E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Update from GIAC on status of tuning program for 335i

06-15-2007, 12:16 PM   #1
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi A4 / 91 Track Miata

Garage List
Update from GIAC on status of tuning program for 335i

I emailed my friend Andrew at GIAC in SoCal..and asked for a status on where they stand on something for the 335i...here is his response.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Andrew, just checking in on the status of your development on the performance tuning on the BMW 335i platform. If you get a chance, can you let me know how far along in the process you folks are at. Thanks man.

Steve

Hi Steve,

How have you been? We are in the earliest stages of development for 335 performance programming. In fact we only started looking at the DME a couple of weeks ago. At this point we are disassembling how the ECU works and determining what kinds of tools and products we want to make for it. I did purchase a 335 for my daily driver at last November, but the last twelve months have been very busy with previously scheduled commitments. More and more we are clearing out these prior commitments and will be able to devote more time to the 335. Once we have products developed and tested on our in house car, we will then proceed to run Beta tests with our dealers' own cars and will most likely give you an update at this point. Once we have tested it on several in house cars we will release it to the public.

Just to give you an idea of what we have been up to.....

-Direct injection big Turbo kit for the Audi and VW 2.0TFSI platform with VF-Engineering. (We have extensive experience with direct injection turbo cars.)
-Stasis/Mahle Signature series A4 and A3 cars with full Warranty as seen in Road and Track, Autoweek and European Car.
-Also for our part in the GIAC/Stasis/Mahle technology partnership, we have been tuning World Challenge trim turnkey race cars for Stasis to sell to private owners.
-A very rigorous Television schedule on The Speed Channel's "Street Tuner Challenge".
-A 9.6 second 150 MHP quarte-mile, street legal 996 TT runing the original OEM Bosch DME with GIAC custom software and Evolution Motorsports hardware.
-A second on the season finish for last years Grand-Am Cup(the number one Porsche car).
-We have a direct injection turbo GTI that is running second on the season in the UK's VW Cup Series. This is also the only car in the top ten running not using a stand alone computer.
-The first 997 Turbo with stock motor and turbos to quarter-mile in the 10's.
-First place in the "One Lap of America" for the third year in a row.
-First place in the "Eurotuner GP" for the third year in a row.
-First company in the world to flash the 2007 Bentley CGT, CGTC and Flying Spurs(the ECUs changed in 2007 but we were also the first to flash the previous version. In fact we were even doing so before the dealerships could.).
-A big turbo kit for the 997TT with Evolution Motorsports.
-A big turbo kit for the 997TT with AWE-Tuning.
-Finally the very popular E46 M3 VF-Engineering supercharger kit.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

So, suffice it to say they are not ready for prime-time yet..they just started working on it. I am thinking 3-6 months before they have something..probably closer to 6 months due to the projects they have in their queue.

I wish it were sooner. I dont know if I can hold off that long before some additional tuning goes in my car.

Just thought you guys might be interested in this information.

And "No, I dont have any affiliation to GIAC other than being a previous customer of them two times in the past"...

Car is now gone .... :-(
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2007, 12:35 PM   #2
sflgator
Major General
Rep
Drives: '09 MB C63 AMG & '08 MB GL450

Probably more like 12-18 months, like Dinan and others. That's why I just laugh when ppl say things like..."I'll just wait for Dinan or GIAC or xxx." So many promises and so little results.

|2009 RENNtech MB C63 AMG | Black/Black Leather/Black Maple | Premium II | MultiMedia | iPod |
| TeleAid | Charcoal Filter Delete | BMC High-Flow Air Filters | High-Flow Secondary Cats | Clear Side Markers |
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2007, 06:42 PM   #3
A418t81
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Ever changing fleet

Garage List
2013 335is  [0.00]
GIAC rarely promises something they don't keep and they know their stuff very well. They have no problem with the Audi Motronic, DME will take a while but they will have it licked in due time as well. They tend to be a bit on the aggressive side as well with their programming which I personally like.
      08-09-2007, 09:59 AM   #4
s4iscool
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

any GIAC updates on a flash program for the 335?
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2007, 10:02 AM   #5
S4to335
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi A4 / 91 Track Miata

