E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Intermittent meth flow.

03-18-2012, 11:50 AM   #1
plague
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i sold :( / jb 20th AE

Intermittent meth flow.

Back to problems. Ive got intermittent meth flow. Most of the time none at all, sometimes the lights flash for 1 or 2 seconds and then back off, heck sometimes they stay on for a few seconds. I purged the lines and all, flow is perfect, no clogs, no leaks, etc. The problem must be from the exit of the pump to the charge pipe. My lines are fine etc, could this be the flow sensor failing? Have others seen this with the PWM kit hardware? Im open to trying whatever. This has been occurring recently, where are previously everything ran perfectly. Ive changed or touched nothing. Thanks, kinda confused.

Parts for sale- PWM meth kit, M steering wheel, M shift knob, perforated e brake handle
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 12:17 PM   #2
NiVeDh
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 335i, '99 E36 M3

Garage List
Post a log of meth flow.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2012, 12:23 PM   #3
Wedge1967
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 e92 AT Sport Montego Blue

Sucking Air

Quote:
Originally Posted by plague
Back to problems. Ive got intermittent meth flow. Most of the time none at all, sometimes the lights flash for 1 or 2 seconds and then back off, heck sometimes they stay on for a few seconds. I purged the lines and all, flow is perfect, no clogs, no leaks, etc. The problem must be from the exit of the pump to the charge pipe. My lines are fine etc, could this be the flow sensor failing? Have others seen this with the PWM kit hardware? Im open to trying whatever. This has been occurring recently, where are previously everything ran perfectly. Ive changed or touched nothing. Thanks, kinda confused.
Make sure your back flow valve is not letting air into the line. You can plug the wiper line to see if that fixes the issue. Also check clamps on filter and your T connector. I had the same issue and ended up replacing the zips for plastic line clamps.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 02:54 PM   #4
plague
Captain
Rep

to connector and all filters, lines, are perfect, same as day i installed. logs arent going to show much for this issue IMO aside from meth flowing or not. idk what else to test aside from these things. as much as it seems like the meth solenoid is bad, its probably not that.

Parts for sale- PWM meth kit, M steering wheel, M shift knob, perforated e brake handle
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 02:56 PM   #5
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

The logs will actually help, it can be a difference of air being induced into the system mid-pull or a sign that your flow has simply reduced over-time. Methanol systems do require a good amount of attention.

Wedge had a good point about the back flow valve, its a common failure point.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 03:04 PM   #6
plague
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions View Post
The logs will actually help, it can be a difference of air being induced into the system mid-pull or a sign that your flow has simply reduced over-time. Methanol systems do require a good amount of attention.

so, blow against flow direction of check valve then?

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 03:40 PM   #7
plague
Captain
Rep

also when i purge my line, it flows perfectly, so the problem would have to be from the meth solenoid to the charge pipe but everything looks fine..?

Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 04:52 PM   #8
pinky_and_me
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: N54 335xi

My WW pump went bad (started leaking) shortly after I started getting intermittent flow but mine was going on/off like every 0.5 seconds during pulls. I did not see anything unusual while purging the system and it would work sometimes and not others.
A leak under the turn signal side marker on the passenger's side is what you see when that thing leaks.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 05:38 PM   #9
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@topgearsolutions View Post

This.

Mine came loose after like 7-8 months so i tightened it and that fixed my intermittant meth flow.
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 11:13 PM   #10
plague
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky_and_me View Post
My WW pump went bad (started leaking) shortly after I started getting intermittent flow but mine was going on/off like every 0.5 seconds during pulls. I did not see anything unusual while purging the system and it would work sometimes and not others.
A leak under the turn signal side marker on the passenger's side is what you see when that thing leaks.
yyyup. just got home. realized. huge leak coming from that area. about 10 inches behind the passenger side fender. washer tank is definitely leaking badly. bingo. this caused your car to do that same thing? flow was intermittent and this was your culprit? my windshield sprayers spray perfectly fine, so this would cause intermittent flow of methanol how exactly? fluid is still going to be pulled from the tank just as easily isn't it?

Last edited by plague; 03-19-2012 at 11:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2012, 11:37 PM   #11
KyLu II
FREE DREAMK
Dominican Republic
Rep
Drives: the shiiit!

Garage List
2011 Lexus LFA  [3.76]
Damn son again?
      03-19-2012, 11:41 PM   #12
plague
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyLu II View Post
Damn son again?
lol, funny. just texted you. you like that dude? yes.. again.

