CrazyObbe
Rep
Drives: None

BMW 1M options?

Hello!

I am looking into buying a BMW 1M.
Which options is a must have?

Color.
First I thought black, but I´ve had a few black and silver cars so maybe white, but I´ve seen the valencia orangea twice now at my local dealer and I really like it.
Think I would go for the valencia orangea.

Which other options do i need to order?

I´ve seen some "bmw performance seats", is that bmw original or aftermarket?

I live in sweden if that does matter.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 07:38 PM   #2
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

Lucky you for having the option of performance seats. Those are made by recaro for BMW, and they are considered BMW equipment since they can be ordered through the dealers outside the US.

I recommend valencia orange, but then again, I am biased because that is the color I chose.

In terms of options, I got it fully loaded with the exception of Satellite radio. This car is my daily driver (not a dedicated track car) so I like the amenities that it has to offer when fully optioned out. This way, I have a car I can take to the track, and also fully enjoy on a day to day basis.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 08:47 PM   #3
silvs
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M VO

Mine is fully ordered, although to be honest I regret the nav system. I plan on keeping this car until it will not go forward, so am concerned about how well the display will age.

The rest of the care is timeless.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 09:31 PM   #4
MB38
[insert witty title here]
Rep
Drives: '97 Supra TT, '11 1M

Where are you going to find a 1M?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 10:33 PM   #5
Ky1M
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Black Z3-M///Coupe ,AW1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB38
Where are you going to find a 1M?
I'd say he is in Sweden and will be able to order a 2012
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2012, 11:33 PM   #6
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

None!

No options, take it as light and pure as possible.

The 1M was a direct response to bloated M cars that had gotten too soft and too heavy. So what are 90% of 1M buyers getting? Fully loaded, bloated 1Ms with heavy power seats, motorized mirrors, hard drives, NAV screens, etc, etc. The car is at its best in its purest and lightest form.

Color is a personal choice. I find the Black to be the best looking on the car. It harmonizes the slits and the bulges look beautiful. I got white because I live in a hot climate and it is a daily driver with small kids in the back seat. Orange is beautiful but every new car out there in 2011 and 2012 has the same Orange color...Dodge, Kia, Scion, Hyundai all have some version of the Orange.

People will try to throw out resale value but they have it backwards. It's true that you will get a higher price used but it's only a percentage of what you pay. So you pay 6000 Euros and end up with an extra 2000 Euros. It doesn't make sense to spend that money to get a percentage back UNLESS you actually love all the gadgets. In that case, get what you want.

Finally, if you look at E46 M3 Market and even the E90 market, you will find that most of the cars are loaded. The special cars are the low option, lighter weight cars. Look at the postings, you will find ads that have been around for months looking for sunroof delete, no NAV M3 Competition Package cars, not for fully loaded luxo-boxes... those are dime a dozen.

Good luck, I know the choices are tough. I agonized on color for a long time.

Best wishes.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 12:51 AM   #7
CrazyObbe
Rep
Drives: None

Thanks everyone for your input!

MB38. If I buy it will be a 2012 bought in Sweden.

I will have to think
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 06:51 AM   #8
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Golf R

2012, get DCT and the sunroof.
      02-18-2012, 09:10 AM   #9
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Parker View Post
in blue.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 09:48 AM   #10
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozinaldo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Parker View Post
in blue.
And what with the flux capacitor option!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 11:23 AM   #11
Slats
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M & 1997 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SerieStud View Post
And what with the flux capacitor option!
Additionally, as rumor has it the BMW design department has been monitoring this board, I think you can now order a 1M with all the needless carbon fiber components you need to vandalize your ride into as stunning an example of looky-there as possible.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 11:34 AM   #12
Funindubai
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: BMW 1M

I have had mine delivered with satnav, Hartman kardon, sport electric seats, dual control ac, in black and many other little creature comforts. I love the options. You could track this and have all the fun you will ever need. If you want to feel the diff with 100kg less then buy a proper race car.

I say spec it up and enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 12:12 PM   #13
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

Get everything but the Sat radio.

You will really kick yourself later if you don't have the option to use BMW Apps.

Unless, of course, you're trying to beat Horts' 'ring time and you need every advantage you can get.

The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 12:40 PM   #14
-Z-
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Black Pyrat

yeh, it cracks me up when people order a fully loaded car, that's probably 200 pounds heavier that base stock, and then trying to "save" 20-40 pounds using mods that are $1000-$3000 per mod.

I got mine in pure form, just HK/BT/iPod upgrade, even though I now regret I spent $750 for HK ( stock sound is OK ), should've saved up for the dreaded "akra", it sounds sooo good, but costs a fortune

P.S.
I've to correct myself, I've always considered NAV to be a useless option on any car, and will be outdated before you drive off the lot, BT/Ipod interface though is a must to have.

