E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Question: encasing the exhaust pipes?

04-23-2012, 05:45 PM   #1
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 M3C xDrive; '13 e92 M3

Garage List
Question: encasing the exhaust pipes?

I was just wondering if this has ever been done. A lot of the newer supercars have the exhaust pipes encased in the rear diffuser. Has anyone done this/is it possible to do with the 3 series? I have the 335is with the performance diffuser (stock) and thought it would look cool. It could look completely dumb, but I haven't tried and haven't seen it done. Here is a picture of the bottom of the diffuser/exhaust pipes:

So, basically, I'm saying something that would box in both exhaust pipes. Kinda like a lip, but for the rear. It wouldn't cover the black part of the diffuser though (where the fins are). Just encase both exhaust pipes. Sorry if I'm explaining this poorly, hopefully some of you guys will catch my drift.

Something kinda like what was done with the R8's exhaust, or the Bentley Continental GT.

Thanks
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 06:14 PM   #2
E90Company
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Car

I know what you are saying. I haven't seen something like that done buty it would be kinda cool
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 06:16 PM   #3
EYE4SPEED
Ex-Diesel Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi SQ5

When I read your description, I immediately thought of the Cayenne GTS - http://993c4s.com/wp-content/uploads...e-gts-rear.jpg

Sorry, too lazy to host the photo.
      04-23-2012, 06:51 PM   #4
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
^Yes, something like that.

Anyone ever done this? And would it even look good on a 3 series? Even with the 335is performance diffuser?
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 07:19 PM   #5
JYohay
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5

All those cars you mention have this done because the tips that you see are not actually exhaust tips. The real exhaust tips stop short about an inch, and the visible tip is just for looks.
On the r8 this is done because there is engine movement under hard shifting and the exhaust if it did protrude out would smack against the edges of the rear bumper wholes.
This would cause the hot exhaust pipes to rub against the paint and damage, or melt the bumper.
Obviously that is a rear engine car, so I'm not really sure why the cayenne and Lexus is-f have them. (isf is the worst offender as you can see the single pipe through the double stacked tips)

I think it would look unique but you would need to make the sideskirts and front bumper just as low as this new rear lip would be. Personally I like the metal showing under, I think it is more aggressive and "raw" but can see why you do not feel the same
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2012, 07:27 PM   #6
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by JYohay View Post
All those cars you mention have this done because the tips that you see are not actually exhaust tips. The real exhaust tips stop short about an inch, and the visible tip is just for looks.
On the r8 this is done because there is engine movement under hard shifting and the exhaust if it did protrude out would smack against the edges of the rear bumper wholes.
This would cause the hot exhaust pipes to rub against the paint and damage, or melt the bumper.
Obviously that is a rear engine car, so I'm not really sure why the cayenne and Lexus is-f have them. (isf is the worst offender as you can see the single pipe through the double stacked tips)

I think it would look unique but you would need to make the sideskirts and front bumper just as low as this new rear lip would be. Personally I like the metal showing under, I think it is more aggressive and "raw" but can see why you do not feel the same
Makes sense. Thanks for the input.

I was just wondering if it had been done or if there were parts for this already. Not something I'm going to be a guinea pig for haha I would definitely need to see it on a 3 series before I decided to do it myself.

As I stated, might look horrible, or just not fit with the look of the 3 series.
Appreciate 0