E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Dealership did golf tee mod for me??

02-11-2012, 09:16 AM   #1
skim7x
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i, C63 AMG

Garage List
2007 335i  [10.00]
Dealership did golf tee mod for me??

Took my car to dealer for wastegate rattle... Just checking out the bottom of my car and look what i found... I'm the sole owner and driver of the car and i sure didn't do it lol
Attached Images

COBB ProTuned | AMS | CP-e | BMS | Quaife
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 09:23 AM   #2
yoiko
First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by skim7x
Took my car to dealer for wastegate rattle... Just checking out the bottom of my car and look what i found... I'm the sole owner and driver of the car and i sure didn't do it lol
Did that fix the wastegate rattle? Sounds better?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 09:25 AM   #3
Beemw335
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335i

Because the exhaust flap rattles, they were too cheap and or lazy to order a new muffler like they always do for a rattle(happened to me) so they did the golf tee mod....
I would personally complain because its still gonna rattle even if they did that...
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 09:53 AM   #4
Beemw335
Colonel
Rep

I was on my iphone before, now Im on the computer and wtf did they do, looks like the permanently fkd up your vaccum line? Did they cut it and sort of melt it to get a good fit?

You should definetly complain, and have they fix it for you, lets say you want to sell the car and the potential buyer doesnt want a car thats loud at cruise....have them fix it and do the mod yourself if you want it done, but for them to do this without your approval is fkd.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 10:00 AM   #5
matrix76
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i Black/Red

I would suspect you are out of warranty, if so this fix would be quite a money saver. If you do have a warranty, and this is covered, then I certainly would have them deal with it properly. Also, if warrantied, notify BMW NA. They could be very interested in how this was handled,

Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 10:34 AM   #6
1faste903series
Banned
Rep

Wow! Did Sanford and son work your car. Simple remove the plug or a zip tie to the line would have did the trick too.I would go back and flip on them and request a new muffler .
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 11:33 AM   #7
austin335i
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 2008 BMW 335ia

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1faste903series
Wow! Did Sanford and son work your car. Simple remove the plug or a zip tie to the line would have did the trick too.I would go back and flip on them and request a new muffler .
That'll probably get blamed on you if you elevate it to BMW NA. Pacific BMW in Glendale had my old 2007 335i for a month a few years ago trying to fix it. They agreed to pay my payment for the month and then reversed that comment and blamed me for modding my car. I had never touched it and its previous owner was the service manager at another BMW who CPO'd the car with broken ecu pins. He obviously had chipped it with a pinout tune. So BMW NA was on the case and the end result was me almost losing the 70k of remaining warranty. Traded it in after only 10 months for a $4600 loss.

Don't mess with them if you don't have to (BMW NA) if there is any way they can turn it back on you. General rule of thumb for me, personally.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 03:44 PM   #8
Juiced46
Major
Rep
Drives: 03 Turbo Cobra, 2011 335xi

Thats been like that for a while. They didnt just do that. See the rust on the actuator valve nipple?

Also they didnt damage the vacuum line, they just put a screw in it to keep it from leaking, the same as if you zip tied it or shoved something else in there.

Is your car out of warranty?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 03:48 PM   #9
Beemw335
Colonel
Rep

^^ thats true, the rust lol disnt even notice that.
But the rubber tube looks weird where te screw goes in, looks like they cut it shorter aswell, unless they tucked some of it inside the fender..
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 03:48 PM   #10
bimmertt
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced46 View Post
Thats been like that for a while. They didnt just do that. See the rust on the actuator valve nipple?

Also they didnt damage the vacuum line, they just put a screw in it to keep it from leaking, the same as if you zip tied it or shoved something else in there.

