E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Getting locked in!

06-15-2007, 05:27 PM   #1
now
Rep
Drives: E92 mb

Getting locked in!

I'm confused by recent threads which show that you can get locked in the E90/92 etc even with the CA option, and not be able to get out of the car.

First of all, when experimenting with my E92, I found out that if I "lock" the car with the CA fob after shutting the driver door, but before closing the (only) passenger door, and throw in the fob and then close the passenger door - which can happen by accident too, according to a recent post - then, even with the CA option, my fob is locked in the car - I am locked out! The CA has allowed me to be locked out! (I thought it was not meant to?).

The only way for me to unlock the car is by using the other fob, or using BMW help.

But more importantly, if you leave the car, but leave someone in it, you can lock them in (by "locking" the car with the fob).

That person can NOT get out of the car without smashing a window (and what could they use for that?). Suggestions in other threads that you could use the central locking button or pull up the manual lock in the door etc just don't work if the driver leaves the car after switching the engine off.

Or is there another way for the "locked in" passenger to get out?
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2007, 06:27 PM   #2
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

they can reach through the pass through in the rear seat, and activate the folding rear seat. once they get in the trunk they can pull the glow in the dark handle and escape!

if their arm is long enough and the car has folding rear seats that is
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2007, 06:32 PM   #3
smellthebeans
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: LPCs

Garage List
1990 325i  [0.00]
much discussed topic....

simply if you lock someone in....they push the unlock dash button while simultaneously pulling on the door handles. The door will unlock
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2007, 06:33 PM   #4
ward
Major General
Rep
Drives: F

my way would be way funnier to watch
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2007, 06:38 PM   #5
Revlis
Now With 33% MORE Sarcasm Free!
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4 i3 X3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ward View Post
my way would be way funnier to watch
True...
      06-15-2007, 07:37 PM   #6
astra
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW 325Ci Individual

Garage List
that's a sucky thing that bmw so needs to get worked out... my father's car has CA and it won't allow him to lock his key in the car
      06-15-2007, 07:38 PM   #7
Lassaxi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: April ED - E90 328xi

Push the unlock button on the dash and pull a front door handle twice. The door will open.
      06-16-2007, 03:28 PM   #8
now
Rep
Drives: E92 mb

Thanks for your answers. I'm still chuckling over the vision of someone diving under the back seats and popping out of the trunk moments later in Houdini fashion (probably with a shout of "Surprise!").

Anyway, though I thought I had tried the various methods you mention above already, I tried them again, but they just don't work. Once locked in the car, and the driver with the fob (who has completely shut down the engine) has walked away with the fob, leaving you with nothing, as far as I can see, you are stuck there in the car... to perish.

Now, I am talking about E92 here, European NOT US specs. And with CA.

Lassaxi's method works when you have centrally locked the car from the inside, but try it in the case I have laid out, and it won't work (maybe in the US version it will?).
smellthebeans method looked promising because it looked out of the ordinary, but sadly that doesn't work either.

And now I've read in a more recent thread that you can't activate the folding seats in a E92 from the inside in any case - you have to pull the handles from inside the trunk. I hope that's not true as I was hoping to replicate the suggested Houdini trick.

Adding to the problem is that the glow in the dark handle in the trunk is considered an optional thing in Europe and is not in some E92s anyway.

Suggestions?

By the way, on that other point, you can't lock yourself out by locking with the fob and subsequently shutting the driver door after leaving the fob in the car (the driver door won't lock), nor by slamming the fob in the trunk (because it opens up again, well, in most cases - though not all, it seems), but the combination that concerned me was when you locked with the fob after closing the driver door and then closed the passenger door after leaving the fob in the car (which might have happened to the Toronto couple with the 3 year old daughter). I haven't found anyone whose CA system reopens the car in that particular case yet - meaning, you get locked out....astra, does your father's car not lock in that situation?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2007, 09:43 AM   #9
Lassaxi
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: April ED - E90 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by now View Post
Thanks for your answers. I'm still chuckling over the vision of someone diving under the back seats and popping out of the trunk moments later in Houdini fashion (probably with a shout of "Surprise!").

Anyway, though I thought I had tried the various methods you mention above already, I tried them again, but they just don't work. Once locked in the car, and the driver with the fob (who has completely shut down the engine) has walked away with the fob, leaving you with nothing, as far as I can see, you are stuck there in the car... to perish.

Now, I am talking about E92 here, European NOT US specs. And with CA.

Lassaxi's method works when you have centrally locked the car from the inside, but try it in the case I have laid out, and it won't work (maybe in the US version it will?).
smellthebeans method looked promising because it looked out of the ordinary, but sadly that doesn't work either.

And now I've read in a more recent thread that you can't activate the folding seats in a E92 from the inside in any case - you have to pull the handles from inside the trunk. I hope that's not true as I was hoping to replicate the suggested Houdini trick.

Adding to the problem is that the glow in the dark handle in the trunk is considered an optional thing in Europe and is not in some E92s anyway.

Suggestions?

By the way, on that other point, you can't lock yourself out by locking with the fob and subsequently shutting the driver door after leaving the fob in the car (the driver door won't lock), nor by slamming the fob in the trunk (because it opens up again, well, in most cases - though not all, it seems), but the combination that concerned me was when you locked with the fob after closing the driver door and then closed the passenger door after leaving the fob in the car (which might have happened to the Toronto couple with the 3 year old daughter). I haven't found anyone whose CA system reopens the car in that particular case yet - meaning, you get locked out....astra, does your father's car not lock in that situation?
I don't know if the difference is that I have an E90, or a U.S. spec car, or no comfort access, but if the my car is locked from the outside with the keyfob, with the engine off, I can push the unlock botton and pull a front door handle twice, and the door opens. It is not possible to lock someone inside my car.