me, ha ha!) BTW, just cranked her up after a nearly 2 month absence (was out of state for a while), so visceral rewarding when her internals are clean, and such a different animal than the 1///M that you can't help but love both to death.
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 08:50 PM   #13
Papethova
Banned
Rep

Quote:
If there is solid interest on the vent fascia, I would think Slek (or someone else) would take the challenge to develop one. One issue is making sure it is functional, and without downsides (e.g. pebbles coming out of the fender damaging the paint on the doors, not sure how it is on cars with a real one, maybe there is mesh on the inside?)

Seems like the wheel well is closed off so the pebbles and what not cant be thrown up through an opening in the fender. Not positive since I havent taken a hard look at it yet. I do plan on doing a screen/mesh to finish the opening and not have just a gaping hole.

Something similar to my rear diffuser on my 135 (dunno if you ever saw that).... http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214705
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 09:00 PM   #14
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Seems like the wheel well is closed off so the pebbles and what not cant be thrown up through an opening in the fender. Not positive since I havent taken a hard look at it yet. I do plan on doing a screen/mesh to finish the opening and not have just a gaping hole.

Something similar to my rear diffuser on my 135 (dunno if you ever saw that).... http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214705
The mesh looks good on the 135i diffuser, probably can be done on the vertical slats of the rear bumper, IIRC the plastic black trim just pops out.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2012, 09:15 PM   #15
Papethova
Banned
Rep

Quote:
The mesh looks good on the 135i diffuser, probably can be done on the vertical slats of the rear bumper, IIRC the plastic black trim just pops out.

It does, I have the mesh ready for it . Im just waiting for my diffuser so I dont have to lay down in the garage twice.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 01:28 AM   #16
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Im trying to find things to distract me from doing this. Eventually I will get around to it but Ill gladly move it down the list as I get other ideas

Ill keep you posted, I am interested, I just need to make sure its going to look how I am picturing it in my mind. I may get a spare fender just to try some things out.

As far as under hood heat, it seems like the engine bay is closed off from the fender, I cant be sure since I havent looked closely.
Indeed, you will not be able to release engine bay pressure through the side vents without cutting through the load bearing parts of the chassis. On the front, by cutting the wheel well liners you probably will be able to channel air trapped in the wheel well.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 12:33 PM   #17
Mr_M
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: on the sidewalks

How about u still cut, but leave the vent alone?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-30-2012, 10:40 PM   #18
Papethova
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_M View Post
How about u still cut, but leave the vent alone?
Thats very interesting, I just dont know that it works on a european car and in this day and age. It would be much easier to do though.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 06:40 AM   #19
Mr_M
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: on the sidewalks

Quote:
Thats very interesting, I just dont know that it works on a european car and in this day and age. It would be much easier to do though.
will work something like this:

(no cutting needed even)
-- sorry dont have photoshop @work but u get the idea
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-31-2012, 07:40 AM   #20
gnpower
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW ///M Sport 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by eeghie View Post

Ford S max:
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/$(KGrHqYOKk!E1wUEnE79BNpZt+ub5!~~_3.JPG

Porsche Panamera:

Mazda RX8:

+1. Structural integrity might be compromised, but if you were to place a CF insert like the GT-R, then the structural issues might resolved. Although, I don't believe engine bay heat would escape from that unless some engine bay modifications were done as well. You might be better off just using some CF wraps to accent the area.
      01-31-2012, 11:15 AM   #21
Papethova
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnpower View Post
+1. Structural integrity might be compromised, but if you were to place a CF insert like the GT-R, then the structural issues might resolved. Although, I don't believe engine bay heat would escape from that unless some engine bay modifications were done as well. You might be better off just using some CF wraps to accent the area.
Im not completely opening a slit. I will leave the horizontal pieces where I drew that black line. The side marker actually will cover that and it will look like a full slit exists. I think most of the strength though would be lost by removal at the top and bottom where the crease tapers. I dont plan on opening it up to a point like the vinyl inserts outline.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 12:51 PM   #22
Papethova
Banned
Rep

just reference
Attached Images

Appreciate 0