E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > HELP! Transmission need to come out

02-07-2012, 02:08 PM   #1
tinnsoldaten
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: e92 335i coupe

HELP! Transmission need to come out

My transmission started to fail and I got the transmission faulty on Idrive.
I was on my way home from work out of town , and had like 30 km left when it started. Transmission was in forced D mode and bugging home at slow speed , if to much tourqe , it would slip. I had to do a quick stop and buy some stuff before I got home , when trying to leave shop , I had no reverse ...

I pushed it out and put it in D and drove towards home but had to give up 1 km from home and walk the last bit...

I suspect it is clutch disc`s inside AT transmission that is worn to pieces , but I am suprised that I came so sudden with now warning and completely gone in short time.

I have plans to lift the car up and pick the tranny down and have it replaced with a remanufactured one.

I dont think it is any other way to fix this , car has been driven like its been stolen for many kilometers , its 77k kilometers on speedo.

Is there anyone here that has taken out transmission on this car ?

Car is 09/2006 335iA , will I be able to use car after swap? and how do I do the transmission reset?

I have gotten myself a new transmission for about 900$ , its a 2008.

Anything to make sure to look for when selecting new transmission ? fitment , version conflict ect?

Been looking at the DCT option but not sure if that will be to complicated and probelmatic to retro install on my car.

All info that can help me is appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 02:14 PM   #2
amclint
boom
Rep
Drives: 335xi

You'll have to get the trans coded if it was different coding from your last one, not sure what that involves but a few people on the boards have gone through it so hopefully one of them will chime in.

I may pull mine to do work on the Torque Converter myself, so I'm subscribing for updates on how you end up pulling it
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 02:24 PM   #3
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

i took it out to rebuild it. i have no clue though if you need to recode the trans module. I dont think it matters but best you ask BMW .
Attached Images

07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 02:31 PM   #4
Beemw335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Ive posted about my issues a few times.
I had no reverse or drive when at a standstill. I had to keep the car in neutral when I was stopped and quickly get moving once I put it into gear.
It ended up being a megatronic valve which failed, and not due to too much power since I have no aftermarket parts on the car. The dealer changed the whole thing for me, but if I was out of warranty I would have had a transmission shop change the valve, its basicaly a valve that opnes during gear changes and the car didnt know what gear to chose so it was sort of in gear but in neutral and would slip. I suspect that this failure was cause due to my transmission sleeve leaking. I bought the car and it was already leaking so I imagine that it was damage then and was only a matter of time till it failed.

I would highly recomend that you guys get a bt cable, when mine failed, my friend scanned it for me because even though Im under warranty I was curious to see what had happened, and I told me the exact problem the car didnt know what gear to choose..
I wish you the best of luck op, and you got a good deal 900 bucks, buying one from the dealer is 6k without labour. So in all like a 10k job.

Let us know how it goes, best of luck!
Appreciate 0
      02-07-2012, 02:53 PM   #5
apme123
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2002 Honda S2000

the mechtronic is also known as a regular valve body, was the mechtronic sleeve leaking?
      02-07-2012, 07:34 PM   #6
CarleeSWE
OEM+ is the shit
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW 335ia Crimsonred

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinnsoldaten
My transmission started to fail and I got the transmission faulty on Idrive.
I was on my way home from work out of town , and had like 30 km left when it started. Transmission was in forced D mode and bugging home at slow speed , if to much tourqe , it would slip. I had to do a quick stop and buy some stuff before I got home , when trying to leave shop , I had no reverse ...

I pushed it out and put it in D and drove towards home but had to give up 1 km from home and walk the last bit...

I suspect it is clutch disc`s inside AT transmission that is worn to pieces , but I am suprised that I came so sudden with now warning and completely gone in short time.

I have plans to lift the car up and pick the tranny down and have it replaced with a remanufactured one.

I dont think it is any other way to fix this , car has been driven like its been stolen for many kilometers , its 77k kilometers on speedo.

Is there anyone here that has taken out transmission on this car ?

Car is 09/2006 335iA , will I be able to use car after swap? and how do I do the transmission reset?

I have gotten myself a new transmission for about 900$ , its a 2008.

Anything to make sure to look for when selecting new transmission ? fitment , version conflict ect?

Been looking at the DCT option but not sure if that will be to complicated and probelmatic to retro install on my car.

All info that can help me is appreciated.

Thanks in advance
Very sorry to hear that but you must have gotten a very good deal on the 900$ tranny! What mods do you run and how many miles tuned?
      02-07-2012, 07:52 PM   #7
bv1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe AT

BMW lists two different part numbers for the auto transmissions up to 03/2007 build and from 04/2007 on.

