E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Trade-in has a cracked windshield!

06-15-2007, 03:25 PM   #1
droptop335
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 335i (E93)

Trade-in has a cracked windshield!

So, I have about month to go before I trade in my G35 for the E93, and this morning I took a rock on the freeway, and a crack is slowly making its way across my windshield.

Now I need to replace it, especially since depending on what trade-in value the dealer is willing to give me, I may want to try and sell it on the open market.

Are there any good (read "cheap") windshield places that people have experience with? I know there are some national chains...

Due to my deductible, I'll probably end up paying out of pocket for the whole thing.

MHD Stage 1 Flash, M-Factory Helical LSD

By the way people: USE YOUR F&*#ING TURN SIGNALS! Pass the word.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2007, 03:30 PM   #2
foxx26
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 Sport Trac

Are you sure you have a deductible on glass coverage? I've seen a lot of insurane companies that don't charge one.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2007, 03:33 PM   #3
droptop335
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxx26 View Post
Are you sure you have a deductible on glass coverage? I've seen a lot of insurane companies that don't charge one.
Actually, I'm not sure. I just assumed the same deductible applies to the whole car. Will have to check. Thanks!

Appreciate 0
      06-15-2007, 03:37 PM   #4
Ryan(e92)
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG M6 coupe

they might do things differently in Rio Rico. I have never heard of such a thing. Why claim something so inexpensive on your insurance? Bad idea in the long run.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2007, 03:52 PM   #5
droptop335
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan(e92) View Post
they might do things differently in Rio Rico.
Huh?

Appreciate 0
      06-15-2007, 04:02 PM   #6
benwf
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335xi

If you have Comprehensive Coverage, almost all auto insurance carriers now repair (but not replace) the windhsield with no deductible. Note the important word there is repair.

Generally, windshields can be repaired if the damage is on the outside and does not go all the way through, and less then 6 or 8 inches. If it goes all the way through or is very large, it'll need to be replaced.

Often, the insurer will have a glass vendor who will come out and do the repair in your driveway in minutes. If they don't, there are many you can find yourself... e.g., http://www.safelite.com/

-Ben
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2007, 04:21 PM   #7
droptop335
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by benwf View Post
If you have Comprehensive Coverage, almost all auto insurance carriers now repair (but not replace) the windhsield with no deductible. Note the important word there is repair.

Generally, windshields can be repaired if the damage is on the outside and does not go all the way through, and less then 6 or 8 inches. If it goes all the way through or is very large, it'll need to be replaced.

Often, the insurer will have a glass vendor who will come out and do the repair in your driveway in minutes. If they don't, there are many you can find yourself... e.g., http://www.safelite.com/

-Ben
Yeah, this is at least 12 inches, and growing (if only I were so lucky, lol...), so it needs to be replaced. Just called a place, and they said I could use generic or aftermarket glass. They will call me with a quote in a few minutes.

Appreciate 0
      06-15-2007, 04:26 PM   #8
murellus
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 22 x3m40i

+1 on the comprehensive coverage insurers will repair the windshield (get someone to do it i mean)
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2007, 04:39 PM   #9
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

Might just see what the dealer says where you are trading in your car. They can probably get it fixed for less than you can and it may not be a big deal.
      06-15-2007, 04:44 PM   #10
droptop335
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revlis View Post
Might just see what the dealer says where you are trading in your car. They can probably get it fixed for less than you can and it may not be a big deal.
True Revlis, but I'm gonna try and see if I can get more in the private market first. I guess I could show it with the cracked windshield, promising to get it fixed befoe the new owner picks it up.

Appreciate 0
      06-15-2007, 04:58 PM   #11
droptop335
Captain
United_States
Rep

$235, with mobile service. Done deal...

Appreciate 0