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 08:59 AM   #13
pinky_and_me
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by plague View Post
my windshield sprayers spray perfectly fine, so this would cause intermittent flow of methanol how exactly? fluid is still going to be pulled from the tank just as easily isn't it?
I think the difference is that when using the wipers the pump actually works and pushes fluid. And you can't notice any air in the line simply because the nozzles disperse the fluid and I think the pump capacity is way over that of the nozzles.
When running meth you have a much powerful pump sucking fluid trough the wiper pump and I think that allows for air to get sucked in through the worn seals.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 11:17 AM   #14
Longboarder
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
yyyup. just got home. realized. huge leak coming from that area. about 10 inches behind the passenger side fender. washer tank is definitely leaking badly. bingo. this caused your car to do that same thing? flow was intermittent and this was your culprit? my windshield sprayers spray perfectly fine, so this would cause intermittent flow of methanol how exactly? fluid is still going to be pulled from the tank just as easily isn't it?
Happened to me as well. The high meth concentration (70/30) corroded in two areas where there was rubber grommets both at the pump and the pour tube. I'm only running 50/50 now.

The WW tank leak and intermittant meth flow have nothing to do with each other.
a couple others
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2012, 12:47 PM   #15
pinky_and_me
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
They did for me, I replaced the leaking ww pump and my meth flow went back to normal.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 02:26 PM   #16
plague
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Happened to me as well. The high meth concentration (70/30) corroded in two areas where there was rubber grommets both at the pump and the pour tube. I'm only running 50/50 now.

replaced leaking pump. didnt fix flow. its not even intermittent anymore, but totally absent. none at all.

Appreciate 0
      03-21-2012, 05:26 PM   #17
Longboarder
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
replaced leaking pump. didnt fix flow. its not even intermittent anymore, but totally absent. none at all.
This happened to me when I had air in my lines. When I would floor it, no meth. But then when I activated my windshield wipers spray, meth would flow during the WOT run.

It was fixed by simply tightening the white screws in the flow line.
a couple others
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2012, 10:31 PM   #18
plague
Captain
Rep

Quote:
This happened to me when I had air in my lines. When I would floor it, no meth. But then when I activated my windshield wipers spray, meth would flow during the WOT run.

It was fixed by simply tightening the white screws in the flow line.
Everything is perfect again. Thats exactly what i was doing today. Took it onto the highway and under boost, pushed the windshield sprayers, and meth was suddenly spraying and indicator lights were holding perfectly. The moment i stopped spraying windshield, the meth would stop. After a few pulls of this, the car was spraying meth perfectly, through all gears, without spraying the windshield anymore. Just took it out to dinner tonight and it worked wonderfully all night. After replacing that leaky pump there was probably a massive amount of air in all of my lines, from sucking in air through the leaky seals which were a flaw in the 'air tight' system. Who knows maybe even some gunk or something inside them a little bit from hardly running it over the winter. I have to say i think its running better than ever. My spray was never this constant and solid. Noticed i would have times when i wouldn't spray for a few seconds or sometimes it would be choppy. Thanks for the help to the two of you above.

Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 08:32 AM   #19
Longboarder
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Everything is perfect again. Thats exactly what i was doing today. Took it onto the highway and under boost, pushed the windshield sprayers, and meth was suddenly spraying and indicator lights were holding perfectly. The moment i stopped spraying windshield, the meth would stop. After a few pulls of this, the car was spraying meth perfectly, through all gears, without spraying the windshield anymore. Just took it out to dinner tonight and it worked wonderfully all night. After replacing that leaky pump there was probably a massive amount of air in all of my lines, from sucking in air through the leaky seals which were a flaw in the 'air tight' system. Who knows maybe even some gunk or something inside them a little bit from hardly running it over the winter. I have to say i think its running better than ever. My spray was never this constant and solid. Noticed i would have times when i wouldn't spray for a few seconds or sometimes it would be choppy. Thanks for the help to the two of you above.
Awesome glad to hear! Did you check to see if the white screws in the flow line were tight? They come loose after a few months and you need to tighten them. That's what was causing my intermittant flow and using the WW spray only helped temporarily.
a couple others
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2012, 10:21 AM   #20
plague
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Awesome glad to hear! Did you check to see if the white screws in the flow line were tight? They come loose after a few months and you need to tighten them. That's what was causing my intermittant flow and using the WW spray only helped temporarily.
yup. my white filter screws were tight as could be.

Appreciate 0