This.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 03:55 PM   #11
Juiced46
Major
Rep

Doesnt look cut, they just pushed it back so it didnt hang. It looks weird cause it is wet. You can see the water ont he vacuum line, screw, clip and the other screws.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 04:03 PM   #12
Beemw335
Colonel
Rep

I highly doubt the dealership would have done this honestly.
Dealerships make money on servicing cars, they would never make the car function any other way than original, it really surprises me that they would do that over just getting a new muffler.(Its actually really common at my dealer to replace the left muffler, my sa said almost all 335s that come in rattle a bit, they fixed mine without me even mentioning the rattle)
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 04:14 PM   #13
bimmertt
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beemw335 View Post
Dealerships make money on servicing cars, they would never make the car function any other way than original, it really surprises me that they would do that over just getting a new muffler.(Its actually really common at my dealer to replace the left muffler, my sa said almost all 335s that come in rattle a bit, they fixed mine without me even mentioning the rattle)
Are you saying there is some mod bandit going around performing the golf tee mod on our BMWs?

Doesn't surprise me one bit that the dealer did this. What's cheaper, doing this mod or replacing the left muffler? I'm not sure how they would even replace just the left muffler considering the entire exhaust from downpipes back is one single unit. They would have to cut and weld and I sure as hell wouldn't want them doing that.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 05:08 PM   #14
Wisco_xi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 Bmw 335xi

02-11-2012, 05:51 PM   #15
bulldog_yyc
Major General
Rep
Drives: GT3RS

sneaky bastards
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 06:21 PM   #16
skim7x
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i, C63 AMG

Garage List
2007 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by yoiko View Post
Did that fix the wastegate rattle? Sounds better?
It doesn't affect the wastegate rattle... but it does make the exhaust flap rattle better (if not completely resolved). Previously, I just did the version of the Golf Tee Mod where you unplug the wires in the trunk... never messed with the actual vacuum line because I only do mods that are completely reversible... and the electrical disconnect was easier, in my opinion...

Quote:
I was on my iphone before, now Im on the computer and wtf did they do, looks like the permanently fkd up your vaccum line? Did they cut it and sort of melt it to get a good fit?
Yeah the picture isn't that great now that I look at it on the computer... they basically put a screw into the vacuum line and then zip tied it to secure the screw.

Quote:

Yeah that's true... I didn't even think about that... but since I never looked under the car for the golf-tee mod, I have no clue when that was done. Wonder when it was done lol... and yes, I am out of warranty about 9 months

Quote:
Yeah... you wouldn't think so, but I can tell you that it wasn't me, 100%... the only other person who has touched the car is the BMW dealership... lol... crazy...

COBB ProTuned | AMS | CP-e | BMS | Quaife
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 04:24 PM   #17
A4rings
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 07 Space 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmertt View Post
Are you saying there is some mod bandit going around performing the golf tee mod on our BMWs?

Doesn't surprise me one bit that the dealer did this. What's cheaper, doing this mod or replacing the left muffler? I'm not sure how they would even replace just the left muffler considering the entire exhaust from downpipes back is one single unit. They would have to cut and weld and I sure as hell wouldn't want them doing that.
you do realize that BMW pays for the parts and not the specific dealer right?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 04:49 PM   #18
boostaholic786
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 N54 with MHD Custom flash

If you are in warranty BMW pays for the parts and the labor for fixing/servicing the car. Of course there is a different labor rate per hour for warranty claims compared to customer pay claims, but the tech still gets paid regardless. Now if your out of warranty then its soly up to the dealership and customer to come to an agreement on how much whatever your fixing should cost. Now this doesnt include items such as recalls ect... BMW pays for that as well. But very akward that you have never noticed it before...Did they charge you anything? What did they say was done on the car to fix the noise you were hearing?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 04:50 PM   #19
Juiced46
Major
Rep

Quote:

Well considering the dealer gets PAID to fix cars, not put screws in a vacuum line doing this would COST the dealer money and waste time. They only get paid by replacing parts. Also, yes you can replace just the left muffler. Its very common and done all the time at the dealer. Its a simple cut and clamp fix. This is BMWs repair, has been for a long time and works quite well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skim7x View Post
It doesn't affect the wastegate rattle... but it does make the exhaust flap rattle better (if not completely resolved). Previously, I just did the version of the Golf Tee Mod where you unplug the wires in the trunk... never messed with the actual vacuum line because I only do mods that are completely reversible... and the electrical disconnect was easier, in my opinion...

