Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Replacing single winter tire

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

02-10-2012, 07:35 PM   #1
ajfcpajd
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335is

Replacing single winter tire

I have a 2008 335 sedan and have a dedicated set of winter wheels mounted with Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D tires. I have one tire that has to be replaced (low air pressure light came on - I filled with air and when I was finished I could hear the air rushing out of the tire). Needless to say the tire has to be replaced. The guy at the tire center assures me I can replace just one (the good tires have at least 80% treadlife remaining) but one website says they should only be in sets of 4. Which is correct?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 03:33 PM   #2
SmellyGreek
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue F22 M235i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajfcpajd View Post
I have a 2008 335 sedan and have a dedicated set of winter wheels mounted with Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D tires. I have one tire that has to be replaced (low air pressure light came on - I filled with air and when I was finished I could hear the air rushing out of the tire). Needless to say the tire has to be replaced. The guy at the tire center assures me I can replace just one (the good tires have at least 80% treadlife remaining) but one website says they should only be in sets of 4. Which is correct?
If they have nearly full treadlife, you should be ok just replacing one. When you mix well-worn and new tires you can run into issues.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 03:39 PM   #3
Tom K.
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328iT, '13 Boxster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmellyGreek View Post
If they have nearly full treadlife, you should be ok just replacing one. When you mix well-worn and new tires you can run into issues.
+1, as long as it is the same make, model & size tire as the others.

Tom
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 08:54 AM   #4
Gary@TireRack
United_States
Rep
Drives: Formerly 1995 M3

Agree with the past two posts. If they are the same brand, size, and model of tire (and they really are at 80% depth) then you're fine with replacing just one tire.

Please refer to 'Gary/E90 Post' as your previous contact when you order online to help support this forum.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 03:33 PM   #5
ajfcpajd
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW 335is

Thank you all!
Appreciate 0