E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > BMW diesel engines, issues and fixes

02-05-2012, 07:09 AM   #1
st4
Rep
Drives: Mercedes E320cdi

BMW diesel engines, issues and fixes

Hi Folks,

Some of you may know me from the Mercedes forums.

Presently I drive a E320cdi with the V6 CDi issue. Its been a fairly problematic engine with 82,000 miles on it, I am on inlet port shut off motor 3 (the motor that controls the opening and closing of the swirl flaps) and manifold number two. I really like the car, but its an unreliable piece of crap most of the time.

The reason for this is that EGR deposits soot partially blocking the manifold and partly because oil can dribble out from the turbo causing the motor to shut down and the swirl flaps to gum up, causing the turbo to shut down.

From memory the common issue with 4 and 6 pot BMW's is that these flaps break off and into the engine. On the mercedes this doesn't happen. However I recall there is a manifold kit you can buy for a 4pot BMW that removes the flap mechanism. Is this correct?

Can you blank off the EGR in a BMW diesel? With a swirl flap removal, and EGR disabled, there would be no issue with blocked manifolds and the car would run cleaner, and more economically. Is this a practical solution for a BMW, and if so, what are the costs and which engines can this be done. I would be very keen to know as an E90 estate would serve me very well in Msport guise. I wouldn't want a 18d as that would be too slow (driven one). Any 20d, 25d, 30d, 35d I would consider purchasing but it would have to be a sport. I read, on a Mercedes forum, that the 25d's doesn't have the swirl flaps, is this correct?

With regards to the tranmissions, I would look to purchase an automatic car. I beleive these are sealed for life units. I don't do sealed for life. How easy is to drain both the box and the torque convertor. Draining a 7g Mercedes is easy enough, but you can't get the fluid out the torque convertor readily and refilling the box is a nightmare as you pump the fluid in from the bottom, not pour it in like on a normal automatic box.

Any other general BMW issues would be interesting, I've not had a BMW for 3 years (having had two Mercedes) and I do like the Mercedes range, however with 7speed automatic transmissions, which are becoming the norm, I would like to broaden my horizons car wise and worse case, just learn a little more about the range so I am more informed when changing my car.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 05:53 PM   #2
AlwynMike
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC.

AFAIK, all E9x diesels have swirl flaps.
It is relatively easy to perform a flapectomy - your local Indy can do this in a couple of hours, even if they haven't done it before. The local Dealer won't know what you are talking about, and if they did, they wouldn't do it. Google PMW for flap blanks - they seem to be the originators of mass-market BMW flap blanks, but there are many imitators.
I don't know about EGR removal.
BMW boxes are also sealed for life, and have the same issues as the Merc box with renewing the (very special) fluid. Most people, if they are of a mind to change the fluid, do so around the 120k mile mark from what I've read.

Mike
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 04:22 AM   #3
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

There's a few articles on here about changing the auto gbox oil.

AFAIK the box and torque converter all run in the same oil which will drain as one.

The box sump plate also has a filter in it and the whole sump should be replaced at the same time as it is a sealed unit, you can fill it from the top, but there is no drain plug.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 04:59 AM   #4
rsmallwo
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i

I had my Gearbox oil changed at 85k, my Indy stated this should be done at 60k ideally. I don't think I had a "full change of oil", just 7 litres worth as changing the whole 10litres+ requires about 15litres as you need to use good oil to flush out the bad oil. I had the whole pan and filter swapped over.

You can get those swirl flaps done but we don't hear any stories on here of failures on the e9x's.
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 01:10 PM   #5
st4
Rep

Thank you all for your replies.

What other potential issues are there on E90's. Not fussed engine wise, a 6pot would be nicer than a 4 but maybe the 4 be more nimble.

I know of a "crankcase" breather filter on the 5 series. Changing this usually saves the turbo charger.

I know its obvious but do the cars rust. Mercedes ownership makes you wary of rust and I've had to get the wheel arches sorted on a 2005 E class.

Are there any manifold blockage issues like on the Mercedes engines? Given this costs incurred (over £1500 thanks to Mercedes iffy placement of the turbo).

What pitfalls should I be wary of on 4 and 6pot models. Is the facelifted E90 a much better prospect and "worth the money".

