E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Cold start idle issues

02-11-2012, 12:42 PM   #1
chaos1
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

Cold start idle issues

just wondering if there is a perma fix to this issue. Ive found thread upon thread regarding the cold start idle problem but never a clear answer as to what steps to take. Purchased my 2008 e90 328i sedan 3 weeks ago and since then have noticed that the idle on the car when starting it is rough. Ive felt the car shake once or twice along with a slight constant vibrating from the engine that can be felt from sitting in the drivers seat and took it into the dealer. Apparently they replaced a vanos solenoid but the problem still persists. Any advise on the known issue?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 12:58 PM   #2
cgy-jim
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335Xi, Special Edition

I've noticed this too - just a slight little wiggle a couple of times and then it smoothes out...not sure if I'm too concerned about it.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 01:11 PM   #3
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos1
just wondering if there is a perma fix to this issue. Ive found thread upon thread regarding the cold start idle problem but never a clear answer as to what steps to take. Purchased my 2008 e90 328i sedan 3 weeks ago and since then have noticed that the idle on the car when starting it is rough. Ive felt the car shake once or twice along with a slight constant vibrating from the engine that can be felt from sitting in the drivers seat and took it into the dealer. Apparently they replaced a vanos solenoid but the problem still persists. Any advise on the known issue?
Try chevron techron fuel injector cleaner. It resolved my rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up problem.
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 06:43 PM   #4
mike3000fl
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Could be anything from motor mounts, to the classic fuel-air-spark.

Buy top quality fuel and run techron like suggested, replace the air filter (not microfilter) and clean the MAF if you are brave, how many miles are on the plugs?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 06:46 AM   #5
chaos1
Rep
Drives: 2008 328i

going to try to fuel injector cleaner this weekend when the weather gets a little bit warmer. I just purchased the car with 57,000 kms on it. Just kinda odd that a car with low kms would even be experiencing idle problems. Apparently its a known issue. Im using 91 octane gas but thinking of bumping it up to 94 octane if that would help. As for cleaning the MAF ill just take it to my buddies shop. Any other suggestions? i heard things such as a leak in the intake manifold and the vanos solenoid replacement. The problem doesnt bother me a whole lot but i am worried that it might lead to more serious issues
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 06:51 AM   #6
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos1
going to try to fuel injector cleaner this weekend when the weather gets a little bit warmer. I just purchased the car with 57,000 kms on it. Just kinda odd that a car with low kms would even be experiencing idle problems. Apparently its a known issue. Im using 91 octane gas but thinking of bumping it up to 94 octane if that would help. As for cleaning the MAF ill just take it to my buddies shop. Any other suggestions? i heard things such as a leak in the intake manifold and the vanos solenoid replacement. The problem doesnt bother me a whole lot but i am worried that it might lead to more serious issues
The reason behind fuel injector cleaner is that the fuel filter (expensive to replace) is dirty which gets the injectors dirty. Too bad BMW didn't keep the e46 design. Fuel filter was easy to replace and was the size of your forearm. Even when I replaced that one, black junk came out of it.
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0