02-12-2012, 03:23 PM   #1
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

MOG

Anyone using MOG's $9.99/month service?

After testing Pandora and Slacker I signed up for the 2 week trial with MOG and have been very impressed with the music selection and the quality.

The BMW integration is beautiful and almost better than the iPhone/iPod interface. All the steering wheel controls work well.

I'll probably sign up when the trial expires.
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2012, 10:06 PM   #2
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M/2021 992/2023 X3

The interface is horrific, but the music sounds good (sooo much better than SAT). I can't wait for Spotify.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 07:04 AM   #3
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
The interface is horrific, but the music sounds good (sooo much better than SAT). I can't wait for Spotify.
On the iDrive screen? I disagree. It's as good as the interface with the iOS devices.

After sampling Pandora plus, Slacker, Spotify and MOG, I've concluded that MOG is the best fit for my needs. Most reviews out there agree.

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/co...Spotify-Part-I

http://www.forbes.com/sites/frederic...blows-it-away/

I think the US fascination with Spotify has something to do its 'forbidden fruit' status over the past few years. While we've been all salivating about the prospect of getting something the Europeans have, the homegrown alternatives have actually surpassed it in most areas.

But ... each to his own.
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 08:03 AM   #4
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by b33g33 View Post
On the iDrive screen? I disagree. It's as good as the interface with the iOS devices.
Yowsa - we must have different interfaces! Heck, it is not only the interface that lacks, but the entire MOG operation. I got stuck with Xmas music for the last 4 weeks because without RE-SEARCHING for what I was listening to each time I got in the car, my playlist always included the xmas music (worse, it started with it!). One of the keys was that I had downloaded it with MOG. I never found out how to address the issue, just had to delete every download on my iPhone (in MOG) to get rid of it.

I've used both and can honestly say, Spotify is sooo much better from the interface perspective (Computer here, since Spotify is not available on the BMW). However, if you REALLY want to see bad, try MOG on a ROKU. You can't even select the given song from the album! Your only choice is the play the album and skip forward or backward.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 08:46 AM   #5
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999 View Post
Yowsa - we must have different interfaces! Heck, it is not only the interface that lacks, but the entire MOG operation. I got stuck with Xmas music for the last 4 weeks because without RE-SEARCHING for what I was listening to each time I got in the car, my playlist always included the xmas music (worse, it started with it!). One of the keys was that I had downloaded it with MOG. I never found out how to address the issue, just had to delete every download on my iPhone (in MOG) to get rid of it.

I've used both and can honestly say, Spotify is sooo much better from the interface perspective (Computer here, since Spotify is not available on the BMW). However, if you REALLY want to see bad, try MOG on a ROKU. You can't even select the given song from the album! Your only choice is the play the album and skip forward or backward.
Sorry. I'm going to have to go with user error on this one. Also, please keep in mind that my OP specifically addresses MOG in the BMW via iDrive. Spotify may change the baby's diaper and burp it via the desktop app but this is irrelevant to me.

I have no issues with any of the things you mention. My playlists stay in place. I add/remove tracks/artists/albums how I like.

Like I said, different strokes. Spotify didn't fit my needs, glad it fits yours.

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 09:30 AM   #6
R53MT
R53MT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M

I think MOG is great and their technical assistance is available and very responsive.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 11:32 AM   #7
fabolous
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M coupe

MOG sucks

I was not impressed with MOG at all. I signed up for the $9.99 service and within a day they emailed me to offer me a free trial LOL. After using it in my 1M, on the iphone and desktop .... im going back to spotify. You cant even downgrade your MOG service, you have to email customer service and they can schedule to have it cancelled - which involves deleting your account

I will go back to spotify as its better to me in every aspect.

