F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > 3 and 4 Series Ordering / Pricing / Order Tracking Forum (and European Delivery) > ED price vs NA price
ARMA SPEED

03-31-2012, 12:07 PM   #1
Calmwinds
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Everywhere

ED price vs NA price

Hi Guys, people say you can save money from doing a European Delivery. If for example I decide to purchase an M3 worth $82,000 CDN with all the options included (no tax), approximately how much will it be if the same options are put in but European Delivery? Just rough estimates would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 12:33 PM   #2
pcbrew
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i 6MT

BMW's web site has the discounts listed.
We get roughly 7% in the US.
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2012, 12:41 PM   #3
Calmwinds
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcbrew View Post
BMW's web site has the discounts listed.
We get roughly 7% in the US.
thanks for the quick reply. Would appreciate any input from Canadians that's done ED recently. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 10:01 AM   #4
JulieDriving
Female driving enthusiast :P
Rep
Drives: Bimmer

Garage List
Canadians get NO ED discount whatsoever.
      04-01-2012, 04:00 PM   #5
Maz335i
BMW 4 Life...
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2015 SO M3 (on order)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieDriving
I'm not sure if that's true...I believe I read something on BMW Toronto's website talking about discounts for ED delivery.

I MAY be wrong but strongly believe I read something about an 8% discount off the MSRP! :
      04-01-2012, 05:34 PM   #6
SCBimmerKid
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieDriving View Post
I kind of feel like BMW doesn't like Canada. You guys have to pay more and don't get discounts Poor Canada.

*NO LONGER ON ORDER* '12 328i Mineral Grey Metallic w/black leather/aluminum&black gloss trim/ZSL/ZPP/Xenons
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 05:39 PM   #7
bimmerjph
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0

Its would only be cheaper if you went to BMW Welt, and then immediately dropped it off at a port. Otherwise it would end up being about the same.

Where you really save is if you wanted/were planning to go to Europe anyway.
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2012, 05:39 PM   #8
JulieDriving
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maz335i View Post
I'm not sure if that's true...I believe I read something on BMW Toronto's website talking about discounts for ED delivery.

I MAY be wrong but strongly believe I read something about an 8% discount off the MSRP! :
Go ahead and check with your dealer. And BMW Canada's website.
      04-01-2012, 06:05 PM   #9
JulieDriving
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBimmerKid View Post
I kind of feel like BMW doesn't like Canada. You guys have to pay more and don't get discounts Poor Canada.
Thanks.

BMW Canada, which is different and distinct from BMWNA (despite the "NA" in BMWNA meaning "North America" and implying it includes more than just the States...) has no impetus to change and offer more discounts. Our market is small (our population is the size of California) and we continue to pay their prices...

They didn't even offer a decent ED program until a couple of years ago...

The other option is importing an used model from the States. Which some Canadians have done successfully, but evidently not frequently enough for BMW Canada to feel motivated to change. Not long ago, an independant car dealer imported a competition package M3 (which was not available in Canada in 2011 except for a very high price of almost $6K at the time) at a significantly reduced price, but it sat in the classifieds for a long time... (I was surprised at that. It was just the wrong transmission for me, damn.) Also Canadians unloading an imported American model have often had to lower their prices such that any gains they made through importing were lost upon resale... I still think it is a good option to pursue, depending on someone's preferences, objectives, etc.

EDIT: Same changes have occurred tho'. For instance, as previously mentioned, the competition package for the M3 was nearly $6K in Canada in 2011. It dropped to $2900 for the 2012 model year (much closer to the US $2500 price).
      04-02-2012, 08:22 AM   #10
Calmwinds
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Thanks.

BMW Canada, which is different and distinct from BMWNA (despite the "NA" in BMWNA meaning "North America" and implying it includes more than just the States...) has no impetus to change and offer more discounts. Our market is small (our population is the size of California) and we continue to pay their prices...

They didn't even offer a decent ED program until a couple of years ago...

The other option is importing an used model from the States. Which some Canadians have done successfully, but evidently not frequently enough for BMW Canada to feel motivated to change. Not long ago, an independant car dealer imported a competition package M3 (which was not available in Canada in 2011 except for a very high price of almost $6K at the time) at a significantly reduced price, but it sat in the classifieds for a long time... (I was surprised at that. It was just the wrong transmission for me, damn.) Also Canadians unloading an imported American model have often had to lower their prices such that any gains they made through importing were lost upon resale... I still think it is a good option to pursue, depending on someone's preferences, objectives, etc.

EDIT: Same changes have occurred tho'. For instance, as previously mentioned, the competition package for the M3 was nearly $6K in Canada in 2011. It dropped to $2900 for the 2012 model year (much closer to the US $2500 price).
Hey Julie, are you getting an e92 m3? Not waiting for F80?
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 07:49 PM   #11
JulieDriving
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calmwinds View Post
Hey Julie, are you getting an e92 m3? Not waiting for F80?
Well, I'd like to have both (I'd like to keep the E92 after the F80 comes), but if I can't get an early allocation for a 2013 model and the F80 is scheduled to come earlier than expected, well, I may reconsider.

I'm pretty sure the F80 will be better in most ways... But I don't like buying first or even second year models, and I figure I'd be damn lucky to be driving an E92 M3 in the meantime...
      04-02-2012, 08:11 PM   #12
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Garage List
Quote:
But I don't like buying first or even second year models, and I figure I'd be damn lucky to be driving an E92 M3 in the meantime...
That's like my wife, she wants a M as well, maybe just the M-Sport, but she also said she'd wait until we're a few years down the road with those vehicles.

Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 09:52 PM   #13
JulieDriving
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by svache View Post
That's like my wife, she wants a M as well, maybe just the M-Sport, but she also said she'd wait until we're a few years down the road with those vehicles.
I've had issues with things that I've purchased when they first came out... but I have been lucky with cars purchased in the second half of their model cycles...

Sometimes it's tough waiting. There is no perfect choice, just a preference after weighing pros and cons.

I'm sure the F30 M-Sport will be good. And now, for the first time, they'll come with the option of an upgraded M-Performance suspension. This could be good for those seeking greater levels of performance but not needing/wanting full M levels.