Garage List
I can ask...let me see what he says. Email sent

Car is now gone .... :-(

Last edited by S4to335; 08-09-2007 at 10:36 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2007, 12:36 PM   #6
s4iscool
Major
United_States
Rep

thanks, im sure there are good bmw tuners, but back from the audi days, ive come to trust GIAC in many regards
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2007, 02:44 AM   #7
jasonn
JDM Slut
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 e90 335i

Garage List
it's really disgusting to see people compare giac to dinan.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2007, 02:48 AM   #8
nico335
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonn View Post
it's really disgusting to see people compare giac to dinan.
tell me about it
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2007, 10:18 AM   #9
sflgator
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raz5219 View Post
I'd also like to get a status on GIAC's development of the 335 ecu. I've seen many people use GIAC'software in their Porsche's, and it's been rock solid for them. If they had a product out for our cars, I'd most probably buy it.
Sure, it's great to have competition and options, but unfortunately, this currently is not a performance tuning option for the 335i, and nobody knows when and if it will be. Who has time to wait...and wait...and wait? By the time some of these other tuning companies actually offer different 335i performance tuning options, I may have moved on to my next 335i or another vehicle.

|2009 RENNtech MB C63 AMG | Black/Black Leather/Black Maple | Premium II | MultiMedia | iPod |
| TeleAid | Charcoal Filter Delete | BMC High-Flow Air Filters | High-Flow Secondary Cats | Clear Side Markers |
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2007, 10:20 AM   #10
Spool
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: A few

They are too little too late.

With Procede V2 coming out, no one will care about Giac

MKIV 6spd 1000hp Club
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2007, 10:25 AM   #11
DrDomer
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330ci ZHP, 1999 Miata

Damn... I want the kids back! I'm addicted! Spool! Help!
      08-13-2007, 10:33 AM   #12
purplewidow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 335

sfl gator don't laugh...its not your money!!!!! people sometimes prefer to go with warranty in the case of dinan and my shop won't kick dinan on the fact they havn't gotten a "for sure" on the software from bmw...qnd on 30-60k car a lot of people would rather be safe than sry!!! and lose lets say 20 hp if it is warrantied!!! and i am sure companies take longer for that reason b/c they need factual data that can tell them they won't have to replace 20 engines or whatever!!!! i too am one waiting i have nothing to lose esp since winter will be here soon enough!!!! i am looking forward to next summer though!!! another reason i am in love with the procede is b/c it is a piggy that WORKS and since removal is fairly easy it might be the way i go in the end!!!! and sfl gator i remember you saying you got a procede then no procede...you get one yet?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2007, 10:43 AM   #13
sflgator
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplewidow View Post
sfl gator don't laugh...its not your money!!!!! people sometimes prefer to go with warranty in the case of dinan and my shop won't kick dinan on the fact they havn't gotten a "for sure" on the software from bmw...qnd on 30-60k car a lot of people would rather be safe than sry!!! and lose lets say 20 hp if it is warrantied!!! and i am sure companies take longer for that reason b/c they need factual data that can tell them they won't have to replace 20 engines or whatever!!!! i too am one waiting i have nothing to lose esp since winter will be here soon enough!!!! i am looking forward to next summer though!!! another reason i am in love with the procede is b/c it is a piggy that WORKS and since removal is fairly easy it might be the way i go in the end!!!! and sfl gator i remember you saying you got a procede then no procede...you get one yet?
I think you're confused...I was one of Shiv's XEDE beta testers in 12/06. Then, I converted to the PROcede of course...looking forward to v2.0. :rocks: btw -- my BMW dealer says Dinan sucks (and they're an authorized Dinan dealer/installer) and it's "old news." The Dinan warranty you're referring to is not BMW's, it's Dinan's (takes over where BMW's warranty leaves off in the case of faulty aftermarket Dinan parts). Also, if you have an SA that's cool, then having a few mods on your car don't matter so much. And, yes, taking out the PROcede isn't that difficult; better than a chip flash that cannot be easily uninstalled.

