E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Hello

04-18-2012, 09:13 PM   #1
Tito335xi
There's no such thing as speeding.
Rep
Drives: Horse & Buggy

Post Hello

Hello everyone,

I am relatively new to the BMW scene. Recently a buddy of mine bought a 6MT 335i & i fell in love. Previously I was more of an Acura person but that has now changed, lol. I am considering getting a 335xi in the very near future, any suggestions or tips on what I should know when buying a used bimmer? Does it have to be CPO? How many miles is too many miles? etc..
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 09:33 PM   #2
Wilhelm
Private
Rep
Drives: 3281T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tito335xi View Post
any suggestions or tips on what I should know when buying a used bimmer? Does it have to be CPO? How many miles is too many miles? etc..
It doesn't have to be a CPO but it takes a lot of the risk out of buying used. First, they only select cars least likely to fail for CPO, e.g., have maintenance histories, haven't been in an accident, etc. Second, they give a pretty comprehensive inspection to a CPO'd car. Third, they refurbish a lot of things. On my E91 the wheels looked brand new (probably not new, but definitely painted), the paint was perfect, two new tires, and other stuff. Fourth, there is that extra warranty tacked on to the end of the factory warranty.

The number of miles is not near as important as the quality of the miles and who previously owned it.

If it was previously owned by some youngerster who stuck to the factory free maintenance and thrashed it in between factory service, I'd walk. If it was some dude that changed the oil every 7000 miles and mostly put on highway miles, it's a gem.

Turbos are way harder on the oil than the naturally aspirated engines, so 18,000 mile oil change intervals are a disaster waiting to happen. BMW recognizes this somewhat by having an extra check on turbo CPO's, such as pulling off the valve cover and checking for sludge and varnish as stuff.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 09:41 PM   #3
sammy_0559
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 E93 335i  [3.66]
I got mine from the auction had my fingers crossed. Acura isn't bad but nothing compared to a bmw. just know what to look for common 335i problems(search them)

***DISCLAIMER: looking up problems might change your mind on the 335i lol***

and HI
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2012, 11:22 PM   #4
Tito335xi
There's no such thing as speeding.
Rep
Drives: Horse & Buggy

Thanks Wilhelm very useful information. Something that is in warranty 3rd party or otherwise is recommended though right? Cause I've heard that a BMW that isn't under some sort of warranty will cost you an arm and a leg. Is there any truth to this or is it an exaggeration? That is the main reason why I have stayed away from German made vehicles and stuck with Japanese made cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy_0559 View Post

***DISCLAIMER: looking up problems might change your mind on the 335i lol***

and HI
Yeah I have been reading alot about the issues like the HPFP and others which does make me a bit worried, BUT then I remember how fun it is to drive one of these bad boys & I'm like F*CK IT! lol
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 12:32 PM   #5
Doctor///M
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 AUDI RS6

Garage List
2023 Audi RS6 Avant  [0.00]
BMW M2 Competition   [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2015 M3  [9.52]
it's generally agreed that unless you're into DIYs and expensive replacement parts, mfr. warranty of some kind is a must, especially with the 335's. Good luck - it is a great car indeed!!
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 03:28 PM   #6
Wilhelm
Private
Rep
Drives: 3281T

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tito335xi View Post
Something that is in warranty 3rd party or otherwise is recommended though right? Cause I've heard that a BMW that isn't under some sort of warranty will cost you an arm and a leg. Is there any truth to this or is it an exaggeration?
Seri335 is right, there is some truth to the general feeling it's a good idea to have some type of warranty, especially if you're not equipped to do any potential repairs yourself. The labor is expensive because not every corner garage can work on them and the parts are very expensive because they are almost always imported from Germany, tend to be well made and a huge aftermarket has not yet developed.

They are pretty well made and pretty much all of the bugs are worked out within two years into the new generation. But they can be complicated beasts, the less complicated 328i being generally more reliable than the 335i.

The HPFP is definitely not the problem it had been for far too long before BMW did a few things to resolve the problems. It is not something you need to worry about during the first 120,000, the length of a factory extended warranty.

All that being said, they are a car you ought to have at least one time in your life, truly a better driving experience than any other car in their class and they ain't gettin' any less expensive.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2012, 03:37 PM   #7
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Car

Get an 08 or greater year
Appreciate 0