E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Waste of money! Dealer didn't CHECK!!!!

06-12-2007, 10:50 PM   #1
Tarthuss
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Waste of money! Dealer didn't CHECK!!!!

So I just gave up my car because my lease ended. My tires were basically gone so I had to provide new tires, I WAS going to buy regular tires but I bought new RFTs because I was told that they check for this when they do an inspection when i turn in the car.

I gave the guy at the dealer the keys and glimped at it for dents, but he didn't check if my tires were RFTs or not!

WHAT A WASTE OF MY MONEY!!! HAS THIS EVER HAPPENED TO ANYONE BEFORE??? CRAP!!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2007, 10:53 PM   #2
DrGP
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Sapphire 335i coupe

My CA specifically said that I had to return my car with run flat tires at the end of the lease.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2007, 10:57 PM   #3
Tarthuss
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrGP View Post
My CA specifically said that I had to return my car with run flat tires at the end of the lease.
That's exactly why I did it. But the guy didn't even check!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2007, 10:59 PM   #4
DasBlitz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 328i 07

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarthuss View Post
That's exactly why I did it. But the guy didn't even check!
Doesnt mean he didnt check later. They would of hit you for it eventually.
      06-12-2007, 11:03 PM   #5
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

+1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DasBlitz View Post
      06-12-2007, 11:05 PM   #6
Tarthuss
Second Lieutenant
Rep

The thing is, I asked my friend who turned it in like 3 months ago if he replaced them and he said that he didn't and they never charged him for anything.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2007, 11:08 PM   #7
canucklion
pull my finger to get your kinder® surprise
Canada
Rep
Drives: circles around you

well, I guess instead of bitching to us about it, you should break into your dealership tonight and swap back the RFTs, win/win situation for all of us really
      06-12-2007, 11:54 PM   #8
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

how do you know they didn't check?

run flat tires can be easy to spot by their sidewall markings to the trained eye

or did you really sneak one by and turn the car in with general tires or hankooks or something blatantly not OE
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2007, 11:59 PM   #9
Shinchan
LED Rules
Rep
Drives: Sold: 335xi Coupe

My CA check... and it was not OEM... heck, i even have different brand on front vs back.. they took it back.. and all they say was its not OEM.. but since i am friend with Gen Sales manager.. they have to let it go... LOL
      06-13-2007, 07:03 AM   #10
DasBlitz
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw 328i 07

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
I'll most likely be trading my vehicle in for another BMW when the time comes. I would assume if I do not have RFT on the vehicle they will let it slide along with other issues since I will be getting another vehicle.

There are many factors when it comes to this. If you are just giving up the car and not getting another one through the dealer then most likely they will get anything they can from you.
      06-13-2007, 07:32 AM   #11
LEDZEP
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2009 E70 & 2011 F25

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ward View Post
how do you know they didn't check?

run flat tires can be easy to spot by their sidewall markings to the trained eye

or did you really sneak one by and turn the car in with general tires or hankooks or something blatantly not OE
+1. I could easily tell by just walking around the car and glancing. How do you know he didn't look?

I think it is bad luck to be superstitious
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2007, 07:42 AM   #12
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarthuss View Post
So I just gave up my car because my lease ended. My tires were basically gone so I had to provide new tires, I WAS going to buy regular tires but I bought new RFTs because I was told that they check for this when they do an inspection when i turn in the car.

I gave the guy at the dealer the keys and glimped at it for dents, but he didn't check if my tires were RFTs or not!

WHAT A WASTE OF MY MONEY!!! HAS THIS EVER HAPPENED TO ANYONE BEFORE??? CRAP!!
When we turned my wife's last car in, there were lots of things we scrutinized that they ended up not looking at. But even things that we got wrong like putting in non-BMW windshield glass, they did not charge us for. (The installer said it would function identical to the BMW glass WRT rain sensors, but the dealership claimed differently.) There was also damage to the underside of the front bumper which I figured we'd just eat the cost of. I saw them inspect near there - and yet they did not charge for that either.

Sure maybe I could have gotten away with throwing some crap tires on it too, but I think putting OEM tires (they weren't RFTs in this case) on it gave them the impression that we actually cared, so they forgave other faults. Just MHO.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2007, 08:10 AM   #13
Two Sheds
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: Mini Cooper JCW

Quote:
I wouldn't have thought they could do anything later without a lot of hassle. My current car is my first leased car, but I would expect when I turn the car in I would get a signed sheet saying that the car is fine or with what damage/issues it has (this is what happened when I left a company and turned in my company car).

You turn your car in and a week later they come back and say the seats were torn, it had a huge dent in the front bumper and they'd like $10000 please?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2007, 09:53 AM   #14
msimon18
Retired
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 s30i

Garage List
I have leased for nearly 25 years with all different car companies. I have never had to pay ANY fees at turn in and have always had my security deposit refunded in full. The last car was my first BMW - a 330 ci cabriolet. Since I used different winter tires the original performance tires still had tread just to the wear bars. After the inspection I took the car on a 1000 mile trip. There were a few other small door dents (from parking lots) and the front lower body molding was pretty scratehed fom my wife running into high curbs. The drivers seat wa salso pretty worn. When the inspection company came out to review the car the guy spent about 45 minutes going over the vehicle with a fine tooth comb. I thought for sure there would be some issues and charges. In the end his inspection report showed no abnormal wear and no turn in fees.

