Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Switched to Kumho Ecsta 4x

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

02-02-2012, 12:18 PM   #1
MazdaFan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 xDrive 28i

Switched to Kumho Ecsta 4x

I replaced my worn OEM Bridgestone potenza RE050s with Kumho Ecsta 4x all seasons. I have the sport package staggered 17 inch setup. The reason for going all-season is my occasional trips to Big Bear ski resort. I was on the fence for going all-season route for a long time so eventualy I decided to get a low cost all season and if I don't like them change them at the end of winter.

I was relatively happy with Bridgestones. The rear tires lasted 27k and fronts had some thread left. The ride quality was border line unacceptable on bad pavement but I didn't care since most of the times I drive the car alone. Sometimes I had to explain to my passenger why the car is so stiff (euro car, american drivers are used to soft cars, sport car handling, blah blah blah). They usually looked at me strange and didn't believe me

So far after two drives I like the new tires. Ride quality is definitely better and the handling/steering response appears to be close to what it was with bricks. I have a 2008 model which might be a bit stiffer than 2009 and newer models. The XL load rating of the new front tires may be a factor here too.

I noticed more road noise and probably more drag with new tires. It is too early to judge either topic because the tires are not broken in yet. My rear Bricks where practically smooth racing tires before I changed them

I will update with better information on mileage/handling/road noise in a couple of weeks.

Regards,

MazdaFan
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 03:36 PM   #2
MazdaFan
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 xDrive 28i

I really like these tires. Overall the car is more enjoyable comparing to RFTs. I just start to push the tires harder to test their limit, but so far have not busted any corners yet.

I think these are a viable choice for thsoe who need all season tires.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 04:20 PM   #3
Myriad
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 6MT

I had two sets of Ecsta Spts on my RX8 when I had the car. Great tires. Glad to hear the all seasons route is working out for you
      04-20-2012, 09:43 AM   #4
matthew34brown
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328i E90

what air pressure are you using because i have the same set up sport package 225/45/17 Front and 255/40/17 Rears?
Appreciate 0