Yeah the picture isn't that great now that I look at it on the computer... they basically put a screw into the vacuum line and then zip tied it to secure the screw.

Yeah that's true... I didn't even think about that... but since I never looked under the car for the golf-tee mod, I have no clue when that was done. Wonder when it was done lol... and yes, I am out of warranty about 9 months

Yeah... you wouldn't think so, but I can tell you that it wasn't me, 100%... the only other person who has touched the car is the BMW dealership... lol... crazy...

Did you own this car since brand new? Has it ever had an aftermarket catback on it?

Removing the vacuum line is completely reversible as well.

So what exactly was done @ the dealership visit? You said it was in for a wastegate rattle, but what was the actual repair according to your paper work? What made you look under the back of the car and check this line anyway?

Only thing I can see is if the dealership did do it, they plugged the line to isolate the noise and determine if it was a muffler flap rattle or wastegate rattle.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 05:20 PM   #20
bimmertt
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Well considering the dealer gets PAID to fix cars, not put screws in a vacuum line doing this would COST the dealer money and waste time. They only get paid by replacing parts. Also, yes you can replace just the left muffler. Its very common and done all the time at the dealer. Its a simple cut and clamp fix. This is BMWs repair, has been for a long time and works quite well.
Understood if the car is out of warranty because it is on the owners dime, but if the car is IN warranty, from my experience, dealers do not go the extra mile and do the proper repair. Examples, dealer telling me some wastegate rattle is normal or that some brake squeal is normal. According to your logic, my dealer should have replaced my turbos and brakes, but obviously that did not happen.

Either way, OP says he is the sole owner and he did not do it....so who are you thinking did this besides the dealer?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 05:26 PM   #21
Juiced46
Major
Rep

Quote:
Understood if the car is out of warranty because it is on the owners dime, but if the car is IN warranty, from my experience, dealers do not go the extra mile and do the proper repair. Examples, dealer telling me some wastegate rattle is normal or that some brake squeal is normal. According to your logic, my dealer should have replaced my turbos and brakes, but obviously that did not happen.
You are still wrong. BMWs WARRANTY repair for a muffler is cut and clamp. FACT.

Ok lets put this into perspective. Lets say your car is under warranty. You tell the dealer your muffler flap is rattling. You think they are going to waste their time by bringing the car in, looking at it, see its the muffler then shove a screw in the vacuum line? NO. Because BMW will not pay for this. If they put the muffler on, the parts department makes money, the service department makes $ on labor, and the tech gets paid. The tech doesnt get paid if he shoves a screw in there. FACT.

Some turbo rattle is normal, some is not depending on the severity, that is ultimately decided by BMW, not the dealer if the turbos should be replaced.

Brake squeel is normal under certain conditions as well. Would you like me to show you the SIB? I would be happy to. If you have a brake squeel due to the brake sensor contacting the rotor causing a squeek, there is a fix. If your pads are above 7.5mm in thickness and you have a slight squeel, it is 100% normal deemed by BMW, not the dealer.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 05:30 PM   #22
Juiced46
Major
Rep

Well not everything you read by people on forums is 100% fact, alot of people like to exaggerate, or point fingers at others, some just like to stir the pot. The OP may have installed it a while back and forgot? Maybe an aftermarket shop installed it? I see he has DPs installed. Who installed it? Maybe that shop did it when the did the DP install if the OP didnt do it himeself. What would make the OP look directly under the car in that spot, if he has never looked there before in all the vehicles life and find that then start blaming the dealer? There are a million of what ifs.

The only thing I can assume like I said, if the dealer installed that in there, they were trying to isolate between a wastegate rattle and muffler rattle and forgot to change it back.
Appreciate 0