I'm not sure what the difference is though.

I may need to pull mine as it has been slipping for a while.
      02-08-2012, 05:44 AM   #8
tinnsoldaten
Captain
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarleeSWE View Post
Very sorry to hear that but you must have gotten a very good deal on the 900$ tranny! What mods do you run and how many miles tuned?
I got the car at 40 or 50k km`s started with the JB3 tune , then DPs and full exhaust mod. Intake is aFe DCI stage 2 , AA FMIC .

Quaife LSD installed also

The car was airborn 2 years ago , just got "rebuilt" so I am still seeing ghost from that , frame is ok , but lights and steering is faulty , xenon module on one side , damage to rubber seal from steering rack and probably water have leaked in and causes some rust and now gaskets are damaged and steering is leaking oil. Or just the impact from landing could have caused some damage .

Im open to the possibility that it might be impact that have caused some damage to some seal or something causing a leak.

Im going to get the car on jack systands and crawl under and inspect closer.

I will try to see if its enough oil on transmission and see if Im able to top up and get transmission to work again. If that is the case I will have a transmission flush performed , and change the filter module in transmission too.

If I need to pick down transmission I will have the transmission available rebuilt and fitted.

And for now just keep fingers crossed and hope for the best... I have experienced similar things with AT , then it was the clutch disc inside transmission that was toast and needed new transmission....

Im going to look into what the cost will be to have this AT rebuilt.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 05:49 AM   #9
tinnsoldaten
Captain
Norway
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bv1 View Post
BMW lists two different part numbers for the auto transmissions up to 03/2007 build and from 04/2007 on.

I'm not sure what the difference is though.

I may need to pull mine as it has been slipping for a while.
I think one of the difference is size in memory module in transmission.

I once tried to look into possibilities of making my transmission work on principles like new M cars with autos , when using paddles , gears are looked in gear that you choose, only shift down automaticly. Some said it was possible , but my memory module was too small to reflash with this option.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 05:54 AM   #10
tinnsoldaten
Captain
Norway
Rep

Also , something I remember just before this happend , I was driving calm suddenly it was like it slipped / rpm jumped and then the transmission faulty came in Idrive.

I hope and beg its something that can be fixed easily , if not Im glad I have access to cheap spares.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 02:01 PM   #11
tinnsoldaten
Captain
Norway
Rep

Searched a bit and found this on transmission removal... lots of special tools ... just wonder how special are they and what can I not macyver myself?

http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/11/83/12
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2012, 04:23 PM   #12
tinnsoldaten
Captain
Norway
Rep

Ok , since winter and icy outside I jacked up front of car and got to the drainplug of the transmission , only 2 liters came out. Filtering oil now to check for particles in oil , but I hope its for some reason got low on oil and thats why I got problems... fingers crossed.

Any inputs on how to top up with oil ? I got 8 liters , so was thinking to flush out a little if possible. I still not gotten into locating the filler hole , but I hope its forward on transmission so Im able to fill, dont want to jack up rear end if I dont have to...
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 02:43 AM   #13
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinnsoldaten View Post
Ok , since winter and icy outside I jacked up front of car and got to the drainplug of the transmission , only 2 liters came out. Filtering oil now to check for particles in oil , but I hope its for some reason got low on oil and thats why I got problems... fingers crossed.

Any inputs on how to top up with oil ? I got 8 liters , so was thinking to flush out a little if possible. I still not gotten into locating the filler hole , but I hope its forward on transmission so Im able to fill, dont want to jack up rear end if I dont have to...
you still have lots of oil left in the torque converter but 2 ltr is definetely too little. when they drained mine i think around 4-5 ltr. came out just by removing the pan.
There is a specific procedure to fill the oil which involves running the car and go through gears , the oil needs to reach a certain temperature as well.
you should have investigated this before actually draining the oil.
Maybe your pan was leaking oil, common issue.
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 06:25 AM   #14
JunkStory
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, 8V RS3

Quote:

The fill hole is on the side, facing left I believe. When I unplugged the drain hole I got 5.4l out, but that was after driving the car for a while.

You will need to pump about 3.5 liters back in, start the engine for about 5 mins, run through the gears, and with the engine still on, pump another 1.5-2 liters back in. Hopefully this fixes your problem at least a little. Let us know.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 06:36 AM   #15
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JunkStory View Post
The fill hole is on the side, facing left I believe. When I unplugged the drain hole I got 5.4l out, but that was after driving the car for a while.

