E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > the UNLUCKIST 335 owner...action must be taken

06-16-2007, 02:41 PM   #1
smoothoperator
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 335ci

the UNLUCKIST 335 owner...action must be taken

Well my fuel pump gave out on May 10 in rush hour traffic...i got it towed and everything and eventually was told i was going to get a new car, only downside is that is was gonna take 10 weeks to get here. After my original 335 was fixed with the "new and improved" fuel pump, my dealer gave it to me drive around until my new car was in( this was yesterday)...I guess they needed their loaner back. I continuously asked my dealer if they had checked the car entirely to make sure everything was ok and they ensured me that everything was fine. That same night I was heading to dinner with 3 other people in my car and as I was traveling in high speeds the fuel pump indicator light turns on, the car loses all its power, and I also heard a very loud noise come from the car...the car was fully trembling. Something was dragging from the bottom of my car. I was in the left lane of the freeway, a couple of cars had to swerve to miss me being that i was only going around 20 mph. The people in my car were actually clients of mine, and we had to end up waiting 1.5 hours to have the tow truck come in and get picked up from someone else. When i looked under the car, there was a piece hanging and due the the air hitting it, it was scraping on the floor.

I was put in a very dangerous situation in the hands of BMW and their service technicians for not properly fixing my car and putting my life and those who were in my car at risk. There is a big time liability in the hands of BMW for putting my life at risk for the second time in less than two months. Something must be done to have BMW realize and start taking action of this extremely important issue before something very serious happens to an owner.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2007, 02:53 PM   #2
1clean335i
Perf BMW mag issue 147, 159
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: Project Estoril

Garage List
sorry about your situation man.... that totally sucks.... it sounds like the tech who worked on your car didnt put everything back together if something fell off... keep us updated on what happened
      06-16-2007, 03:32 PM   #3
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
So how are you getting a new car because of the fuel pump issue?
      06-16-2007, 03:47 PM   #4
smoothoperator
Registered
Rep

it was in the shop for over 30 days, i can get a lawyer since the lemon law does apply...but they just went ahead and did a deal buyback where i get a brand new one with some added options...im really contemplating even getting a new one, fuel pump issues still continue to spark up everyday even with march build dates
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2007, 04:41 PM   #5
ScottyGams
Uber-Lee7 Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

sucks bro... my condolences. What can I say other then keep on marching in there screaming until you get a loaded car from the GM. I always try to make the best of a bad situation.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2007, 08:11 PM   #6
Crazy Bimmer
The Jesal
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
Why would you keep driving at 20mph? Why not pull over for your safety?
      06-16-2007, 09:44 PM   #7
Pedal2Floor
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i Euro Delivery Fall 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothoperator View Post
Well my fuel pump gave out on May 10 in rush hour traffic...i got it towed and everything and eventually was told i was going to get a new car, only downside is that is was gonna take 10 weeks to get here. After my original 335 was fixed with the "new and improved" fuel pump, my dealer gave it to me drive around until my new car was in( this was yesterday)...I guess they needed their loaner back. I continuously asked my dealer if they had checked the car entirely to make sure everything was ok and they ensured me that everything was fine. That same night I was heading to dinner with 3 other people in my car and as I was traveling in high speeds the fuel pump indicator light turns on, the car loses all its power, and I also heard a very loud noise come from the car...the car was fully trembling. Something was dragging from the bottom of my car. I was in the left lane of the freeway, a couple of cars had to swerve to miss me being that i was only going around 20 mph. The people in my car were actually clients of mine, and we had to end up waiting 1.5 hours to have the tow truck come in and get picked up from someone else. When i looked under the car, there was a piece hanging and due the the air hitting it, it was scraping on the floor.

I was put in a very dangerous situation in the hands of BMW and their service technicians for not properly fixing my car and putting my life and those who were in my car at risk. There is a big time liability in the hands of BMW for putting my life at risk for the second time in less than two months. Something must be done to have BMW realize and start taking action of this extremely important issue before something very serious happens to an owner.
File a complaint with NHSTA
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2007, 12:41 AM   #8
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedal2Floor View Post
File a complaint with NHSTA
Better yet, NHTSA (National Highway Traffic Safety Administration).
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2007, 12:43 AM   #9
AgsWin
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 Frozen Dark Grey M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Bimmer View Post
Why would you keep driving at 20mph? Why not pull over for your safety?
The fact that he said he was travelling ta high speed and the fact that he lives in LA would indicate he was on the freeway, and on the freeway, going 70, when you hear a loud nosie and your car starts to tremble, you just react.

Now before you make another idiotic, judgemental statement like you did above, use some common sense.

Do you think he should have immediately swerved across 4 or 5 lines of traffic at full speed to the shoulder?

Or maybe, slow down (like he did), and work his way across the freeway safely?
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2007, 01:18 AM   #10
Crazy Bimmer
The Jesal
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [0.00]
For one, I didnt make a statement... it was a question. If i was in the same situation and driving on the freeway when my car lost power... i would calmly make my way over the shoulder with the power that was left. Who said anything about using full speed, we do have brakes and that can be lightly used to slow down. Crazy invention.

