E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > So my 335i goes in for an oil service

02-08-2012, 11:43 AM   #1
philgr
Rep
Drives: E92 335i Coupe

So my 335i goes in for an oil service

I have had my 335i for 8 months - bought as an approved used BMW from the local stealer, the service prompt came on for an oil change booked it in for last Friday,

In the service check they spotted the rear alloys are cracked on the inside and a rattle on one of the turbos

Just been called this afternoon to be told the Alloys are being replaced as a good will gesture by BMW although I do need 2 new tyres, and checks on the turbos show that one of them is out of tolerance so they are replacing them under warranty

Thank god for the warranty

Do I replace the run flats with normal tyres while I'm at it ????

PG
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 12:07 PM   #2
pjs
Colonel
Rep
Drives: i8

Result

If you remove the RFT, they wont cover any more cracked wheels. Change at your peril!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 01:56 PM   #3
Arch Stanton
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i touring

but they are less likely to crack with non RFT. The ride on mine was noticeably better on non RFTs. Nowhere near as much jarring.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 02:00 PM   #4
mistryn
Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW 335D

Is that AUC warranty or BMW extended warranty? and what delaer did you use?

I need to take mine in for a brake fluid change but dont know if they will do a general check as my 335D seems down on power (think the small turbo/actuator is on its way out as I can also hear a faint whine at low revs) or will I need to stump up the diag fee

I would personally go for non rflt but should the alloy crack or any others crack then it may not be covered?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 02:21 PM   #5
philgr
Rep

It was an approved used BMW so I'm assuming it's the extended warranty

I'm not going to name the dealer as the initial response from the service manager was disappointing ie his first response was it was going to cost me for the wheels and engine work, he knew nothing of the wheel issues and I had to remind him it was in warranty and I bought it from them, since going over him and dealing with his boss the respose has improved greatly.

It is a result getting it done under warranty but I am disappointed that i have had these issues, since I have had the car, it has needed a new wing mirror (motor failed), had all the injectors replaced, had the HPFP replaced, and now the turbos are shot and the wheels are cracked.

I have had a lot of high performance cars in my time - a 911C4, lotus exige, evo , STi , none of them have needed this much dealer attention - I'm starting to think I have a lemon it will have to be on its best behaviour in the next couple of months or it will be trade in time and a change of marquee

PG
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 02:35 PM   #6
nicktyler
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i (sadly gone)

Garage List
What mileage are you at PG and how much would it have cost if the warranty diddn't cover it?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 02:40 PM   #7
philgr
Rep

Just turned 40k and I was too scared to ask on the cost for the work, The manager suggested the work was very expensive when on the phone, and I was ready to kick off when he quickly told me it was lucky the warranty was covering it.

I thought it best to not even go there
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 03:56 PM   #8
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

New turbos is an engine out job, so a few grand easy. I gather the turbos have come down to about 500 each recently.

Is your car less than 3 years old phil? Sounds like you've had the whole list of 335i faults!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2012, 04:28 PM   #9
BGM
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 M140i

Quote:
Originally Posted by philgr View Post
Just turned 40k and I was too scared to ask on the cost for the work, The manager suggested the work was very expensive when on the phone, and I was ready to kick off when he quickly told me it was lucky the warranty was covering it.

I thought it best to not even go there
aww, i always ask whenever i get any warranty work done.. makes me feel giddy
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 01:12 PM   #10
philgr
Rep

I'm told i will get the car back tomorrow, new turbos and all

Will the new turbos be like for like or will they be a new spec i.e. with a fix to prevent a repeat issue ?

PG
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 01:32 PM   #11
CarAbuser
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i DCT / E92 335i DCT

They will still replace cracked wheels if you use non-rft tyres.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 07:47 PM   #12
AlanYoro35i
Senior Troll
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Coming soon-718 Cayman S

Don't fall for the new tyre trick ,if your tyres are good(?) . I had 2 rear replaced but the dealer was forcing me to purchase new tyres at 330 each. I stand my point saying that my research shows a professional tyre fitter can refit it no problem as there is no legistration regarding aperfectly good condition tyre cannot be refitted as at the
end of the day my tyres are stillwithin legal side!.

They wouldn't allow me to supply my own tyres, they wouldn't let me have the alloys by itself. They said they have to change the tyres themself and supplied by there own network.

If you do have good tyres, then they will try to hard to make u buy the tyres. They will say things like its not possible to refit, you have part worn tyres. Bmw won't allow it blablabla to make the situatiin sound dangerous.. hope my experiamce helps

Now: 718 Cayman GTS / F83 M4
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 06:53 AM   #13
philgr
Rep

No New tyre trick played on me,

The existing tyres were due to be replaced, just doing it a couple of weeks sooner, the dealer was very happy for me to supply my own tyres (which is what i have done) or take the new alloys away and bring them back with tyres, also were happy to fit Non-RunFlats if i signed a disclosure

fingers crossed collect the car later today

PG
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 09:27 AM   #14
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by philgr View Post
No New tyre trick played on me,

also were happy to fit Non-RunFlats if i signed a disclosure

PG
A WHAT?

BMW supply cars with runflat delete as an option WTF is the legal nonsense for?
      02-10-2012, 09:36 AM   #15
philgr
Rep

That was the discussion on the phone, fingers crossed my car is ready to collect I will ask them to clarify what the disclosure is for
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2012, 12:20 PM   #16
philgr
Rep

Just back in from collecting the car, all seems well, car feels smoother and appears to have a bit more urgency, but TBH i won't be able to tell if it drives better until i take it for a proper run and get the new tyres run in.

Not too impressed with the service manager who implied that BMW had done me a big fav, i pointed out that if he thinks its acceptable and normal for a car to have that amount of work done on it, then that does not say much about the quality of the brand, his response was that if i want to run a high performance car i should expect high bills from time to time - i told him that was not my experience of performance cars in 20+ years of owning them

On a positive note they have cleaned the car

PG
Appreciate 0