You will need to pump about 3.5 liters back in, start the engine for about 5 mins, run through the gears, and with the engine still on, pump another 1.5-2 liters back in. Hopefully this fixes your problem at least a little. Let us know.
correct is on "driver side" you will need a long small hose and feed it with gravity. after you put the oil and run it hot you can check level by opening the side hole there. no oil should come out. Its important the oil is hot for the right level. I dont think there is a need to flush anything. just level it and see if it fixes the issue. Strange though oil level would be so low without noticing a leak .
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 06:50 AM   #16
Tzu
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Filtering oil now to check for particles in oil ,
I got magplugs in all oil systems for this purpose.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 10:07 AM   #17
tinnsoldaten
Captain
Norway
Rep

Ok , got 3,5 liters pumped in , put car on ground again and start up. I still have transmission faulty on Idrive , SportsDrive is blocked when this fault is present.
I ran shifter thru P-R-N-D , back and forth. Seems like I got some response from reverse now. But D is not there yet.

I guess this fault when triggered enough times it demands reset by BMW computer ...
I unhooked negative on battery and left the car for now.Would like to know if this fault can be erased by me , got two cables and various software. But have problem with full communication between cable and computer. Basicly only tried carsoft 6.5 do far.

Id like to know if this fault on transmission will prevent transmission from working properly until erased.

Any tip on what software to best do diagnostic ? I got a small laptop with windows xp installed. Got an old stationary computer with wonderful com ports on them , but dont tempt so much carry that outside....
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 10:49 AM   #18
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep

Quote:
Ok , got 3,5 liters pumped in , put car on ground again and start up. I still have transmission faulty on Idrive , SportsDrive is blocked when this fault is present.
I ran shifter thru P-R-N-D , back and forth. Seems like I got some response from reverse now. But D is not there yet.

I guess this fault when triggered enough times it demands reset by BMW computer ...
I unhooked negative on battery and left the car for now.Would like to know if this fault can be erased by me , got two cables and various software. But have problem with full communication between cable and computer. Basicly only tried carsoft 6.5 do far.

Id like to know if this fault on transmission will prevent transmission from working properly until erased.

Any tip on what software to best do diagnostic ? I got a small laptop with windows xp installed. Got an old stationary computer with wonderful com ports on them , but dont tempt so much carry that outside....
i was able to access the transmission with INPA. Check Vasillalov injectors coding thread. I was able to find updated inpa files for the trans as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 03:29 PM   #19
tinnsoldaten
Captain
Norway
Rep

Ok, jacked the car up and filled another 3 liter , car is now slightly level but still a little down in front , let the excess oil run out of fill hole and closed up.

Put the car down on ground and fired up , still only revers that engages properly , D is not working properly.

Trying to get some diagnostic software to work but its a pain in the xxx

Need to erase some errors too .

How does one reset the transmission? Only thru diagnostic software?
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 06:14 PM   #20
samchoi604
Colonel
Rep
Drives: black on black

Wow, you managed to 6.5 liters in despite only getting 2 liters out. That's a step in the right direction.

You can try to reset the transmission adaptation by
1) Insert key
2) press Start once (no engine start)
3) Press throttle all the way, and hold for 30 seconds

This will reset adaptation but I doubt it will help your case. Try to find a shop with the BT tool.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2012, 07:35 PM   #21
tinnsoldaten
Captain
Norway
Rep

Ok , think I got INPA software working with my car , I started car earlier while on jack stands and got a load of faults popping up... tire pressure sensor DSC ect...

After a lot of reading and hunting on internet for correct software and right versions...
AND correct configuration I finally got connection between my OB2 to USB and software.

Deleted all errors on chassi module , same one engine , BUT when I came to transmission I got fault , and I think I know why. While crawling under there filling oil on the tranny I saw label on tranny saying GA6HP21Z if I read right.... and INPA diagnostic only offers GA6HP19Z in selection... So I guess Im stuck for now until I can figure out a way to erase tranmission module for errors. Putting in software and rewrite the module seems like the safest way to make sure fault is erased...

Anybody got software for transmission ?
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2012, 06:41 PM   #22
tinnsoldaten
Captain
Norway
Rep

Finally , got fine tuned settings with cable and drivers , ran diagnostic once more and was able to run diagnostic on transmission. I can put up the codes I got , currently they are on diagnostic laptop but will end up here soon.

After erasing faults on transmission , DS and M1 to M6 was enabled again.

Took the car out for a quick testdrive and parked after 5 minutes.

Now I need to locate the leak....

For those who need guide to get ob2 to usb to work with INPA and others,
search for this on google : An idiots guide to BMW INPA installation with a modded USB Vagcom interface for WinXP.

Great writeup and have everything covered and explained
Appreciate 0