Happens all the time with people when they get flat tires. Nothing new here and I have experienced it a few time as well. Even lost full power when my coilpacks blew on my a4 while on the expressway. Granted I dont know if in LA the freeways have shoulders on both sides, but we do. So its easy for us to get off the road when needed. My main goal in that situation is to stay calm and move out of the way of others safely. Doing 20mph in the left lane while other cars flying up behind you doing 70+ isnt safe.

I made the assumption he was driving 20mph for a bit in the left lane and that might not have been the case. Which is why i asked questions about the situation in hopes he could give us more detail.
      06-17-2007, 01:26 AM   #11
karliejai
Da Kid
United_States
Rep
Drives: JetBlack e90 335i

sue them lol

MODS: OEM Front Splitter | ACS Roof Spoiler | OEM Trunk Spoiler | Matt Black Front Grill | Black Shadowline Window Trim | Painted Front Lower Rod | Blacklines | JDM Yellow Fogs | Custom Silver CF Headlights with LUX 4.0 | Eisenhaus Sports Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2007, 06:47 AM   #12
Hound Passer
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 435i Convertible

Quote:
im really contemplating even getting a new one, fuel pump issues still continue to spark up everyday even with march build dates
I think the new 335i's have Bosch fuel pumps. The bad ones are Siemens.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2007, 10:00 AM   #13
scottmandu
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

My pump also failed on May 21st. Since then, my SA and I talked almost daily and I sent several emails to BMWNA through the Owners Circle site. After only three weeks, I finally pick my e92 up last Thursaday. The dealer and Rep from BMWNA were great. Got a 5 Series as a loaner and was even fortunate enough to get my lease payment made. If you still are without your vehicle, try my method and see what happens. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2007, 01:05 PM   #14
e46hijinks
E46
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 E46 325ci 5MT

Quote:

You sure you're not an Infiniti troll trying to make a bad name for BMW? New member... 335ici designation under your user name.. hopefully it's a typo. I don't see a car being in the shop for over 30 days for a fuel pump.
      06-17-2007, 01:29 PM   #15
IMJUSS2NASTY
Banned
Rep
Drives: BMW 335I MONTEGO BLUE

Sue Them, I Think My Freakin Tranny Just Went Wtf!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2007, 03:28 PM   #16
The Cleaner
Thats all you need to know.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 , 2016 X5

The noise from under the car could have been something you hit, the fuel pump is not accessed from under the car, there is no need to remove anything from there.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2007, 04:34 PM   #17
nick@cunninghamBMW
Rep
Drives: I work with lots of BMWs

Quote:

How did you know it was the fuel pump indicator? What was hanging from the bottom of the car? I doubt you would of been in a "dangerous" situation if you hadn't been in the fast lane at 20 mph with clients in the car.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2007, 04:34 PM   #18
ScottyGams
Uber-Lee7 Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by karliejai View Post
sue them lol
OF COURSE short hills would say to sue them

(NJ inside joke)
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2007, 04:57 PM   #19
Henrysko
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick@cunninghamBMW View Post
How did you know it was the fuel pump indicator? What was hanging from the bottom of the car? I doubt you would of been in a "dangerous" situation if you hadn't been in the fast lane at 20 mph with clients in the car.
Apparently you haven't driven the freeways in So. Cal. They did away with the inside emergency lane on most of our roads quite some time ago. 20-mph in the fast lane, or in any other lane, definitely is not a fun time.
Smoothoperator - we're sorry to hear about your troubles. Hopefully BMW does right by you. We just got our car back, after 9 weeks of being at the dealership awaiting a high-pressure fuel pump. For all of those who haven't had to wait that long, good for you. For the rest of us, we hang in there because we love the cars that we bought.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2007, 07:00 PM   #20
nick@cunninghamBMW
Rep
Drives: I work with lots of BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrysko View Post
Apparently you haven't driven the freeways in So. Cal. They did away with the inside emergency lane on most of our roads quite some time ago. 20-mph in the fast lane, or in any other lane, definitely is not a fun time.
Smoothoperator - we're sorry to hear about your troubles. Hopefully BMW does right by you. We just got our car back, after 9 weeks of being at the dealership awaiting a high-pressure fuel pump. For all of those who haven't had to wait that long, good for you. For the rest of us, we hang in there because we love the cars that we bought.
I live in SoCal.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2007, 07:06 PM   #21
wj4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 manual 335i

Quote:
I don't see a car being in the shop for over 30 days for a fuel pump.
The install itself takes only a couple of hours but the part is or was heavily on back order. Search the forum...there are people waiting from 2-3 months for the pump to get in.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2007, 09:48 PM   #22
smoothoperator
Registered
Rep

i guess i wasn't clear enough, i was in the carpool lane, the car slowed down on its own when the light that came on the first time around came on again and something was being dragged, thats why i had no choice but to go around that speed. it was very hard to go any faster. and fyi i am a new member just cuz i wanted to vent to you guys, i had a august built 335.
Appreciate 0