BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

02-07-2012, 12:51 PM   #1
flzrider
Captain
Rep
Drives: AW 1M

Is this normal?

I just noticed that the passenger (right) side of my 1M has a flap sticking up right behind the front wheel/tire that the other side does not. I am wondering if this is normal or if something is out of place. Can someone check for me?

Pic:
Attached Images

02-08-2012, 08:20 AM   #2
torquedemon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M

Garage List
just checked mine, and it looks identical on both sides with no such flap sticking out....I couldn't tell you what that is but it doesn't look too troubling.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 08:29 AM   #3
MDORPHN
Colonel
Rep

Not certain, but believe that should be inside the wheel well liner.

Do you know whether the liner had been removed for any service or repair?

In any event, it's no big deal and would be easy to correct.

Neil
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 10:18 AM   #4
flzrider
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by torquedemon View Post
just checked mine, and it looks identical on both sides with no such flap sticking out....I couldn't tell you what that is but it doesn't look too troubling.
Thanks for checking, I appreciate it. I knew it was odd that one side was different than the other.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDORPHN View Post
Not certain, but believe that should be inside the wheel well liner.

Do you know whether the liner had been removed for any service or repair?

In any event, it's no big deal and would be easy to correct.

Neil
The car hasn't been to any dealer for service except the VPC which did the break-in service. Doubt they would touch the fender liner.

I guess I'll have to lift it up, take off the wheel and get a closer look.
      02-08-2012, 10:56 AM   #5
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
It was probably something that just got missed during assembly. My car had ZERO plastic carpet plugs in the trunk area when I took delivery. Service manager just grabbed a bag from parts and popped them in. It happens.... They couldn't believe I would notice such a thing. lol
      02-08-2012, 11:42 AM   #6
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by flzrider View Post
Thanks for checking, I appreciate it. I knew it was odd that one side was different than the other.

The car hasn't been to any dealer for service except the VPC which did the break-in service. Doubt they would touch the fender liner.

I guess I'll have to lift it up, take off the wheel and get a closer look.
I would check it just to be sure. Not to get you scared, but just so you know, if there is ever a delivery damage (say during shipping or during VPC), the car manufacturer is not obligated to disclose that to you as long as the damage is under a certain percentage of the value of the car (IIRC it is 7%), and they address it of course. Not saying anything in your particular case happened, but I have seen it elsewhere (e.g. repainted bumpers, etc.)
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 12:18 PM   #7
flzrider
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M1 View Post
I would check it just to be sure. Not to get you scared, but just so you know, if there is ever a delivery damage (say during shipping or during VPC), the car manufacturer is not obligated to disclose that to you as long as the damage is under a certain percentage of the value of the car (IIRC it is 7%), and they address it of course. Not saying anything in your particular case happened, but I have seen it elsewhere (e.g. repainted bumpers, etc.)
I've detailed the car a few times since getting it back in the states and I haven't found any indication of damage or repairs.

What's strange is that I'm fairly certain I would have noticed this earlier since I always scrub the inside of the fenders when I wash the car. But then again, I can't image what would cause that piece to come out from underneath like that either.