E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > "Engine Malfunction! Reduced Power" Warning Message

06-16-2007, 12:26 PM   #1
AZ-BMW
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 E93 w/DCT

Question "Engine Malfunction! Reduced Power" Warning Message

Re-Delivery was Thursday (only 754 EU miles) and on Friday started my first U.S. road trip over to San Diego. Got to Yuma and a warning message popped-up in my Navi display: Engine Malfunction! Reduced Power. Immediately the engine felt like it had lost 1-2 cylinders. Limped back to Phoenix and took it into the closest Dealer. Initial feedback is a failed injector or the infamous high pressure fuel pump. BTW, no BMW dealer between Phoenix and Yuma the way I drove yesterday.

After some research in the Parts Dept I understand the 335i fuel injectors have been superceded by a newer version. My car was manufactured in March 2007, so I had assumed I would have the latest version injector, but maybe not. Won't know until Monday what caused the error message and failed car.

For those of you that have had the injector changed, did the Dealer just replace the failed injector or all 6 of them?
Rationale: If 1 failed, eventually it would seem like the other 5 are at high risk (and I don't want to screwup another vacation trip).

2009 AW M3 E93 - Black Novillo|DCT|ZTP|ZPP|752 Enh Audio|4UT|Heated Seats|6FL|6NF|
For jpg's: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...=186382&page=4
Traded: 2007 335i E93
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2007, 12:48 PM   #2
iatacs19
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO M4

it's the fuel pump.
      06-16-2007, 12:56 PM   #3
Bimmerforlife
Major
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

dang were hearing more March build dates now having this issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2007, 01:29 PM   #4
iatacs19
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmerforlife View Post
dang were hearing more March build dates now having this issue.
yeah, I think maybe 2500-3000 miles is the time when they start to go...
      06-16-2007, 08:26 PM   #5
AZ-BMW
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by iatacs19 View Post
it's the fuel pump.
Actually, the Tech troubleshot it to most likely be an injector for 1 cylinder, but they couldn't do anything about it until Monday. Apparently there are not a lot of the new injectors in the inventory system; and I've heard they cost ~$500 each (high pressure fuel pumps are ~$2K). He said he didn't think it was the fuel pump because the car was running in Fail Safe Mode OK; sluggish, no real power, but able to limp back to the dealer.
[BTW, my car was built mid-March; week 12]

Anyone out there with a 335i had an injector problem? If so, any specifics?

2009 AW M3 E93 - Black Novillo|DCT|ZTP|ZPP|752 Enh Audio|4UT|Heated Seats|6FL|6NF|
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2007, 08:55 PM   #6
johnc_22
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-BMW View Post
Actually, the Tech troubleshot it to most likely be an injector for 1 cylinder, but they couldn't do anything about it until Monday. Apparently there are not a lot of the new injectors in the inventory system; and I've heard they cost ~$500 each (high pressure fuel pumps are ~$2K). He said he didn't think it was the fuel pump because the car was running in Fail Safe Mode OK; sluggish, no real power, but able to limp back to the dealer.
[BTW, my car was built mid-March; week 12]

Anyone out there with a 335i had an injector problem? If so, any specifics?
Didn't Siemens make both the fuel pumps and the injectors . . .?

I'm guessing BMW is regretting Siemens as a vendor at this point (or months ago).
      06-16-2007, 11:12 PM   #7
e92man
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: modded e92 335i coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnc_22 View Post
Didn't Siemens make both the fuel pumps and the injectors . . .?

I'm guessing BMW is regretting Siemens as a vendor at this point (or months ago).
yea really, +1. i'm hearing of more and more issues with the 335 lately. i hope that i made the right choice by ordering a coupe
e92 335i jet black, coral red, aluminum, sport, step, paddles, heated seats, pdc, bmw aluminum pedals, oem aero kit front lip, 19' miro type 366 hamann race edition reps, H&R sport springs, 15% tints, vorsteiner rear deck spoiler, custom front pdc

"The only cars that should be yellow are taxi cabs and school busses."
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2007, 11:19 AM   #8
AZ-BMW
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92man View Post
yea really, +1. i'm hearing of more and more issues with the 335 lately. i hope that i made the right choice by ordering a coupe
Well I'm still sold on the 335i Vert, if I get it back in a reasonable time, but I guess I should start a spreadsheet to collect the failure days in case I need to pull a Lemmon Law trigger in the future
Also, now I think I will actually consider purchasing the extended warranty

Appreciate 0
      06-17-2007, 12:35 PM   #9
bmw0perat0r
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M4 Austin Yellow

nearly 5100 miles on my march build 07' 335xi - no problems (knock on wood). Sorry to hear about the frustrating vacation problem...i'm sure that was a huge hassle.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2007, 01:00 PM   #10
nick@cunninghamBMW
Rep
Drives: I work with lots of BMWs

