BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

02-11-2012, 02:00 PM   #1
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, i3 & track built Astra OPC

Braided brake lines, brake fluid recommendation(s)?

I have a set of braided brake lines which I am soon to fit front & rear, what's people recommendation on brake fluid (dot5.1) to run for fast road use and while I am at it uprated front pads?
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 04:05 AM   #2
VO 1M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_in_London View Post
I have a set of braided brake lines which I am soon to fit front & rear, what's people recommendation on brake fluid (dot5.1) to run for fast road use and while I am at it uprated front pads?
for fast road driving 5.1 is not needed. Take Castrol SRF, more then good enough, even for track use. I used the original fluid on the ring last year and had no fading what so ever. I will switch to SRF for this year though. Brake lines I will most probably keep stock.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 04:34 AM   #3
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks mate, I will be doing a few runs to the ring but that's as far as the track work will go in the 1M ,so mostly fast road. I run Castrol React SRF Racing in my track car but thats running Alcon 6 pots matched with Ferodo DS3000 pads, so I was under the impression the SRF fluid was more competition rated? Maybe Castrol React Performance dot4 is more suited to my needs, as for the braided lines, i was given a set after helping them out with sizing/measurements so a waste not to fit when they where dropped in my boot.....
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 05:25 AM   #4
VO 1M
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie_in_London View Post
Thanks mate, I will be doing a few runs to the ring but that's as far as the track work will go in the 1M ,so mostly fast road. I run Castrol React SRF Racing in my track car but thats running Alcon 6 pots matched with Ferodo DS3000 pads, so I was under the impression the SRF fluid was more competition rated? Maybe Castrol React Performance dot4 is more suited to my needs, as for the braided lines, i was given a set after helping them out with sizing/measurements so a waste not to fit when they where dropped in my boot.....
SRF is very good and works with the standard brakes. I had it in my Z4M as well and as mentioned I will put it in the 1M as well. You just have to swap it every year, that is the only disadvantage. Castrol React Performance dot4 will probably work as well, I never used it myself.
Anyway, if you swap the brake lines and are willing to change the fluid, just put in the SRF. It will cost you a few bucks more, but then you are done. You never know, maybe you end up on a track this summer
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2012, 11:56 AM   #5
Aussie_in_London
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep

Thanks for the advise mate, and you just never know
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 12:27 PM   #6
Amnizu
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 502 of 740

Really depends on your maintenance thresholds. I tend to always run Motul 600 if I'm going to track the car. Nothing more annoying that boiling the fluid the first run out and having to slow down the rest of the day.

Otherwise, just run an upgrade street pad and OE fluid. You should be fine.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 02:47 PM   #7
NYC6
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 135i PPKI/06 C6 Z51 Vette

I also use Motul RBF600, in my Corvette. Never have an issue with brake fade even with much heavy, repeated braking. The almost 600*F dry boing point is welcomed when a tight turn comes up at the end of a long straight.
Appreciate 0