E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Drive by wire = E90 not obeying my foot !

10-29-2005, 02:23 AM   #1
skimo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 vert Dinan II

Drive by wire = E90 not obeying my foot !

Pulled out of work after parking under hot texas sun the other day. At the first light I was playing around with the throttle, I was trying to keep the RPM constant at 2k...IMPOSSIBLE !!

I push the throttle till it goes to 2k, without moving my foot the RPM would go down in obvious steps to say 1.5k then go back up...then go down...like my E90 was -->

Lets play another game: keep the RPM at 3k. same deal, the RPM kept changing alone even though my foot was constant not moving ! I wished I took a video (from phone) of the rpm...it clearly was jumping back n forth in increments of 100 rpm or so...

HONK HONK! My light turned green, but I was just too busy playing footsy with my E90...

This could explain why I can never learn how to get a smooth shift on this car !! The car is not obeying my feet !! CDV, Drive-by-wire...soon they will have "allow me to press the brakes for you"

(still love my car though )

Skimo
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2005, 02:30 AM   #2
Xens
Eh
Rep
Drives: Is Turbo'd

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by skimo
Pulled out of work after parking under hot texas sun the other day. At the first light I was playing around with the throttle, I was trying to keep the RPM constant at 2k...IMPOSSIBLE !!

I push the throttle till it goes to 2k, without moving my foot the RPM would go down in obvious steps to say 1.5k then go back up...then go down...like my E90 was -->

Lets play another game: keep the RPM at 3k. same deal, the RPM kept changing alone even though my foot was constant not moving ! I wished I took a video (from phone) of the rpm...it clearly was jumping back n forth in increments of 100 rpm or so...

HONK HONK! My light turned green, but I was just too busy playing footsy with my E90...

This could explain why I can never learn how to get a smooth shift on this car !! The car is not obeying my feet !! CDV, Drive-by-wire...soon they will have "allow me to press the brakes for you"

(still love my car though )

Skimo
Interesting ......... although I have to say, I decided to screw trying to get smooth shifts and just drive without thinking, and I'm actually shifting really smoothly now.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2005, 03:07 AM   #3
E90Fleet
Lieutenant General
South Africa
Rep
Drives: BMW

You know thats very bad for your engine ( revving it witout a load )

System probably doesnt like it since your wheels arnt moving
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2005, 04:19 AM   #4
puck724
COLTS 4 LIFE!!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
could someone explain drive by wire?
      10-29-2005, 05:10 AM   #5
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
puck724, these articles will help you understand.

http://www.pitt.edu/~tas36/interesting%20event.html
http://www.worldwidewords.org/turnsofphrase/tp-dri1.htm

Basically, technology is being more and more adapted to our daily experiences.
Its doing the work while we don't even know when/how its done.

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2005, 09:30 AM   #6
tiga901
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e90 330i, mt pp sp

Moral of the story, learn how to drive a stick!!! Seriously, the rpm variation is normal. It's an auto adjustment by your ECU to the load.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2005, 09:47 AM   #7
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

The drive by wire is not designed to keep revs even, it is based on engine load and speed essentially. It is much smoother than in previous cars that would launch off the line.
It is designed to maximize the efficiency of the engine based upon the load presented without the need to adjust the pedal. So by the RPM's dropping off this is the computer doing what it is supposed to do, There is no load so it drops the engine a little to get the best fuel efficiency for the work required. It can not completely over ride your foot obviously other wise it would just remain at idle.

The E90 is much more responsive than others I have driven IMHO.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2005, 10:10 AM   #8
maq
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: MTA Monthly Pass

I don't think uneven rpm is caused by DBW. But speaking of DBW, I find it to be really annoying, and it's one of the main reasons that've been keeping me away from the newer BMWs. Although in the E90 it's been improved a lot compared to the early E46s terrible throttle response (even the later ones and M3 kinda suck), I still find it doesn't "blip" too well. You just don't get that instant, super responsive revving that a non-DBW gives you.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2005, 10:52 AM   #9
ben1364
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 330iA

maq wrote in part, "...it doesn't "blip" too well. You just don't get that instant, super responsive revving that a non-DBW gives you"
__________________________________________________ _
"blip"? I thought that was reserved for Harley Davidson riders to show off their mega buck LOUD exhausts? <g>

Last edited by ben1364; 10-29-2005 at 10:53 AM.. Reason: addition
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2005, 11:23 AM   #10
maq
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: MTA Monthly Pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben1364
maq wrote in part, "...it doesn't "blip" too well. You just don't get that instant, super responsive revving that a non-DBW gives you"
__________________________________________________ _
"blip"? I thought that was reserved for Harley Davidson riders to show off their mega buck LOUD exhausts? <g>
By "blip", I meant the process of blipping the throttle (or in other words, quickly tap on the gas pedal) when rev-matching between gears. But yea, the Harley guys probably do it more than us Bimmerheads. And when they do it, everyone within a mile or 2 will hear it...
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2005, 12:47 PM   #11
blueStreak
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 550i

Quote:
Originally Posted by puck724
could someone explain drive by wire?
DBW = you are no longer in direct control of the throttle. Instead, you are just one of many inputs that the computer uses to determine the best throttle position. Personally, I think it sucks. For the general population, it's probably a great thing.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2005, 01:43 PM   #12
puck724
COLTS 4 LIFE!!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [0.00]
thanks guys. ive heard of it before but never found out what it was..haha.

lux.sh- thanks for the articles.
      10-30-2005, 04:05 PM   #13
skimo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335 vert Dinan II

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90Fleet
You know thats very bad for your engine ( revving it witout a load )

System probably doesnt like it since your wheels arnt moving
thanks for the tip!! I was not aware of this... Ill keep that in mind
skimo
Appreciate 0