Parts fail, it happens. I doubt you could claim lemon law because the parts are on backorder. Lemon law applies when the vehicle cannot be fixed in a certain period of time, not parts on backorder.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2007, 01:13 PM   #11
greatbm
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G15 840i Coupe

Just got my car back from dealers 325 vert same as US 328 with high pressure direct injection, no5 injector defective had to wait 7 days for replacement. Car lost all power and was missing, limped home with engine light lit. Alls well now but it was my concern that if BMW have changed for reliability reasons there is a liklihood that others could fail in future.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2007, 01:16 PM   #12
kellie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 WRX, 1988 325iX

Quote:
Well I'm still sold on the 335i Vert, if I get it back in a reasonable time, but I guess I should start a spreadsheet to collect the failure days in case I need to pull a Lemmon Law trigger in the future
Also, now I think I will actually consider purchasing the extended warranty
Why would you buy a car that you may want to have bought back? It sounds to me like you actually want the car to have issues so that you can start trouble. I can't think of any other reason for you to start a spreadsheet documenting problems with your car. Why would you want to claim lemon law on it? I just don't understand that. If you're so concerned, buy something Japanese.

When you buy a car during its first year (or few years in BMW's case) of production, things like this are risks you SHOULD be willing to take. If you can't deal with the possibility of failed parts, then absolutely, positively, DO NOT buy an E93 335i because you WILL have problems with it. You've got a brand new engine in a car with a newly designed, extremely complicated mechanical roof and you expect it to be perfect? No way.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2007, 01:30 PM   #13
nick@cunninghamBMW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellie View Post
Why would you buy a car that you may want to have bought back? It sounds to me like you actually want the car to have issues so that you can start trouble. I can't think of any other reason for you to start a spreadsheet documenting problems with your car. Why would you want to claim lemon law on it? I just don't understand that. If you're so concerned, buy something Japanese.

When you buy a car during its first year (or few years in BMW's case) of production, things like this are risks you SHOULD be willing to take. If you can't deal with the possibility of failed parts, then absolutely, positively, DO NOT buy an E93 335i because you WILL have problems with it. You've got a brand new engine in a car with a newly designed, extremely complicated mechanical roof and you expect it to be perfect? No way.
thank you
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2007, 05:20 PM   #14
iatacs19
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Every person expects their NEW car to be relatively trouble free. If a car is in the shop for 30 days or longer then it's considered a lemon. That's why they have laws to protect consumers.
      06-17-2007, 06:57 PM   #15
nick@cunninghamBMW
Rep

Quote:
Every person expects their NEW car to be relatively trouble free. If a car is in the shop for 30 days or longer then it's considered a lemon. That's why they have laws to protect consumers.
We know what the lemon law is, the point we're making is that the lemon law applys to a car that has had REPEATED problems to that one particular car. This 335 fuel pump issue does not fall under lemon law because the vehicles CAN be fixed, the parts are on backorder preventing that. We've had a couple 335s for about 6 weeks waiting for pumps.

Defenition of Lemon Law
http://www.yourlemonlawrights.com/st...California.htm
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2007, 07:06 PM   #16
kellie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Every person expects their NEW car to be relatively trouble free.
Of course, but everyone should also have enough common sense to know not to buy a car the first year of production and expect it to be perfect. Especially a car that is at the height of technology. When you buy a car like the E93 this early on, you are basically doing R&D for BMW. There is only so much the engineers can do to test the car before they release it. It will be a year or two before they get all the major kinks worked out, but I'm sure you guys have figured that out by now.

Quote:
If a car is in the shop for 30 days or longer then it's considered a lemon. That's why they have laws to protect consumers.
Yes, there are laws to protect consumers, so there is no need to keep a spreadsheet. It sounded to me like AZ-BMW just wants to stir up trouble.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2007, 07:13 PM   #17
iatacs19
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, there are laws to protect consumers, so there is no need to keep a spreadsheet. It sounded to me like AZ-BMW just wants to stir up trouble.
      06-17-2007, 07:48 PM   #18
AZ-BMW
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Wow, your very 1st post and it was a Flamer! Welcome to e90post.

Actually if you noticed the "confused2" graphic () next to my Lemmon Law comment, you'd have recognized the comment as Sarcasm (else why would I be considering the extended warranty, if I'm just looking for reasons to return it). Although some folks on this forum have made very heated comments about this fuel pump and/or injector problem.

BTW, I didn't expect the car to be "perfect," but I did expect it not to fail 1 day after re-delivery (ie, I really don't think that is too much to ask from a ~$55K vehicle [from any country]). Guess you dealer employees like to stick together.

