E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Removing e90 rear bumper - do i need bumper guides?

02-09-2012, 02:48 PM   #1
beaumer
Rep
Drives: bmw e90 red

Removing e90 rear bumper - do i need bumper guides?

hey guys!

im going to attempt to fit a m sport bumper onto my 06 e90...do i need new bumper guides to fit it or is there anyway to get around buying new ones? also..does anyone know of a diy guide on removing the bumper!

any advice would be greatly appreciated

cheers
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2012, 04:56 PM   #2
JamesM3M5
Some dude
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

If you're careful, you can pry the bumper off the plastic guides without breaking any tabs. Basically you have to remove a bunch of 8mm head screws from the wheel well liners where they attach to the bumper cover, and also some underneath as well. I think you also have to pull the black plastic trim right inside the trunk sill, but it's been a while. There are some small T20 or T25 Torx head screws underneath some small access covers on the black trim.

Then pull the wheel well liners back and look at the plastic tabs to determine how to pry on them to release the bumper. IIRC, at least one on each side will try to grip harder if you don't pry it out of the way, and it will either tear the ear off the bumper or break the plastic. Just go slowly and have a flashlight handy. A second pair of hands also helps, and put cardboard/rug/towels down so if it falls to the ground it doesn't get scratched up.