E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Installed ACT 335i only race clutch on 335xi

02-11-2012, 01:55 PM   #1
Wisco_xi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2007 Bmw 335xi

Installed ACT 335i only race clutch on 335xi

Bmw 335i 6 puck race clutch on 335 xi= **** stars

I was asked by a few member including ACT, to post a few months after the install so here it goes.

Shortly after installing my mods my clutch began to slip, so i started shopping for another clutch, and at the time there was only a couple options for the XI and they were really expensive. So i called ACt to see why they don't have one specific for the Xi models. they told me they are working on it, but they did say someone else had ran the i setup in there xi.so i said what the hell. I bought the 335i act clutch kit. when buying it i was told everything was there. there wasn't a release bearing that made me mad but the BMW dealer is very close so i went and picked one up $75.00. got all i needed and installed the clutch all went very smooth.A little nervous because of its hard engaging reputation I bought the 6 puck race clutch thinking its gonna slam into gear every time but it doesnt its a great daily driver its been about 10,000 miles since i installed the clutch and i love it. grabs hard and strong. the only problem i get a streak sound when ever i release the clutch with out rev matching my down shifts... anyone know what it could Be? my buddy has an sti with a 6 puck and does the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 02:03 PM   #2
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

that sound is typical with a 6 puck ceramic...planning on any racing with it soon or just daily driving?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 02:13 PM   #3
Carl Morris
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi 6MT

Thanks for posting this. I drove many years on an ACT race disk (unsprung hub) on my Mitsu and was very happy with it even though people who hadn't used one themselves told me I would hate it. Just wondered if the same thing applies to BMW and it sounds like it does.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 02:31 PM   #4
Wisco_xi
Private First Class
Rep

I love the clutch i drive it every day. i was told id hate it because of the harsh engagement and noise etc. i was skeptical at first but now that i have it. i love it. it is a little harsher but i like it. makes the car feel strong if you get what im saying. I live in Wisconsin and we have plenty snow and my tires dont even slip when i first engage my clutch in 1st gear. kind of prooving its not that (harsh).

And for racing id love to.closest track is 4 hours away. so its kind of hard. but i went with the race clutch because i knew if it came to wanting to race it.i would be covered in that department.
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 03:58 PM   #5
achien
AC
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 Post Members Crazy

you are lucky you only get a "streak" sound when you down-shift without rev-match.

do it often enough and you will wear your new clutch too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisco_xi View Post
Bmw 335i 6 puck race clutch on 335 xi= **** stars

I was asked by a few member including ACT, to post a few months after the install so here it goes.

Shortly after installing my mods my clutch began to slip, so i started shopping for another clutch, and at the time there was only a couple options for the XI and they were really expensive. So i called ACt to see why they don't have one specific for the Xi models. they told me they are working on it, but they did say someone else had ran the i setup in there xi.so i said what the hell. I bought the 335i act clutch kit. when buying it i was told everything was there. there wasn't a release bearing that made me mad but the BMW dealer is very close so i went and picked one up $75.00. got all i needed and installed the clutch all went very smooth.A little nervous because of its hard engaging reputation I bought the 6 puck race clutch thinking its gonna slam into gear every time but it doesnt its a great daily driver its been about 10,000 miles since i installed the clutch and i love it. grabs hard and strong. the only problem i get a streak sound when ever i release the clutch with out rev matching my down shifts... anyone know what it could Be? my buddy has an sti with a 6 puck and does the same thing.
      02-11-2012, 03:59 PM   #6
tscdennab
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW  [6.24]
This is great news. I read about one failure on this forum but it may have been because of unresurfaced flywheel. And also read about someone "hating it". I wonder what is this clutch disk life compared to the ACT organic disc ?
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 04:00 PM   #7
Wisco_xi
Private First Class
Rep

I very very rarely do it. ive put 10k on the clutch and only did it a few times mainly to figure out what it could be. and to let future people know what to expect. but thanks for the heads up. dont feel like installing another clutch.
      02-11-2012, 04:05 PM   #8
Wisco_xi
Private First Class
Rep

Tscdennab: i know what your saying, i was very skeptical at first with reading about past experiences. but im glad i went with it. no problems yet 10 k in and i love the (clamp force of the clutch). ill try to keep posted on the life of it and any other problems. one of Act's sales reps contacted me a little while back to see how there I clutch is holding up in the xi. since they, yet to have a clutch kit for it.
      02-11-2012, 04:28 PM   #9
stratos_335
First Lieutenant
Rep

As I mentioned on a previous thread, 6-puck clutch disk is not that bad as everyone expects to be. Seriously, some people already hate it and have opinion without even testing it.

There is harsh engagement when the car is cold but it disappears after a few minutes and feels like the ACT organic clutch.

There are no streaking noise at all although I didn't try rev matching on downshifting.

After last night runs with my friend's non meth FBO 335, the clutch slips so much and I can hear the pivot bearing on idle. Maybe next week I'll install the 6-puck. I hoped me stock clutch could make it until summer but there is no chance....
Appreciate 0
      02-11-2012, 05:07 PM   #10
Wisco_xi
Private First Class
Rep

stratos: wait so your saying you don't rev match on down shifts?
achin: your saying it is bad not to rev match on downshifts?

What is it?
      02-12-2012, 06:06 AM   #11
stratos_335
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisco_xi View Post
stratos: wait so your saying you don't rev match on down shifts?
achin: your saying it is bad not to rev match on downshifts?

What is it?
I ALWAYS rev match mt car while downshifting for many reasons. I just didn't do it on my friend's car because 1) it was not my car, 2) I just performed a 2-3-4 gear pull and some drive around at low speeds to feel the engagement.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 10:04 AM   #12
Figure807
Power without control is no power at all...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i 6spd Blk/Blk

If you drive aggressively (street, road course, gymkhana, autox, or other) you should always rev match in order to preserve your drivetrain, especially your clutch and synchros. I rev-match every downshift, even on the street, a habit from my days of driving RWD Corollas, but that's not for this thread . . .

Case in point, a few months ago I did 13 laps at the Nuerburgring in my 335i (JB4, DCI, Blizzak RFT). I noticed no fade from my stock clutch after driving lap after lap. However, I have a buddy who is a "smoother" driver than me that hasn't learned to rev-match or double clutch (he basically rides the clutch for silky smooth engagement). I let him drive my car for 2 laps and afterwards I felt like I just put another 40k miles on my clutch! It wasn't so bad that it needed to be replaced, but I can feel little slips now when I do some aggressive shifting.
1987 Toyota Corolla GTS 5MT KAAZ 2-way Blk / Blk *Sold
Appreciate 0