E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Parking Issue & Problems with Our Society

06-11-2007, 01:19 PM   #1
MoreCowbell
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 24 i5M60 23 X740 23 Vette Z06

Parking Issue & Problems with Our Society

I live in New York City and pay to park my car in a garage next to my apartment building. As with most people who park in a Manhattan Garage and do not use there car every day, I am aware that in order to have my car brought down, I need to call either the night before or an hour in advance. Normally I have no problems, but lately the staff has turned over a little bit…

This morning I walked into my garage at 630am. I tell this guy (some punk, mid 20's) that I need my car at 830 am. He says "No problem" and I head to the gym. At 830 I walk into the garage and don't see my car. I see the same guy from 2 hours earlier:

"Hello, where is my car?"
"I don't know"
"Well, it should be downstairs"
"Sir, you have to tell us one hour in advance"
"I told you 2 hours in advance. I walked in and told you. Did I give you TOO MUCH notice?"
"Who did you tell?"
"I told you. You don't recall any of this?"
"No. What kind of car is it?"
"It's a black BMW"
"When you called who did you speak to"
"Are you serious?"
"Sir, I’m just trying to help. We are short staffed"
"Fine, just get my car, please, I'm late for work"

I'm sweating.

5 minutes pass. I see several cars. I don't see mine.

"Ummm...how much longer would you say we are looking at here?"
"I don't know"
"Who should I ask?!?!?"
"I'm working on it"
"If you were working on it, you'd be upstairs trying to find my car"
"Sir, you need to realize, it's not just you. You aren't the only customer. Next time, I’d recommend calling in advance. “
“Are you serious???!?!!!?

From the neck up, I’m drenched.

Finally, after 3 more minutes of not seeing my car...

"Seriously now!!!...I need to get to work, I’m late!!! WHERE IS THE CAR???"
"Calm down sir. Please"
"I'm sorry, I just don't understand why I am paying you $400 per month for this..."
"Well, you don't pay "ME" $400 every month"???

That comment floored me. I wish there was a camera in there because I know I have the same exact look on my face as I stare at this guy that Tony Soprano has when he listens to AJ go on his rants.

At this point I look like Patrick Ewing in Overtime. I seriously consider going back to the apartment to shower again.

At that point, another guy working there yells over to the attendant and tells him to "sh-t the f-ck up". They start jawing at each other in another language.

Finally, after another 10 minutes, the car finally appears. I lay out a towel on the seat because I don't want to sweat through to the leather. Nice start to the day.

No matter what I do...all day...I cannot get that comment out of my head...

"Well, you don't pay "ME" $400 every month"???...It’s just a perfect example of what’s wrong with our society.

Now…I know, if I see this guy in the future I am going to want to kill him. I also know that he'd love nothing more than to key my brand new car. I'm unsure if I should even go back to the garage tonight. I am contemplating finding a new garage.

Any advice?!?!?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2007, 01:24 PM   #2
carl_lazlo
Doctor of Journalism
United_States
Rep
Drives: E 92 335i Sapphire Black

This is a much bigger problem in this country, not just related to parking your car. Everywhere you go people expect you to tip them for basic service or they just don't want to be bothered.

DO YOUR FUCKING JOBS OR JUST STAY HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2007, 01:29 PM   #3
rrandyy
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 328

Maybe it was one guy having a bad day and not a "problem with our society"?
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2007, 01:33 PM   #4
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
We can all relate. Unfortunately, you have to let it go. I'd also start looking around for another nearby garage.
      06-11-2007, 01:33 PM   #5
darkcloud
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 VW JSW

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Your apartment building doesn't have a garage? Or is it just outrageously priced? Personally I'd find a new garage but that's just me.

