E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Engine Light flash 5 times - what is going?

02-24-2012, 07:53 PM   #1
DaFish
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 435iX, FBO

Garage List
I have had my Procede, PWM and all my stuff in for months now with no issues.

Running Map 4, I have not tried this in any other map.

What I am experiencing is this: Sometimes when my revs drop really low, say I am crawling along in traffic and I get lazy, and almost stall it, I get the engine light come on and flash 5 times in a row. After that, the engine boost will not go over 5 or 6 PSI - car drives fine till then, and after that, but just won't go any higher than 5 or 6 PSI of boost (probably stock).

If I pull over reset the codes, the car is fine - until I do it again. I can immediately run 18.5 PSI after reseting the system - and runs great.

There is no way it is the Procede. I must have a bad injector, or sensor that is going - I have about 105,000 kms on it. (60,000 miles)

Any ideas on what to get my mechanic Ivo to look at?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 08:21 PM   #2
Bakeme521
Some say...
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fresh

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [8.24]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFish View Post
I have had my Procede, PWM and all my stuff in for months now with no issues.

Running Map 4, I have not tried this in any other map.

What I am experiencing is this: Sometimes when my revs drop really low, say I am crawling along in traffic and I get lazy, and almost stall it, I get the engine light come on and flash 5 times in a row. After that, the engine boost will not go over 5 or 6 PSI - car drives fine till then, and after that, but just won't go any higher than 5 or 6 PSI of boost (probably stock).

If I pull over reset the codes, the car is fine - until I do it again. I can immediately run 18.5 PSI after reseting the system - and runs great.

There is no way it is the Procede. I must have a bad injector, or sensor that is going - I have about 105,000 kms on it. (60,000 miles)

Any ideas on what to get my mechanic Ivo to look at?
Go read the install guide again, there is something in there about the light flashing 5 times. It has something to do with setting the injection mode I think before doing something else. I could be completely wrong, but I do know there is something in there about the light flashing 5 times,

I have exhaust and an intake...
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 08:28 PM   #3
DaFish
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bakeme521 View Post
Go read the install guide again, there is something in there about the light flashing 5 times. It has something to do with setting the injection mode I think before doing something else. I could be completely wrong, but I do know there is something in there about the light flashing 5 times,
Correct, there is. I had that when I first installed the PWM meth kit.

This is not related. I have had the kit installed, working perfectly for 10's of thousands of kms.... car is fine.

The procede settings are set correctly and everything is correct. Just when I drop the revs to a minimal amount and almost stall can I reproduce the issue.

This is a sensor thing that I can reset. Once I reset the code and restart the car, the car will work flawlessly for an entire tank of gas.... until I almost stall it again.

Shiv any thoughts? I am posting here, because I know this isn't the Procede. This has to be a sensor or injector going bad and something firing off the code.

How do I debug this? Can I get the code somehow?

Previous: 2014 BMW F32 435iX - JB4, MHD Flash, BMS Meth Kit, ER Intercooler, intake, catless DPs, KW Streets, 437M Reps with 245/35 and 275/30 Michelin PSS 4S
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 08:34 PM   #4
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
It's meth overflow fault. It will happen when meth flow is twice the injection mode value. To fix, set injection mode value just 5 lower than the max meth flow value. It's a safely precaution that is intended to catch a meth leak.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 08:37 PM   #5
DaFish
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
It's meth overflow fault. It will happen when meth flow is twice the injection mode value. To fix, set injection mode value just 5 lower than the max meth flow value. It's a safely precaution that is intended to catch a meth leak.
Thanks Shiv, I don't want to take the time and effort in the winter to figure out my meth flow.....

Can I just reduce the meth injection rate by a few points to do some trial and error?

come to think of it, it was when I put in the 11-25 maps and then ball parked the injection value to 25 that this started happening.

Please advise

Previous: 2014 BMW F32 435iX - JB4, MHD Flash, BMS Meth Kit, ER Intercooler, intake, catless DPs, KW Streets, 437M Reps with 245/35 and 275/30 Michelin PSS 4S
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 08:46 PM   #6
OpenFlash
United_States
Rep
Drives: A Lot

Garage List
All you need to do is datalog meth flow at full boost. Take that value, subtract 5 and use that as the injection mode value. Very easy.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2012, 09:11 PM   #7
DaFish
Major
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiv@vishnu View Post
All you need to do is datalog meth flow at full boost. Take that value, subtract 5 and use that as the injection mode value. Very easy.
You're the best Shiv, thanks man !

User error ! The car is running so strong right now with the 11-25 maps !

I can't imagine another 200 WHP like you have with the big single ! That must be just insane ! My car now is really fast....

Appreciate 0
      11-17-2013, 01:39 AM   #8
cartaa100
Captain
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335i, 640i, X6M50d, X3M40i

does anyone know what it means if it flashes twice?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2013, 02:19 AM   #9
Schnitzel
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: E92 335i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartaa100 View Post
does anyone know what it means if it flashes twice?
Overboost fault
      11-17-2013, 02:34 AM   #10
cartaa100
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnitzel View Post
Overboost fault
Is it something to worry about? I read it was an exhaust emission fault (would make sense seeing as i just got catless dps)
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 02:06 PM   #11
Schnitzel
Private First Class
Germany
Rep
Drives: E92 335i MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartaa100 View Post
Is it something to worry about? I read it was an exhaust emission fault (would make sense seeing as i just got catless dps)
During regular operation, the Procede is armed to the hilt with safety features designed to protect your engine from component (or user) failure.

Built-in Protections:

Overboost
If boost exceeds the user definable overboost limit for a period longer than the user definable amount of time (delay), then a valet mode is triggered.

Leanrun
If AFR is leaner than 13.5:1 at full boost, above 4500rpm for a period longer than the user definable delay, then a valet mode is triggered

Excessive Wastegate DC
If boost DC is higher than the user definable limit for longer than the time delay, then a valet mode is triggered.

Fuel Pressure failure
If a minimum fuel pressure voltage is not maintained for longer than the given delay, above 10psi of boost, then a valet is triggered.

To provide the user with info as to what fault triggered the valet mode, the SES will flash the following code every 5 seconds.

Procede Fault List
# of SES light flashes
1= Leanrun fault
2= Overboost fault
3= Wastegate overDC fault
4= Fuel pressure fault
5= Methanol Overflow/Leak
6= VIN mismatch
7= Map/Firmware incompatibility
      11-18-2013, 06:47 PM   #12
cartaa100
Captain
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schnitzel View Post
During regular operation, the Procede is armed to the hilt with safety features designed to protect your engine from component (or user) failure.

Built-in Protections:

Overboost
If boost exceeds the user definable overboost limit for a period longer than the user definable amount of time (delay), then a valet mode is triggered.

Leanrun
If AFR is leaner than 13.5:1 at full boost, above 4500rpm for a period longer than the user definable delay, then a valet mode is triggered

Excessive Wastegate DC
If boost DC is higher than the user definable limit for longer than the time delay, then a valet mode is triggered.

Fuel Pressure failure
If a minimum fuel pressure voltage is not maintained for longer than the given delay, above 10psi of boost, then a valet is triggered.

To provide the user with info as to what fault triggered the valet mode, the SES will flash the following code every 5 seconds.

Procede Fault List
# of SES light flashes
1= Leanrun fault
2= Overboost fault
3= Wastegate overDC fault
4= Fuel pressure fault
5= Methanol Overflow/Leak
6= VIN mismatch
7= Map/Firmware incompatibility

Thanks for the help!
Appreciate 0