P.S.S.
I also don't like how the NAV looks on the 1 series. If it was standard, I would probably opted for NAV Delete option if I had one

Last edited by -Z-; 02-18-2012 at 12:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 12:49 PM   #15
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

I forgot theist important part! If you are tall, the manual seats give you more headroom. About 3 cm more. Keep that mind too. There were a few complaints about seats being too high. I recently autocrossed mine with a helmet and it was a snug fit. If I didn't have the 3 cm, helmet would be touching headliner for me. Most of my Swedish friends, are taller than me. Try both seats if you are tall!

Last edited by nachob; 02-18-2012 at 06:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 02:34 PM   #16
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
None!

The 1M was a direct response to bloated M cars that had gotten too soft and too heavy. So what are 90% of 1M buyers getting? Fully loaded, bloated 1Ms with heavy power seats, motorized mirrors, hard drives, NAV screens, etc, etc. The car is at its best in its purest and lightest form.

Color is a personal choice. I find the Black to be the best looking on the car. It harmonizes the slits and the bulges look beautiful. I got white because I live in a hot climate and it is a daily driver with small kids in the back seat. Orange is beautiful but every new car out there in 2011 and 2012 has the same Orange color...Dodge, Kia, Scion, Hyundai all have some version of the Orange.

People will try to throw out resale value but they have it backwards. It's true that you will get a higher price used but it's only a percentage of what you pay. So you pay 6000 Euros and end up with an extra 2000 Euros. It doesn't make sense to spend that money to get a percentage back UNLESS you actually love all the gadgets. In that case, get what you want.

Finally, if you look at E46 M3 Market and even the E90 market, you will find that most of the cars are loaded. The special cars are the low option, lighter weight cars. Look at the postings, you will find ads that have been around for months looking for sunroof delete, no NAV M3 Competition Package cars, not for fully loaded luxo-boxes... those are dime a dozen.

Best wishes.

I approve this message!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 02:43 PM   #17
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
Mine was ordered by the dealer, fully loaded. I was annoyed because I would have gone stripper spec if I could have ordered it myself. Now that I have it, I love all the bells and whistles. Not sure I would get rid of any of it.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 03:40 PM   #18
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster
Quote:
Originally Posted by nachob View Post
None!

Best wishes.

I approve this message!
Which M cars didn't come with the same options as their more pedestrian contemporaries though? Maybe the E30 M3 EVO, the E46 M3 CSL and E92 M3 GTS?

The 1M is still a pretty heavy car. I love the crap out of mine but I do wonder what it might have been like if it weighed 600 pounds less and had that new 280 hp 2 liter turbo from the F30.

I'm glad I got mine almost loaded. Im neither tall nor heavy enough for the options to make a significant difference. As Nacho said, definitely worth thinking about manual seats if you're tall etc.
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 04:42 PM   #19
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep

I love it when people say that the difference between a fully loaded 1M and a stripper is 200 lbs!! Seat motors, a screen, and a couple of modules in the trunk don't weigh more than 40-60 lbs. total. If anyone thinks this is enough to make a difference on the track for a street-legal car, I invite you to get on a track with me.

That aside, just order it to your taste, not anyone else's.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2012, 05:00 PM   #20
Dan Parker
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Golf R

I very much agree with 1seriestud. On the Lotus Elise the power window option was actually lighter then the crank type. Someone took the parts and compared them and power windows was lighter. That being said, I like having as few distractions in my 1M as possible. As a bit of a gadget person I'd rather leave the CPU's at home and work and forget about those things while driving. My .02.
      02-19-2012, 07:30 AM   #21
135tii
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1M received 6/11/11!!!!

#123 of 740...BSM..No options here. Can't say that I miss all the bells and whistles. Love driving the car. To each his own. enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2012, 08:43 AM   #22
Rikx1M
MSgt (ret)
Germany
Rep
Drives: VO 1M #739/740

Garage List
Mine is a DD that I'm willing to take to the 'ring also. Ordered mine with everything but sat radio and flux capacitors...but its wicked fast without them. Love the comfort access. BMW apps disappointing compared to other cars with integrated apps. Cold weather package a must here in Germany but wish the steering wheel also heated up. I personally love the nav so glad I got it. Powered seats a waste as I don't really move my seats once set. I'm also looking at getting the BMW performance seats before going back to USA.

The biggest problem is how bmw is selling the packages, especially for US markets.

As for color, love my VO but saw two 118ds at BMW dealership yesterday...also in VO...so this color is getting diluted....the white always looks classy.

The bottom line, Like others said, "get it how you like it."