I bet you can't wait till the automated garages start showing up. I remember reading an article a couple months back about them, you just call the one attendent or walk up and punch in your code then the automated robot system brings your car up in like 10 minutes. Should be great for places like NYC, LA, Boston and Miami.

retired 06 E90 325i

New: 09 VW Platinum Grey Jetta Sportwagen 2.0T SEL w/DSG, panoramic sunroof and Ipod adapter
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2007, 01:34 PM   #6
MoreCowbell
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrandyy View Post
Possible Randy...But from what i've seen, very few people take any pride what-so-ever in there work. It's evident and widespread in Customer Service thoughout our economy.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2007, 01:36 PM   #7
MoreCowbell
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkcloud View Post
Your apartment building doesn't have a garage? Or is it just outrageously priced? Personally I'd find a new garage but that's just me.

I bet you can't wait till the automated garages start showing up. I remember reading an article a couple months back about them, you just call the one attendent or walk up and punch in your code then the automated robot system brings your car up in like 10 minutes. Should be great for places like NYC, LA, Boston and Miami.
It's attached to my building but not affliated.

I have read abouyt the Automated garages. Very Cool.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2007, 01:36 PM   #8
bmw0perat0r
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 Austin Yellow

Here's just my initial thought on this...

The difference between poorer people and the richer is vast these days. Some people feel they are entitled to money automatically without having to work for it. People like this usually work lower end jobs, like this parking attendent. "Well, you don't pay ME $400 a month" is what I would expect to hear out of someone like that. They get paid just enough to do their job and not nearly enough to care.

When you were younger and worked at joe schmo's restaurant and got paid $7/hr did you care? I doubt it. I know when I was younger I didn't....no pride in your work is what it is. Again, you get paid enough to come in and do your job - no enthusiasm, no pride, no rush...you don't care, b/c they don't pay you enough for that.

I don't trust valet, I don't trust anything like this b/c those people have no pride in their job, none. They don't care about you, they don't care about your car...they are just there for the $7 and if they can slack and get away with it, they will.

It disgusts me. Sorry to hear about your trouble, i sympathize.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2007, 01:40 PM   #9
Vikingus
Nothing to see here folks
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrandyy View Post
You should come down to NYC for a month or so, it's not only one guy having a bad day.
      06-11-2007, 01:40 PM   #10
MoreCowbell
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw0perat0r View Post

The difference between poorer people and the richer is vast these days. Some people feel they are entitled to money automatically without having to work for it. People like this usually work lower end jobs, like this parking attendent. "Well, you don't pay ME $400 a month" is what I would expect to hear out of someone like that. They get paid just enough to do their job and not nearly enough to care.

When you were younger and worked at joe schmo's restaurant and got paid $7/hr did you care? I doubt it. I know when I was younger I didn't....no pride in your work is what it is. Again, you get paid enough to come in and do your job - no enthusiasm, no pride, no rush...you don't care, b/c they don't pay you enough for that.

I don't trust valet, I don't trust anything like this b/c those people have no pride in their job, none. They don't care about you, they don't care about your car...they are just there for the $7 and if they can slack and get away with it, they will.

We think alike my friend.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2007, 01:40 PM   #11
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

I hate it when I have to move the wifes car out of the garage before I can get mine out... DAMN YOU TANDEM GARAGE!!!! And look at the collection of crap... BUT, I've since Purged and Cleaned...

See when she pulls in it screws everything up.

I'm just messing around, my work parking is screwed though, I mean it's horrible... All by itself, Isolated...

OK OK , Cowbell I'm fuggin with you, cannot imagine dealing with this kind of behavior, attitude, to get your car. I dunno how I would deal with it.
Attached Images

06-11-2007, 01:48 PM   #12
DasBlitz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 328i 07

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
That's how it goes. As stated the guy probably does not get payed enough. Is that your fault? No. Should he be so happy to get a car if he gets payed crap? No. There are so many angles to this and so many points.

At the end of the day you can either stay bitter or let it go and continually enjoy life and your BMW.
      06-11-2007, 01:52 PM   #13
MoreCowbell
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DasBlitz View Post
At the end of the day you can either stay bitter or let it go and continually enjoy life and your BMW.
I agree.

It's just very easy to lose sight of what's truly important in life during some frusterating, though mundane, moments.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2007, 01:55 PM   #14
itsbrokeagain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1999 528iT, E53 X5, E46 325xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingus View Post
You should come down to NYC for a month or so, it's not only one guy having a bad day.