Last edited by AZ-BMW; 06-17-2007 at 07:50 PM.. Reason: edit
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2007, 07:57 PM   #19
kellie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Wow, your very 1st post and it was a Flamer! Welcome to e90post.

Actually if you noticed the "confused2" graphic () next to my Lemmon Law comment, you'd have recognized the comment as Sarcasm (else why would I be considering the extended warranty, if I'm just looking for reasons to return it). Although some folks on this forum have made very heated comments about this fuel pump and/or injector problem.

BTW, I didn't expect the car to be "perfect," but I did expect it not to fail 1 day after re-delivery (ie, I really don't think that is too much to ask from a ~$55K vehicle [from any country]). Guess you dealer employees like to stick together.
Haha, I knew it was a matter of time before someone would point out how nice I was in my first post on the forum. AZ-BMW, I didn't (and still don't) know the story behind your car, but from what you said in your post, I agree that your car shouldn't have had issues one day after re-delivery. I apologize for missing the sarcasm in your post, I really need to work on my smiley comprehension.

And yes, us dealership employees stick together. We wouldn't get very far if we didn't. Based on what I've read around here, we're the enemy and the only reason the dealer exists in the first place is to rip you off and screw up your car.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2007, 08:03 PM   #20
johnc_22
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335i

Quote:
Why would you buy a car that you may want to have bought back? It sounds to me like you actually want the car to have issues so that you can start trouble.
He never said anything of the sort.
      06-17-2007, 08:14 PM   #21
Critter Fixer
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe (Space Grey, Red)

High Pressure Pump

So I took delivery of my 335i coupe in sept. The firtst night i had it i noticed the oil level falling. It turns out the rear main seal was defective. Took it back to dealer and they repaired it within 3 days. Within 1 month the infamous half illuminated transmission light came on. I was a bit troubled. Took it back to the dealer and they said that it was the fact that there was low fuel??? Suspect!! They cleared the codes and gave me the car back within 2 days. Within 2 weeks the same light came on. I was beginning to get annoyed. They had the car again for another 7 days. The SA said that they tested the fuel and updated the software version in the car. The next month the same light. I was pissed at this point. They kept the car for another week. Now it Dec. and i would hope by now they know what the hell is going on. A replacement HPP never was mentioned to me or even a problem with them. Its now June and the car has been in the shop 6 previous times. I have recieved a replacement pump last week and 2 days later THE DAMN THING FAILED AGAIN!!! Took it back, called BMWNA, and the finance center. Told the SA i dont want the car back, told the sales manager, to get a dealer assist or a new car (he actually told me to not accept the car repaired), and told BMW NA to stop telling me that they dont know of any other problems like this. Seriously, is BMW NA ignorant to this matter?? Have any of you had a second pump fail?? Why arent they issueing a recall? This just is frustrating!!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2007, 08:27 PM   #22
ACZakka325i
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2 stroke

Quote:
Originally Posted by Critter Fixer View Post
So I took delivery of my 335i coupe in sept. The firtst night i had it i noticed the oil level falling. It turns out the rear main seal was defective. Took it back to dealer and they repaired it within 3 days. Within 1 month the infamous half illuminated transmission light came on. I was a bit troubled. Took it back to the dealer and they said that it was the fact that there was low fuel??? Suspect!! They cleared the codes and gave me the car back within 2 days. Within 2 weeks the same light came on. I was beginning to get annoyed. They had the car again for another 7 days. The SA said that they tested the fuel and updated the software version in the car. The next month the same light. I was pissed at this point. They kept the car for another week. Now it Dec. and i would hope by now they know what the hell is going on. A replacement HPP never was mentioned to me or even a problem with them. Its now June and the car has been in the shop 6 previous times. I have recieved a replacement pump last week and 2 days later THE DAMN THING FAILED AGAIN!!! Took it back, called BMWNA, and the finance center. Told the SA i dont want the car back, told the sales manager, to get a dealer assist or a new car (he actually told me to not accept the car repaired), and told BMW NA to stop telling me that they dont know of any other problems like this. Seriously, is BMW NA ignorant to this matter?? Have any of you had a second pump fail?? Why arent they issueing a recall? This just is frustrating!!

Yea... I have now decided not to upgrade to the 335i any time soon.
(Waitlist): #1 M2CSL
(Current): 2016 F15 X5 3.5xdrive - 2010 997.2 C4S Coupe
(Past): 2016 F30 340xi M-Sport -2013 535i xdrive
2008 E92 M3 - 2006 E90 325i
2002 E46 325xi - 1991 E30 325i
Appreciate 0