Interesting thing is the guy had no idea that I was buying another new 3 series so he could not provide any leeway on that account. In fact he worked for an independent company hired by BMWNA. All in all I really like the way BMW does the lease turn in inspection. The packet of information mailed out in advance of the inspection was very complete and had all kinds of gauges that the owner could use to determine if any wear would be considered excessive.

I am sure however, because I was told by the CA, that 60 days after the inspection (when I actually turned it in) and after the 1000 mile trip that the tires were all below the allowable turn in tread (4/32 I think) and that since I was buying a new vehicle (same day I turned it in) they would waive the added wear cost for the tires.

So in the end both are true - From my experience BMW is really fair about excessive wear and if you buy / lease a new one they are even a bit more forgiving.

M3 GTR - 1/5 scale - 4.2 HP w/ Collari hydraulic brakes - would you believe ~80 MPH on straightaway !!
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2007, 11:19 AM   #15
carjon
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 328xi Sedan

I think a lot depends upon whether the dealer is going to buy the car from BMW financial and then sell it themselves or if it is going back to financial. I've leased cars for a long time and never paid extra but I try and not give them a good reason to charge me.
non-run flats are an interesting issue since the cars don't have spares or jacks and are "designed" for run flats, I'd probably insist on them if I bought a used BMW.
      06-13-2007, 06:42 PM   #16
Tarthuss
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
When we turned my wife's last car in, there were lots of things we scrutinized that they ended up not looking at. But even things that we got wrong like putting in non-BMW windshield glass, they did not charge us for. (The installer said it would function identical to the BMW glass WRT rain sensors, but the dealership claimed differently.) There was also damage to the underside of the front bumper which I figured we'd just eat the cost of. I saw them inspect near there - and yet they did not charge for that either.

Sure maybe I could have gotten away with throwing some crap tires on it too, but I think putting OEM tires (they weren't RFTs in this case) on it gave them the impression that we actually cared, so they forgave other faults. Just MHO.
helpful

Quote:
I'll most likely be trading my vehicle in for another BMW when the time comes. I would assume if I do not have RFT on the vehicle they will let it slide along with other issues since I will be getting another vehicle.

There are many factors when it comes to this. If you are just giving up the car and not getting another one through the dealer then most likely they will get anything they can from you.

helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklion View Post
well, I guess instead of bitching to us about it, you should break into your dealership tonight and swap back the RFTs, win/win situation for all of us really
Not helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by msimon18 View Post
I have leased for nearly 25 years with all different car companies. I have never had to pay ANY fees at turn in and have always had my security deposit refunded in full. The last car was my first BMW - a 330 ci cabriolet. Since I used different winter tires the original performance tires still had tread just to the wear bars. After the inspection I took the car on a 1000 mile trip. There were a few other small door dents (from parking lots) and the front lower body molding was pretty scratehed fom my wife running into high curbs. The drivers seat wa salso pretty worn. When the inspection company came out to review the car the guy spent about 45 minutes going over the vehicle with a fine tooth comb. I thought for sure there would be some issues and charges. In the end his inspection report showed no abnormal wear and no turn in fees.

Interesting thing is the guy had no idea that I was buying another new 3 series so he could not provide any leeway on that account. In fact he worked for an independent company hired by BMWNA. All in all I really like the way BMW does the lease turn in inspection. The packet of information mailed out in advance of the inspection was very complete and had all kinds of gauges that the owner could use to determine if any wear would be considered excessive.

I am sure however, because I was told by the CA, that 60 days after the inspection (when I actually turned it in) and after the 1000 mile trip that the tires were all below the allowable turn in tread (4/32 I think) and that since I was buying a new vehicle (same day I turned it in) they would waive the added wear cost for the tires.

So in the end both are true - From my experience BMW is really fair about excessive wear and if you buy / lease a new one they are even a bit more forgiving.
helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by carjon View Post
I think a lot depends upon whether the dealer is going to buy the car from BMW financial and then sell it themselves or if it is going back to financial. I've leased cars for a long time and never paid extra but I try and not give them a good reason to charge me.
non-run flats are an interesting issue since the cars don't have spares or jacks and are "designed" for run flats, I'd probably insist on them if I bought a used BMW.
helpful
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2007, 07:14 PM   #17
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklion View Post
The OP's kind of thinking would never make it on Wall St. Remember back in the late 90's when some cried over their "missed money?" They didn't think about the fabulous returns they banked, rather how they fell short of the peak and shoulda or coulda or woulda.....those RFTs are a done deal, why not move on?

helpful
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2007, 07:27 PM   #18
BMW2006
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Montego Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shinchan View Post
My CA check... and it was not OEM... heck, i even have different brand on front vs back.. they took it back.. and all they say was its not OEM.. but since i am friend with Gen Sales manager.. they have to let it go... LOL
You can have more than one brand on the tires, but 2 brands is the limit.

-BMW2006
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2007, 07:40 PM   #19
Coldintake
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: in circles

A few years ago I returned my 01 330i with clear corners on the back, but ambers in the front. Didn't hear from them.
Appreciate 0