+2
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2007, 01:55 PM   #15
STE92VE
STEVIL Empire
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Quote:
The difference between poorer people and the richer is vast these days.
When I read this, I thought of what was said this past week when I was on a sailing vacation in the BVI. A fellow sailor relayed to me that one day while he was moored in a nice little bay, he looked up at this beautiful large house on the hillside and commented "it must be nice to be rich". He said this from the cockpit of the 40' boat he chartered for the week.

The difference you mention is more of perspective and for all we know, that parking attendant might feel sorry for the OP because he has to get dressed and work in an office all day. I agree that pride is a big part about doing your job well. I've always believed that if you can't do a job well than why do it in the first place. It seems that the manager of that garage has not trained his employees in the fine art of customer service. You may not be paying HIM $400/month, but you are paying part of his wage and he needs to be made aware of that fact.

I think a 2x4 to the back of his head would open up his eyes a little bit and go a long way in teaching him the proper way to respond to customer inquiries.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2007, 01:56 PM   #16
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoreCowbell View Post

At that point, another guy working there yells over to the attendant and tells him to "sh-t the f-ck up". They start jawing at each other in another language.

Any advice?!?!?

there's your problem, it's the damn foreigners!
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2007, 01:59 PM   #17
STE92VE
STEVIL Empire
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward View Post
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2007, 01:59 PM   #18
JSpira
Freude am Fahren
Austria
Rep
Drives: Fünfer, Dreier, +

If I were you, and planning on parking there again, I would somehow try to make amends with this guy even though he was in the wrong.

This gets into the short-term explosion has long term implications (do you really feel safe handing your car over to him again?) unless there is some mollification involved (on your part).

I don´t think you did anything wrong of course but that doesn´t change the circumstance.

Our garage is a combination of self-park and valet and we have two great against the wall spots. HOWEVER, I am still very very nice to the guys who work there since, well, they are there all the time and I am not.

Again, not your fault but it is your (new) car.

Jonathan

E90 2006 330xi
E90 2006 325i
E39 2003 530i Sport*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired

Nominated: Most Contributing Member
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2007, 02:03 PM   #19
MoreCowbell
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward View Post
I couldn't disagree with you more.

I see more pride taken in work from those who are new to this country and trying to stay afloat than those who are already here. It's not even close.

Some immigrants come to our country are so stoked that they have an opporutnity for a better life, that they work their tits off and will do anything for you.

And what do the home-grown Americans do??? We sit on our fat, diabete infected asses, and expect to have sh-t handed to us on platter. We think we have a Birth Right because we have a social security number.

Am I Stereotyping here? Absolutely. And I am not proud of that. But i'm just stating what I've been seeing.
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2007, 02:10 PM   #20
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

Quote:

I agree but it's NOT just "Poorer" people. The notion of entitlement is widespread and as we all notice here on E90 Very prevalent with the Middle and Middle upper Income levels as well.

Personally I think it has to do with the the NEW concept of "Everyone is Equal, or worse "Everyone is Special" / "Everyone is a Winner". This mind set, is the freaking problem. These Dumbshit kids get it drilled into their heads that they are "Winners" and "Special" from Day one, they have never had to actually compete for this reassurance, they've never had to work hard and sweat for it. it's just been bestowed upon them.

I think this is the base notion that causes defective attitudes.

Well that and a hatred of wealth, money, and success, while worshiping it all at the same time.
      06-11-2007, 02:11 PM   #21
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Maybe it's just my "generation" X, but I almost always tried to do a good job, whether it was pulling weeds in the front yard, delivering newspapers, washing dishes, programming computers for the Navy, or managing the IT infrastructure for a small city. But then I had to walk uphill both ways in 20 feet of snow to change the vinyl records. (we were priviledged, I had shoes)
Appreciate 0
      06-11-2007, 02:11 PM   #22
Brunotheboxer
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500.

i would be worried about my car being keyed like you stated. you might want to search for a new garage even if it costs a little more, it might be worth it.

"...I maybe drunk, but you're ugly, and I can sober up..."
Appreciate 0