Appreciate 0
      08-29-2007, 11:44 PM   #14
HP Autosport
Supreme Allied Commander
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by sflgator View Post
I think you're confused...I was one of Shiv's XEDE beta testers in 12/06. Then, I converted to the PROcede of course...looking forward to v2.0. :rocks: btw -- my BMW dealer says Dinan sucks (and they're an authorized Dinan dealer/installer) and it's "old news." The Dinan warranty you're referring to is not BMW's, it's Dinan's (takes over where BMW's warranty leaves off in the case of faulty aftermarket Dinan parts). Also, if you have an SA that's cool, then having a few mods on your car don't matter so much. And, yes, taking out the PROcede isn't that difficult; better than a chip flash that cannot be easily uninstalled.

With the Flashloader Hand-Held it allows you to switch between programs with a touch of a button. I would imagine it will be available for the 335i when GIAC releases the flash.

http://www.giacusa.com/flashloader_handheld.php
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2007, 07:14 AM   #15
s4iscool
Major
United_States
Rep

sounds good, I would def wait for giacs flash...its noninvasive and their performance reputation is at the top

Last edited by s4iscool; 08-31-2007 at 08:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2007, 09:21 AM   #16
HPIA4v2
Major
Rep
Drives: F80, F86

Remind me of AUDI A4 1.8T chipping back in the old days...

There were so many tuners on the get go, now I can only name APR and GIAC.
I think it'll be the same with 335i as well, in 2-3 years probably the crowd will converge to 2-3 tuners.

From modding my Audi I can only say, whoever has both performance-service package will climb to the top. Modding cars require some sort of customization, since mfg change parts between MY (model year) even software version.

I am waiting for sure, still enjoying my 535i stock for now.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2007, 09:39 AM   #17
A418t81
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2013 335is  [0.00]
APR is not interested in the N54. Already asked
      08-30-2007, 01:52 PM   #18
astris
Major
Rep
Drives: M4 ZCP Individual Mintgruen

Quote:
Originally Posted by A418t81 View Post
I remember reading they were interested a while back. Maybe things have changed.

It would be nice since they know their way around high pressure fueling and pain in the ass turbo/manifolds. That new facility of theirs looks like it's going to be amazing too.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2007, 02:20 PM   #19
HPIA4v2
Major
Rep
Drives: F80, F86

Quote:
Originally Posted by A418t81 View Post
If they did, they need to add "B" into APR name
I think the "A" stands for we know what.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2007, 03:51 PM   #20
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spool View Post

I wouldn't say that. The market is fickle, loyalty scarce. If GIAC comes out with a reflash device (plug in, flash SW) at a sub-$1000 pricepoint and good reliability, you'd be surprised how many people would buy it...

I'm as enthusiastic about modding as the next guy, but I'm holding back on buying a Procede, for several reasons:
- don't like their torque map
- wait for all the bugs to be worked out (V2? v2.2? we'll see)
- price (well, that's not ultimately an obstacle, merely a suggestion )

While I wait for new options to emerge, or for Procede to start offering what I need, I am comfortably boosting at a low level with the Juice Box S1.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2007, 05:42 PM   #21
A418t81
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Garage List
2013 335is  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by astris View Post
I remember reading they were interested a while back. Maybe things have changed.

It would be nice since they know their way around high pressure fueling and pain in the ass turbo/manifolds. That new facility of theirs looks like it's going to be amazing too.
Seeing as how I know every person there that's responsible for making such decisions on a personal level, I'd say that the chances they are actually interested are as slim as a cold day in hell

ADC, You can probably bet on the flashes having similar torque numbers to V.2, if not a touch higher depending on what they feel comfortable subjecting the drivetrain to.
      08-30-2007, 07:06 PM   #22
S_M
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spool View Post

Its never too late. Look at Subaru tuning. The first year of the wrx people used Vishnu unichips and mbc's. Then came the TurboXS UTEC, which was like a revolution. Then flashes like cobb accessport and ecutek. Now enginuity which is esentially free if you can tune yourself.

Im sure this car will be the same way. 3 years down the road Procede may be looked down upon badly, who knows. I know Vishnu was big in Subarus in the beginning with unichip, but then gained a pretty poor reputation as new flashes came out.

Only time will tell, people still have a ton of learning to do about these cars...
Appreciate 0