ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

05-30-2007, 06:27 PM   #1
EK
into music, into shipping, into z4
Greece
Rep
Drives: z4 3.0si roadster 6tronicthing

Question oil consumption

Hello!

I've just got a brand new z4 3.0si roadster (2007) and noticed that its oil level dropped a bit after about 2,250 km. The guys at BMW say this is quite normal for 3 lt engines, but I would like to know if any of you owning same car have experienced a similar situation.

Appreciate 0
      05-30-2007, 07:29 PM   #2
Samiad
United_States
Rep
Drives: nada

My oil level took a drop after 3000 miles, although that did coincide with a *very* spirited 1600 mile drive. :rocks:
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2007, 07:20 AM   #3
561design
z4um Hooligan
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 3.0Si

The engines do consume a large amount of oil before the first oil change. After that oil conumption will go down.
      05-31-2007, 07:42 PM   #4
EK
Greece
Rep

Thanks dudes! See, I also own a Alfa Romeo Spider (91 model), which when it comes in oil issues it's a real pain in the ass. So, having experienced all sorts of oil problems with it I've become really cautious about the subject. But BMW is another thing, oh yes!

:rocks:
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2007, 07:27 PM   #5
AlterEgo
25 star General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by EK View Post
Hello!

I've just got a brand new z4 3.0si roadster (2007) and noticed that its oil level dropped a bit after about 2,250 km. The guys at BMW say this is quite normal for 3 lt engines, but I would like to know if any of you owning same car have experienced a similar situation.

How could you tell, without the dipstick?
Professional SatNav; Heated/Folding/Auto Dimming Mirrors; Rear Park Distance Control; Heated Electric ///M Sports Seats with Memory; Bi-Xenon Headlamps; 18" 202 Ellipsoid Rims; Brushed Aluminium Trim; Black/Blue Individual Leather; Window Tint; Carver Audio; Paint Protection; Floor Mats; Storage; 6 Speed Automatic with Paddles; OziCozi
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2007, 03:22 AM   #6
EK
Greece
Rep

The car has an electronic indicator displaying the kmeters oil service is required. I've been told that this is the way to check oil in this very car. Dunno guys, really dunno as I am used myself in the old fashioned stick-y way...
Any help welcome.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2007, 04:57 AM   #7
AlterEgo
25 star General
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW Z4 3.0si Coupe

OK then. I don't have my car yet - less than a month before delivery - so please try to bear with my silly questions.

Does the oil indicator show the actual oil level, oil usage or does it use a combination of sensors to determine servicing schedule?

Exactly how much oil was used (and I mean exactly, not some estimate or guess) - 2250km I would imagine that during the first run-in phase of the engine there might be some oil use in the order of even a litre. Not all engines use very much oil, some do and some more than others.

So when you state that the oil level "dropped a bit" - what does this mean?

My current car - a Subaru Legacy 6 cylinder uses 1 litre every 12500km. It used about double this amount in the first 10000km. I don't find this at all concerning. I check the oil 2 or 3 times in this period and top up as necessary. To me this is perfectly normal.

I would be concerned if the car used 1 litre per 1000km, as this could run the engine dry between services, if not checked.
Professional SatNav; Heated/Folding/Auto Dimming Mirrors; Rear Park Distance Control; Heated Electric ///M Sports Seats with Memory; Bi-Xenon Headlamps; 18" 202 Ellipsoid Rims; Brushed Aluminium Trim; Black/Blue Individual Leather; Window Tint; Carver Audio; Paint Protection; Floor Mats; Storage; 6 Speed Automatic with Paddles; OziCozi
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2007, 06:48 AM   #8
561design
z4um Hooligan
Jamaica
Rep
Drives: 3.0Si

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlterEgo View Post
Does the oil indicator show the actual oil level, oil usage or does it use a combination of sensors to determine servicing schedule?

Yes, on your gauge cluster it shows oil level along with how many miles left before getting an oil service.
      06-05-2007, 07:34 AM   #9
takedown8
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 BMW Z4 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 561design View Post
Yes, on your gauge cluster it shows oil level along with how many miles left before getting an oil service.
That must be new 'cause mine doesn't have it.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2007, 12:30 PM   #10
EK
Greece
Rep

Indeed, that ''s" in the latest generation of z4s bears some nice surprizes. BMW consider it as ''upgrades''. Nonetheless, regarding the oil thing, I havent dared to put my hands in as the retailer's technician was crystal clear: you will change the oil and the filter when the car tells you so. No changing in the first 2k km as it's used in other, mainly older cars, nor in the 10k km as most drivers do. I've been told all these after I drove my car to their shop to change filter and oil after the first 2k km - they saved me 140 euros but that's not the case.

In respect to the indicator you only have to turn the ignition on and you see in the screen a number by the phrase Oil Service. H'ever, there's also a button -they'll show you when the car is to be delivered to you- which once you push it it starts counting the oil within (it's a five stage scale, where full=five). Last time I did it the measurement revealed that oil level was one grade below, with the remark "OK".

Well, as I wrote previously I was very cautious with the oil issue thanks to my Alfa Spider. Z4 introduces a brave new high-tech world though and I think I like it! You see.

ps. regarding how clever the indicator is not to only measure the quantity of oil but also its quality, I'm looking forward to finding an answer too.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2007, 12:59 PM   #11
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
ps. regarding how clever the indicator is not to only measure the quantity of oil but also its quality, I'm looking forward to finding an answer too.
As far as "quality" goes there is only one way to be sure;
That is by taking oil samples for testing.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2007, 03:21 PM   #12
takedown8
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
In respect to the indicator you only have to turn the ignition on and you see in the screen a number by the phrase Oil Service. H'ever, there's also a button -they'll show you when the car is to be delivered to you- which once you push it it starts counting the oil within (it's a five stage scale, where full=five). Last time I did it the measurement revealed that oil level was one grade below, with the remark "OK".
Why don't you just tell us which button you're talking about?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2007, 12:58 PM   #13
EK
Greece
Rep

oil service button

the (two) button(s) located right behind the driving wheel, as you see it from the drivers seat; right above its axis one can say and under the two 'tube-like nests of speed and engine rpm indicators.

their shape is similar (but smaller of course) to that 'search' emoticon button here below:
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2007, 02:44 PM   #14
takedown8
Major
United_States
Rep

Press them at the same time?
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2007, 03:38 PM   #15
AlanL
First Lieutenant