The biggest deal for me what streaming on my phone over the network was basically flawless on spotify where MOG continually stuttered.
08 RS4 Phantom black w/ exclusive*sold*
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 11:55 AM   #8
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
Since this discussion seems to bring in other options (Pandora, Spotify, etc.) a question for you lads - you don't find BMW Apps' Web Radio of value? I find myself listening to it virtually all the time, have a bunch of favorite Euro stations that play awesome music with close to zero interruption. I don't spent hours in my car so perhaps that's why it is sufficient for my needs (I literally stopped listening for Sirius even though I have it). Quality is pretty good so found that to satisfy my audio needs for the hour or so a day I am in the car.
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 12:20 PM   #9
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M1 View Post
Since this discussion seems to bring in other options (Pandora, Spotify, etc.) a question for you lads - you don't find BMW Apps' Web Radio of value? I find myself listening to it virtually all the time, have a bunch of favorite Euro stations that play awesome music with close to zero interruption. I don't spent hours in my car so perhaps that's why it is sufficient for my needs (I literally stopped listening for Sirius even though I have it). Quality is pretty good so found that to satisfy my audio needs for the hour or so a day I am in the car.
Web radio is excellent. I visit Germany and Austria quite a bit to be w/ the GF's family so it's nice listening to the stations like "Bayern Drei".

Honestly, the wealth of choices on web radio is almost overwhelming.

What I like about the paid music streaming apps like MOG and Spotify is how you can find all the latest music without having to buy it on iTunes/Amazon/etc. or spending time torrenting it.

To me, MOG is like NetFlix and Amazon Prime. I no longer buy/rent video content and instead rely on the cloud based services to find what I want. I canceled my Cable about a year ago and can honestly say I don't miss it. Down here in Atlanta, I have really good 3G reception on AT&T and I never have issues with streaming music. Being grandfathered into an unlimited data plan also reduces consumption anxiety.

Maybe the reason some people are seeing better streaming on Spotify is because 90% their catalog is still at 160kbps while MOG is all 320kbs. I think Spotify is updating to 320. If you have bad cell reception, then MOG may stream worse.

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 12:28 PM   #10
silvs
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M VO

I tried MOG and found the interface atrocious. It took me quite a long time to even figure out how to sign up. And this is from someone who develops mobile apps. And what's up with requiring me to login via Facebook?

Pandora is much easier and cleaner to use. Maybe I'll try spotify when they have a BMW App.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 12:49 PM   #11
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvs View Post
I tried MOG and found the interface atrocious. It took me quite a long time to even figure out how to sign up. And this is from someone who develops mobile apps. And what's up with requiring me to login via Facebook?

Pandora is much easier and cleaner to use. Maybe I'll try spotify when they have a BMW App.
I currently manage Mobile App production for a fortune 100 company and have done some development myself. It took me about 5 minutes to figure out the MOG interface.

The MOG interface could be better on iOS but it's in no way 'atrocious' and compares well to similar services like Spotify, Slacker or RDIO. I don't consider Pandora+ to be in the same space because it lacks many key features like the ability to download tracks/albums, create an Artist only station and unlimited song skips.

You don't have to login via facebook. It's also easy enough to find the 2-week trial offer if you do a simple search.

Please note that my comments here refer primarily to the App interface via iDrive. I'm not commenting on the desktop or Mobile Apps.

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 05:16 PM   #12
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep

b33g33 - the fact is, you are probably smarter than me

In all seriousness, I was just commenting to a moderator on another car board about how civilized the BMW boards are (at least to me). I pointed to him to this thread. We disagree and we understand that is what it is. There are no personal comments going each way dragging this down. I love Bimmerpost!

and b33g33 I wasn't kidding - I'm going to PM you for help
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 06:23 PM   #13
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug_999
b33g33 - the fact is, you are probably smarter than me

In all seriousness, I was just commenting to a moderator on another car board about how civilized the BMW boards are (at least to me). I pointed to him to this thread. We disagree and we understand that is what it is. There are no personal comments going each way dragging this down. I love Bimmerpost!

and b33g33 I wasn't kidding - I'm going to PM you for help
Happy to help and look forward to the PM.

After I wrote "user error" I realized I should have said "user/device" error. Sometimes these phones just misbehave for no reason. Mind tends to drop the BT pairing with the car every few days for no reason. No amount of triage has isolated the conditions and I've resigned myself to just re-pairing it when needed.

Glad you didn't take my post the wrong way.

Cheers.

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 09:30 PM   #14
silvs
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M VO

Quote:
I currently manage Mobile App production for a fortune 100 company and have done some development myself. It took me about 5 minutes to figure out the MOG interface.

