BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-05-2012, 04:18 PM   #1
saratoga mdude
Rep
Drives: 1M coupe

Oct 2011 build 1M with "bluetooth and USB" option fails to operate with apple cable

group: so I finally have my October ED 1M in my garage after a 2 month hold at the port… I got the new for sept 2011 production option "hands-free bluetooth and USB" for $400 which i thought was supposed to allow my ipod to connect and play using just the standard apple usb cable.. but it doesn't . when i try to connect that way the display reads "that cable is not supported." I thought that starting sept 2010 prod. the BMW Y cable was history… what might be going on here? shouldn't the ipod work fine with a std apple cable (i've tried 3). the aux jack hookup works fine. any other 1M's have a similar problem? did I not get the $400 option I paid for?
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 04:58 PM   #2
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

I don't think the problem is you had the new option (available after September) of hands-free with USB, it is the same USB you have in your car. The problem is you need to use that BMW Y cable anyway and the standart Apple cable might not work. I never heard something like the BMW Y cable was history, it is still in the list of accessories and there is a mention of it in the options list that you need to use it . In fact my car came with one to my surprise, probably the dealer put that in and not the factory. Since I did not utilize neither USB nor Bluetooth yet, like some other options I have in my car, somebody else who did may tell you better what to do next. All I want to assure you is as long as you have the same USB port your car is the same as ours. Contact your dealer, I remember that lots of US users also got their cable free at the time of delivery.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 05:08 PM   #3
///Mbedded
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///1M Coupe VO

Check your Bluetooth options - pairing your phone with the car will sometimes 'steal' the audio channel. Check your Bluetooth settings by going to Telephone -> settings. There should be a checkbox for audio and phone. Uncheck the one for audio.
      02-05-2012, 05:40 PM   #4
Dee Pee
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 AW 1M, ‘24 718 GTS

Mine works fine. I have an iPod Nano in the car on an apple cable and my iPhone Bluetooth connection also works for phone calls.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 05:46 PM   #5
ayao
Thread killer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga mdude View Post
group: so I finally have my October ED 1M in my garage after a 2 month hold at the port… I got the new for sept 2011 production option "hands-free bluetooth and USB" for $400 which i thought was supposed to allow my ipod to connect and play using just the standard apple usb cable.. but it doesn't . when i try to connect that way the display reads "that cable is not supported." I thought that starting sept 2010 prod. the BMW Y cable was history… what might be going on here? shouldn't the ipod work fine with a std apple cable (i've tried 3). the aux jack hookup works fine. any other 1M's have a similar problem? did I not get the $400 option I paid for?
There have been sporadic reports of this issue on 1addicts without a clear resolution that I recall. For reference my car was a September build and had Assist/BT/USB included without charge and the standard iDevice USB cable works without utilizing the Aux port. It's a non-idrive car.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 05:52 PM   #6
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by saratoga mdude View Post
same here, who can confirm if the regular ipod cable is supposed to work with Sept 2011 1M cars (USB & BT, without Idrive) or not. References appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 06:01 PM   #7
bueller
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 EB F31 2018 LG F80

Garage List
I have an iPhone 4S and I use it with an iPhone cable not the BMW Y Connector, it is a black Griffin cable, as I figured it would look better than the white. I am using the USB port between the seats, and I do have iDrive. Maybe try a different cable, I know I have found that over time the iPod cables can detach at the base.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 08:55 PM   #8
ronster
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M VO

Mine is Nov build and have used the standard Apple cable to connect my iPhone 4S no problem. However, it doesn't recognize an older iPod (iPod mini in my case) with the cable.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 09:50 PM   #9
dcb
Private
Rep
Drives: Black 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronster View Post
Mine is Nov build and have used the standard Apple cable to connect my iPhone 4S no problem. However, it doesn't recognize an older iPod (iPod mini in my case) with the cable.
Same with me. Have 2 iPhones 3 iPods (collectively with my gf) and the only thing that doesn't work is the iPod Nano gen 1.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 10:31 PM   #10
///Mbedded
Private
United_States
Rep

To clear this up:
If you want to play music from your iPod / iPhone's music collection, then you only need a USB cable - Apple's white cable works fine.

If you are looking to play audio from an app (non-BMW Apps compatible) or otherwise, you usually need to use the Aux In.
      02-05-2012, 10:42 PM   #11
ayao
Thread killer
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mbedded View Post
To clear this up:
If you want to play music from your iPod / iPhone's music collection, then you only need a USB cable - Apple's white cable works fine.

If you are looking to play audio from an app (non-BMW Apps compatible) or otherwise, you usually need to use the Aux In.
I stream both pandora and Tunein via the iPhone USB cable alone...
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2012, 11:00 PM   #12
///Mbedded
Private
United_States
Rep

Ayao, it just depends on whether or not the app has implemented digital audio versus just analog.
      02-06-2012, 12:47 AM   #13
eeghie
Kind of a big deal
Rep
Drives: an 1M not often enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Mbedded View Post
To clear this up:

THX for trying to clarfy ...

- Before (being aware of) playing any music, immediately after connecting my iPod (4Gen) the "cable not support" statement appears ...?

- Without having BMW apps installed (no iDrive), how can I tell what is or is not BMW Apps compatible?

- FI some members have reported that they play Pandora via their iDrive equipped systems. Does that mean that without iDrive I can play Pandora on the iPhone with a digital signal (No Y-Cable)?

THX
Appreciate 0
      02-06-2012, 01:10 AM   #14
alicefrerichs
Rep
Drives: bmw

There should be a checkbox for audio and phone

Appreciate 0