Not bothered re equipment. Inbuilt nav, can take it or leave it. I hate leather seats and would rather cloth/half leather so I'd be looking at the lower spec cars but I do like supportive chairs for B road antics and for general comfort.

PS, are there any issues regarding the ZF 6sp transmission. I did have an X5 with it, but never had it long enough to find out. I do more miles now and keep cars longer. Reliability and longevity are an issue. I bought an E220cdi and wish I bought one of those new C220cdi's as v.little goes wrong with them but I got an E320cdi and its been a bit of a money pit albiet great fun. However, I want to be more informed when I do change cars and I don't rule out anything decent. I know I'd be perfectly happy driving a BMW and are aware they do make a decent quality car.

Finally, injectors and DPF's. Are the injection systems ok on the BM's. In one regard the older Mercs were good in this regard and unless from 2009/10 on, a merc won't have a DPF. My style of driving would regenerate one, but I'd rather go with out a DPF. Any firms remove them....

Last edited by st4; 02-06-2012 at 01:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 07:05 PM   #6
AlwynMike
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F36 440i GC.

The crankcase breather mod doesn't apply to the E9x as the 5 series mod was out as the E9x was launched, so they are all the "modified" part from new.

No rust problems, and nothing like the rust issues on the first South African built Merc's, thankfully!

The LCi's are more economical, with the Efficient Dynamics stuff. Worth the money? Don't know!!

Not heard of any manifold blockage issues, nor of any gearbox problems.

Injectors OK, but, along with the 5 series, the glowplugs seem to be weak, and start expiring around the 5 year mark, but with experience of my 530, with 3 plugs showing error codes, it never failed to start easily - maybe only on 4 or 5 in the coldest weather after being left a while (it lived outside all year).

Mike
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 01:17 PM   #7
st4
Rep

Whats the best engine to go for then. I currently average 37mpg from my E320cdi. It cracks 60 in under 7secs and can do 155mph. I don't mind a slower car, but something reasonable.

I think a 320d above would be fine. Does the forum feel that the 320d is that much worse than the 6pot cars. I know a 320d would be a lot more economical.

Whats the most durable of the cars.

I read somewhere about ZF torque convertor lurch issues, is this a major one or has this been resolved.

Sorry for all the questions, but I do want to understand the range a lot better.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 01:22 PM   #8
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
330d........
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 01:39 PM   #9
st4
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Dave View Post
330d........
From a fun or reliability prespective. The EML light on the merc is on, again, and at over £3000 in 38k miles I cannot be doing with the less reliable model in the range. I came from an E220cdi which was flawless, but a tad slow, to this shed which isn't flawless but a lot more fun. I want the fun and the working car this time around, and find something under 4yo at a main dealer for £15k.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 02:04 PM   #10
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
Both!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 02:21 PM   #11
pjs
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i8

I had 3 x 330d, 2 e46' s and 1 e90. I did 60k in the first, 90k each in the 2nd and 3rd. Never had an engine problem. Highly reccomended. Drove them hard, averaged 36 mpg in the e90..
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 02:52 PM   #12
st4
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjs View Post
I had 3 x 330d, 2 e46' s and 1 e90. I did 60k in the first, 90k each in the 2nd and 3rd. Never had an engine problem. Highly reccomended. Drove them hard, averaged 36 mpg in the e90..
PJS, are you on MBClub?

driven the 320cdi hard, got it into the very low 20's.

Cost wise, I don't want to spend more than £15k will that get me a decent 330d or would that sort of money be better in a 320d.

Is the consensus genuinely the 330d is the more reliable car. I do drive fast from time to time, but suspect 180bhp will be enough even for me in a 320d.
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 03:32 PM   #13
pjs
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by st4 View Post
PJS, are you on MBClub?

driven the 320cdi hard, got it into the very low 20's.

Cost wise, I don't want to spend more than £15k will that get me a decent 330d or would that sort of money be better in a 320d.

Is the consensus genuinely the 330d is the more reliable car. I do drive fast from time to time, but suspect 180bhp will be enough even for me in a 320d.
I am, same username, same avatar.

The 330d engine is very, very good. I dont know if its more reliable than a 320d, all I can say is that I had no engine problems. Is far more refined than the few 320d's I've driven - hire cars, loaners etc.
Appreciate 0