The MOG interface could be better on iOS but it's in no way 'atrocious' and compares well to similar services like Spotify, Slacker or RDIO. I don't consider Pandora+ to be in the same space because it lacks many key features like the ability to download tracks/albums, create an Artist only station and unlimited song skips.

You don't have to login via facebook. It's also easy enough to find the 2-week trial offer if you do a simple search.

Please note that my comments here refer primarily to the App interface via iDrive. I'm not commenting on the desktop or Mobile Apps.
It DOES require Facebook. Apparently there was a time when it did not. That time is no longer. http://feedback.mog.com/forums/50607...-sign-up-for-m

Look at page 4 for a comment from the product lead.

Fact is, I never even got around to trying the BMW app interface. I was so frustrated setting it up, that when I found the mobile app itself required a paid account I was done. If there is some hidden way to get a free trial of this, I didn't try it.

The first 15 minutes of using MOG is very poor. I can't imagine how many potential customers they lose during the account setup and initial use. I wonder if they even record stats on this.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 09:44 PM   #15
bueller
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 EB F31 2018 LG F80

Garage List
MOG Experience

Their Facebook login is super annoying... You have to sign up for their 'Primo' account then find the registration email they sent in order to use the mobile app, really confusing the whole thing.

Music actually sounds good, their interface is a little confusing and not very intuitive, I guess it is consistent with their account creation / login methodologies.

I would pay $10 per month before I would pay for Satellite radio, which in my opinion is complete crap, why the F do they have DJs? If I wanted to listen to sombody yammer on about nothing, I would listen to FM radio.

Having the ability to use the streaming radio with BMW Apps, as well as the hard drive and my iPhone, I think I will probably be saving my $10 / month.

B
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2012, 09:53 PM   #16
bueller
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 EB F31 2018 LG F80

Garage List
Non Facebook Signup

Not that it is obvious, but you can bypass the Facebook signup by going to

http://mog.com/user/register

They really want you to sign up using your Facebook account. Theer is probably some kind of marketing or data mining reason to have access to your Facebook account.

Lame in my opinion, MOG is not a bad service, but after the fiasco I had getting everything working because MOG has some agenda other than siging up users, I will probably not continue with the service.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 09:23 AM   #17
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep

1. You can register without FB. It takes an extra click. I have not logged into my FB account for over 2 years and have no plans of supplying them with any information they can sell/pawn to the highest bidder.

2. It takes a simple google search to find the trial offer. Now you don't even have to do that: http://mog.com/promos/trial_info

I'm probably starting to sound like a shill for MOG or the music industry so I'll stop.

I like the service and feel that it's worth the $10/month so I thought I would share. As always, you should make up your own minds.

Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 10:23 AM   #18
doug_999
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
I'm probably starting to sound like a shill for MOG or the music industry so I'll stop.
I think it is clear you work for them

j/k
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2012, 01:08 PM   #19
fabolous
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M coupe

I was trying to limit my input on just the app and interface on the iDrive. Honestly i think their website is also atrocious, BTW.

I do like the web radio through BMW connected, 10x more than MOG. Its good that we have lots of audio options(web radio, HD radio, ipod, pandora and sirius) so im not terribly upset that MOG is so bad to me.
08 RS4 Phantom black w/ exclusive*sold*
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2012, 09:46 AM   #20
uofmtiger
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

I switched to MOG a while back, so I never had to deal with Facebook. I find the MOG desktop app for Mac works great, but I don't think they offer a Windows version at this time, so you have to deal with accessing the web. I think Chrome works the best with MOG for PC.

The reason I prefer it to Spotify is pretty simple. Spotify did not offer 320kbps streaming over wifi to the iPhone. I like to use my iPhone with Airplay to send audio to different areas of the house, so I want the best quality. Also, if I just want to stream directly to the iPhone and listen over headphones, MOG offers better quality.

I have one issue with the BMW integration of MOG. It should be integrated into BMW Apps, but you can't have Apps and MOG running at the same time. Not really a big deal since I have SiriusXM, but if I don't subscribe next year, it would have been nice to easily flip back and forth to web radio. Other than that, I like the way it works on Nav.

Last edited by uofmtiger; 02-21-2012 at 10:27 AM..
Appreciate 0