E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - NY / NJ / CT / PA > Pulled over for speeding, got a ticket for expired insurance - but it was valid

04-14-2012, 01:22 AM   #1
xtac
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 F80 Comp

Pulled over for speeding, got a ticket for expired insurance - but it was valid

Long story short, cop pulls me over as i turn on my block. I was going little under 90 in a 40 just from the previou light. Wasn't clocked or anything. He asks do you know the speed limit im like yeah.hes like i was doing atleast 80 ANyhow I had an invalid insurance card in the glove, i sometimes just throw new ones in there without throwing out the old(not anymore), so he comes back and writes me up for expired ins and says im lucky he didn't write me up for speeding. He refused to acknowledge the other valid insurance card, and was a prick about it.

Thought I got off lucky, but I come to find out in nassau its a $750 fine + if you plead guilty you loose your license for one year. I was planning on pleading guilty if it was 50 or something just to avoid court and hassles. But fuck that.

Anyone have experience in this? I'll send in my not guilty plea along with my valid insurance card + a copy from my ins that says on that time it was valid just in case. Online it says court is mandatory but we'll see. Hoping someone else dealt with this, the possible outcome of no lic for year is not something i want to take lightly, I guess worse comes to worse I'll lawyer up but hopefully they dismiss it when I send in my plea.
      04-14-2012, 02:25 AM   #2
RevC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: a couple fast toys

OK wait, so you had a valid insurance card, but gave him an invalid card? i'm pretty sure if you have that card in your possesion and show the officer, he can't legally cite you for that. if he didn't acknowledge it, that's unjust and you can get him in big,big trouble. any other details? that's the only part im not understanding, it's his duty to make sure the citations he writes are accurate, so why would he write you a ticket KNOWING you have a valid card, that's blasphemy. "you're lucky i didn't cite you for speeding" means "i'm unlucky i could not get a meter readout on your actual speed". meter readouts, calibration records are something you can request and he can not turn down. however cops favor other cops, cops word over yours in all cases will prevail no matter what, its how our penile system works for the most part, inherently flawed as it is. there's a sparse amount of "just" in our justice system, especially where you live. they do not play around. We all know what goes on and we are well aware of it every day, we know how the definition of authority varies and how much it can be abused. it is always up to their discretion, anything from speed to plate obstructions. know your rights. secondly, why 90 in a 40? i digress. drive as you please. do the below, errr^^well above first. then get in contact with a lawyer if neccesary, in most cases they will drop if they acknowledge your insurance card was dated and valid prior to your issuing officer citing you. hell you could even try requesting the dash cam, though i doubt incriminating evidence against a police officer would ever make it to the court. not trying to be an asshole, but that's my two cents and how i would handle it, slow the fugg down or invest in some lazer shifters, they work

SGM e92 335xi|Helix|AFE|AWE|PROCEDE|SYNAPSE|ER|OSS|BMW PERFORMANCE|P3|always growing..

Last edited by RevC; 04-14-2012 at 02:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 05:57 AM   #3
Erockdaface234
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 340 AW/IR Msport

Garage List
2011 335is  [10.00]
2011 335is  [10.00]
2011 335is  [9.00]
I don't know what planet u live on this is New York. There is no such thing as requesting dash cams or readouts of the laser tagging your car for a speed. This isn't criminal court and u aren't on trial it's traffic court otherwise known as kangeroo court very basic and simple. As for the insurance ticket it can be dismissed very easily with a copy of ur valid insurance card stating u were insured at time of stop. Furthermore slow the fugg down.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 06:14 AM   #4
Noah@CamberToe
E90Post Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 X Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erockdaface234 View Post
I don't know what planet u live on this is New York. There is no such thing as requesting dash cams or readouts of the laser tagging your car for a speed. This isn't criminal court and u aren't on trial it's traffic court otherwise known as kangeroo court very basic and simple. As for the insurance ticket it can be dismissed very easily with a copy of ur valid insurance card stating u were insured at time of stop. Furthermore slow the fugg down.
+1
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 06:19 AM   #5
pits200
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i X-Drive Black Sapphire

Quote:
Just so you know, most states you do have a right to the dash cam video. It is considered public record. Why do you think when I got pulled over for speeding 15 over, i was getting letters from attorneys to help defend my ticket.

Just like bankruptcy its public record. I don't know NY law but here in PA if you make a request to the Right to Know website they will help you get the dash cam off a cruiser. Ask me how I know.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 06:52 AM   #6
Noah@CamberToe
United_States
Rep

all you really have to do is go to court with your proof of insurance and a specific letter stating that you were covered at the time of the ticket and it will be dismissed, you really dont need a lawyer for this at all. its so common that your insurance agent will have a letter already drafted for this exact thing
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 10:36 AM   #7
Erockdaface234
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 335is  [10.00]
2011 335is  [10.00]
2011 335is  [9.00]
Let me guess u fought a ticket and won wow!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 10:51 AM   #8
RevC
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pits200 View Post
Just so you know, most states you do have a right to the dash cam video. It is considered public record. Why do you think when I got pulled over for speeding 15 over, i was getting letters from attorneys to help defend my ticket.

Just like bankruptcy its public record. I don't know NY law but here in PA if you make a request to the Right to Know website they will help you get the dash cam off a cruiser. Ask me how I know.
+1, yep ask me too.
Quote:

I don't know what planet YOU live on, but here on this one, we all have the same rights and those of us who do know them and how to effectively practice them, don't find ourselves in these situations. what happened to etiquette? cheers,

SGM e92 335xi|Helix|AFE|AWE|PROCEDE|SYNAPSE|ER|OSS|BMW PERFORMANCE|P3|always growing..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 11:08 AM   #9
tofu-
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i Jet Black/Coral Red

sounds to me like he saw the legit card and did you a favor by writing up a ticket that can easily be dismissed.

what's your problem again? he was rude to you?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 11:09 AM   #10
RevC
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tofu- View Post
sounds to me like he saw the legit card and did you a favor by writing up a ticket that can easily be dismissed.

this is what i was thinking, get out of my head..

Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 11:51 AM   #11
Erockdaface234
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 335is  [10.00]
2011 335is  [10.00]
2011 335is  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevC
Quote:

this is what i was thinking, get out of my head..
Yes we all have rights but ur making it sound like his rights were violated. He gave the cop a expired card which in New York if u give a expired card by law he can issue u a summons for uninsured. The ticket is easily dismissible and it could have been a lot worst for the guy since he admitted he was doing 90 in a 40 which he could have had his license suspended and his car impounded had the cop wanted to be a jerk.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 12:33 PM   #12
RevC
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Yes we all have rights but ur making it sound like his rights were violated. He gave the cop a expired card which in New York if u give a expired card by law he can issue u a summons for uninsured. The ticket is easily dismissible and it could have been a lot worst for the guy since he admitted he was doing 90 in a 40 which he could have had his license suspended and his car impounded had the cop wanted to be a jerk.
it just seems some details were left out. if you present an invalid card, if you're nice and show some etiquette and say im sorry sir i had that laying around in my glovebox, here's the valid one, why wouldn't he take it? now if you're yelling at the officer and denying things then i can see that, but whatever. that old ins placard/ paper becomes null and void and i dont understand how if op had a valid card he couldnt just present it to the cop in a nice manner. im in 100% agreement with you on the latter of your statement. i post this statement in every ticket thread i reply to-if there's one thing that i HAVE learned after so many tickets when i was young, its that if you show respect, remorse, and make a valid argument they will work for you. i have police friends and i know that there are some great guys out there but there also half out there that either take the job too far or abuse their power, and we all know that, even my cop buddies say this. you can't tell me you haven't seen a state trooper flying down the highway at 100+ riding bumpers, weaving in and out, but hey its okay for him right?

Last edited by RevC; 04-14-2012 at 12:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 01:21 PM   #13
xtac
Captain
United_States
Rep

No details were left out. In some ways you might think he purposely left me a chance to dissmiss the ticket, but why go through all the trouble of writing out the ticket? he took awhile i'd like to believe he somehow verified my insurance. He did refuse to acknowledge my valid insurance, insisting to interrupt me and tell me would you rather let give you a ticket for speeding. In some ways I feel after looking at the actual penalty of pleading guilty its much worse. 750 fine + 1 year lic revoke. If he had written me a speeding ticket, a lawyer could always get it knocked down, but idk maybe a expired insurance is pretty standard.

Either way it SHOULD be easy to get it dismissed. I'm hoping they dissmis it without even going to court as I will send papers along with my not guilty plea, but this is nassau I see me going to court for it. If I do goto court for it, will the cop tell me he pulled over for speeding? what's his excuse than for not giving me a ticket?

doing 90 in 40 is redic, but again its one block away from my house and I only hit 90 maybe for couple seconds as I stopped for my turn. light to light is less than a half mile.

On pleading not guilty should I request supporting disposition?

Last edited by xtac; 04-14-2012 at 01:29 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 02:49 PM   #14
tofu-
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i Jet Black/Coral Red

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtac View Post
No details were left out. In some ways you might think he purposely left me a chance to dissmiss the ticket, but why go through all the trouble of writing out the ticket? he took awhile i'd like to believe he somehow verified my insurance. He did refuse to acknowledge my valid insurance, insisting to interrupt me and tell me would you rather let give you a ticket for speeding. In some ways I feel after looking at the actual penalty of pleading guilty its much worse. 750 fine + 1 year lic revoke. If he had written me a speeding ticket, a lawyer could always get it knocked down, but idk maybe a expired insurance is pretty standard.

Either way it SHOULD be easy to get it dismissed. I'm hoping they dissmis it without even going to court as I will send papers along with my not guilty plea, but this is nassau I see me going to court for it. If I do goto court for it, will the cop tell me he pulled over for speeding? what's his excuse than for not giving me a ticket?

doing 90 in 40 is redic, but again its one block away from my house and I only hit 90 maybe for couple seconds as I stopped for my turn. light to light is less than a half mile.

you're over thinking this way too much. the ticket will be dismissed as soon as you show proof of valid insurance
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2012, 03:13 PM   #15
xtac
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
you're over thinking this way too much. the ticket will be dismissed as soon as you show proof of valid insurance
yeah no doubt. I also like making a thread incase someone else goes through the same thing always helps.

The letter I just mailed had

1. original ticket w/ not guilty plea
2. letter from geico that stated my insurance was covered
3. check for $15 they require it regardless for admin fees(lol)
4. just a letter from me summarizing events and what i attached

I'll update the thread when they get back to me.
      04-14-2012, 03:14 PM   #16
328i
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E46 ///M

Quote:

I did a quick google search because I didn't think you could get a suspended license for lack of proof of insurance. Here is what I found:

http://www.nassaucountyny.gov/agenci...iolations.html

You were going 90 in a 40, thank the cop because he can visually estimate your speed and its not difficult to see you were speeding if you more than doubled the speed limit.
      04-15-2012, 01:44 AM   #17
Noah@CamberToe
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Let me guess u fought a ticket and won wow!!!!!
yup, thats correct, hope it helped the OP. thanks for your helpful comment.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2012, 10:51 PM   #18
RevC
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

well then i retract my statements and will say wow man, your guy's cops are straight up excuse my french, DOUCHEBAGS. atleast you didnt hit him in the face. you'll be fine.

Appreciate 0