BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-03-2012, 12:33 PM   #1
Chill
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M BSM

A bit bummed on this Clear Paint Protection Film

I'm not sure this was the best idea for me and my BSM car now that I've had it on for a month. I'm not complaining about the install because it was done very nicely, but I have to say I'm a bit surprised at how quickly it stains. I work near the pacific ocean and that means birds and bird droppings at times. It seems if you don't get the bird crap cleaned up within the first 5 minutes your left with a dull stain. Same thing happened when a drop of sap fell onto my hood the other day, I removed it that night but left a very visible spot. Any ideas on removing stains from this protective film?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 12:53 PM   #2
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

What brand do you have? I haven't had any issues with the 3M
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 01:00 PM   #3
JDUni1
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M3, '12 135i (Sold)

Wax it, it really helps with cleaning grime off of it
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 01:54 PM   #4
lzyla
Rep
Drives: 09' 320d, 12' 1 M

good to find this thread.
I am expecting my 1M delivery in beginning of March. I've been considering this 3M transparent film.
What's your opinion on it?
Should I go for a full body film or just the areas most likely to be scrathed?
Somebody told me it's stock on some parts of Lamborghini or Ferrari.
Do you think it really does help to protect the paint?
Are there any disadvantages?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 02:03 PM   #5
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzyla View Post
good to find this thread.
I am expecting my 1M delivery in beginning of March. I've been considering this 3M transparent film.
What's your opinion on it?
Should I go for a full body film or just the areas most likely to be scrathed?
Somebody told me it's stock on some parts of Lamborghini or Ferrari.
Do you think it really does help to protect the paint?
Are there any disadvantages?
Full body is a waste IMHO. If you go to a good installer they will actually discourage you from doing a full wrap.

The 3M film has a clear coat like the paint so you can wash/wax it like a regular paint job. The only disadvantage seems to be that it won't self-heal like Xpel.
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      02-03-2012, 03:30 PM   #6
Amnizu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 502 of 740

From what I understand you can clay and polish clear bras. That should allow you to get the etching out.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 12:58 PM   #7
JohnNC-M2CS
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS on order

Garage List
2020 BMW/M@ CS  [0.00]
2016 M2  [10.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [9.50]
I don't know how many owners have used 3M on AW but I had a standard front end wrap done shortly after I got the car in July and for the past several months I've noticed that it's starting to look a bit yellow compared with the unwrapped section of the hood and fenders. It's slight enough that it probably wouldn't be noticeable on any other color but any color deviation will be highlighted on white paint. I had a choice of a couple of different brands fron the same installer but he recommended 3M because it's guaranteed to be non-yellowing. I guess I'll find out how good the guarantee is when I take it back this week.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 04:20 PM   #8
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

Xpel Ultimate ftw no yellowing, no staining, no scratches, easy to clean!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 04:40 PM   #9
Jayda
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chill View Post
I'm not sure this was the best idea for me and my BSM car now that I've had it on for a month. I'm not complaining about the install because it was done very nicely, but I have to say I'm a bit surprised at how quickly it stains. I work near the pacific ocean and that means birds and bird droppings at times. It seems if you don't get the bird crap cleaned up within the first 5 minutes your left with a dull stain. Same thing happened when a drop of sap fell onto my hood the other day, I removed it that night but left a very visible spot. Any ideas on removing stains from this protective film?
Xpel makes a PPF cleaner that is supposed to clean it up nicely including environmental hazards (bird poo). It also removes fine scratches and restores gloss. I have not used it yet but bought some after it was recommended by the shop that installed my 3M clear bra. A good wax or sealant also helps. I was really surprised how much smoother the suface of the PPF was after sealing it. I was told not to use clay on PPF, use the above mentioned cleaner instead.
      02-06-2012, 10:39 AM   #10
pjp98z
Rep
Drives: 07 Chevy Silverado

Keeping your Clearbra Glossy

Two quick notes:

1. While all films may look the same, they definitely are not. Ask your installers to write on the film with a permanent marker and let it dry. If he can't wipe it off with a little isopropyl alcohol, then you aren't getting one of the more durable films.

2. Steer clear of using products with petroleum distillates like naptha and kerosene. These are very common in synthetic paint waxes. They will dry out the urethane, enlarge the pores, and turn your film into a dirt sponge. This is often the cause of yellowing or hazing.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 07:17 PM   #11
Chill
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M BSM

Thanks for feedback and recommendations to hand wax. I did this over the weekend and it really helped remove the bird poo stains, although a good hard look will still find a ghost shadow residue. The tree sap mark did not get any better, it looks bad. I have an appointment with the installer next week and I'm sure he will be able to sell me something to make it better haha.
Appreciate 0