BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

04-25-2012, 10:52 AM   #1
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

AW, BSM, VO and DY and heat absorption

I start a separate thread regarding this aspect.

What are your experiences. Noticeable difference in hot tempatures ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Small question about the Las Vegas heat.
Any difference experienced inside AW, BSM or VO when you returned to your 1Ms ? AW should resist the heat best, BSM worst. Or is there virtually no difference ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papethova View Post
We didnt have a BSM there.
I do have one observation on this though.
The yellow 1M with dark tinted windows sat all day (5-6hrs, 9 or 10 am to 3pm) in the sun with the windows closed. When the windows were lowered to show the interior for judging we felt a rush of very warm air just escape from the car. It was dramatic.
My VO with no tint sat out there for only about 3 hours (noon to 3pm) with the windows sealed and although it was warm getting into the car it was not unbearable or "hot". An AW sat next to mine for the same amount of time, that car has light tint but I didnt check to see the heat difference there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by b33g33 View Post
It hasn't gotten to the hallacious summer temperatures here in ATL yet, but my BSM is definitely 'warm' after 3-4 hours in direct sunlight with the ambient temperatures between 75-85. I usually feel the need to hit the 'MAX' button on the A/C for a few minutes.
I have 45% SunTek carbon Nano tint all around and 85% in the windscreen, but will probably need to get a sunshade within the next couple of months.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
"How much hotter is a black car than a white car in the sun ?"
http://www.tom-morrow-land.com/tests/cartemp/index.htm
"Executive Summary: The glass temperature (which I assume to be a proxy for interior temperature) varied only 5 to 6 degrees between the black and white cars on average. So I conclude that the interior temperature only varied somewhere in the neighborhood of 5 to 6 degrees. The paint temperature, however, varied by about 55 degrees, which is ten times as much. So it is indeed true that black paint is much hotter than white paint, but the interior of the black car isn't that much warmer than the white car."

"Car Colors For Hot Climates - Dark Cars or Light Cars: Does it Make a Difference ?"
http://phoenix.about.com/od/car/qt/carcolor.htm

"Vehicle Cabin Temperatures Survey"
"The tests showed a consistent difference between temperatures in light coloured vehicles and dark coloured vehicles."
http://www.racq.com.au/__data/assets...abin_temps.pdf

Last edited by Artemis; 04-25-2012 at 11:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 11:01 AM   #2
Powerbeast
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3 RarriRot

You forgot to mention DY
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 11:08 AM   #3
buckeyegirl
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM 1M Coupe:) Jeep for Winter

mythbusters

Mythbusters did a show on this and they did find that a black car was hotter than a white car...... by 10 degrees.

http://mythbustersresults.com/episode38

My question is, would a sunshade make a significant difference over the course of an entire day of say 90 degree temps when the car is in the sun?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 11:09 AM   #4
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerbeast View Post
You forgot to mention DY
Thread title modified.
      04-25-2012, 11:26 AM   #5
Papethova
Banned
Rep
Drives: '08 135/ '11 1M

PB has a black CF roof replacement and I have a black vinyl sheet over my roof. Id guess both of those make a difference in heat absorption.

I wonder if the dark tint absorbs more heat into the glass versus no tint.

PB and I are getting new tints next week, most likely a light ceramic film. That will help reduce variables between our cars for future comparison.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 11:30 AM   #6
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

My previous car before the 1M was a Peugeot 308 CC, a very different car indeed, and it was a metallic white color. It also had a huge, large windscreen, slightly larger feeling space in the front but overall more limited volume inside the car plus a more flattened shape with rounder glass areas. It was also dark black leather inside.

This CC and after a VO 1M experience, together with my previous cars, tought me that it is not really the outside color of the car but the angle of the windscreen, size of the glass areas, existence or absence of a panoramic sunroof and more than anything the inside colors and materials make a car warmer or fresher than the other. For sure a black color car is warmer than an otherwise identical and same model white car but generally speaking other factors add more. In the case of 1M, AW should help, classical and quite vertical (and not so large) windscreen and other similar glass areas and lack of a sunroof are all advantages, especially so if you have a privacy glass or a tint. But a very dark interior with black leather just doesn't help for sure.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 01:32 PM   #7
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

A few more observations.

The greatest discomfort for me has been how much the black leather seats seem to absorb and retain heat. Makes you really wish for ventilated and cooled seats.

It seems reasonable to assume that most of the heat absorption happens via the windscreen and a sunshade would help reflect close to 100% of that energy.

Paps: According to my installer and the Suntek website, the CXP film rejects between 44-59% of "solar energy" which I assume to be roughly comparable to heat rejection (in fact, I would assume that this means somewhat higher rates for pure heat rejection).

http://www.suntekfilms.com/files/826...t_auto_CXP.pdf
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 02:06 PM   #8
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
I had 3M Crystalline installed a few weeks ago just in time to beat the Texas heat. It blocks 97% of infrared light and blocks 60% of the heat coming through your window. I also use the BMW sunshade.

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...omotive_Films/

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 02:08 PM   #9
borabora
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 1 M

2 days ago temperature hit 99 here , my BSM stayed only 15 minutes in the sun , when i opened the door it was hell hot . i can't imagine this summer... last year i had a black E92 and summer was a pain ( had black leather too !! )
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 02:15 PM   #10
lcrain
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 m3, TT-RS

More worried about getting out there and washing it in the Texas heat this summer, going to suck.

I garage at home and work so not too worried about heat absorption. I have 35% carbon-really expensive tint on the windows but I may get a sunscreen too to help keep it cool...
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 02:29 PM   #11
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Einser Rex

I think I found a solution for us folks living in hot climes.

I need to hit Costco for some wrap.

The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 03:13 PM   #12
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by b33g33 View Post
I think I found a solution for us folks living in hot climes.
I need to hit Costco for some wrap.
Nah, with tinting there are already remote control issues (and comfort access ?), so locking the 1M with a tinfoil wrap will be even worse. Try with Post-Its...

Name:  BMW_PostIt.jpg
Views: 876
Size:  114.6 KB
      04-25-2012, 03:55 PM   #13
1SerieStud
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '11 VO 1M (498 of 740)

There is certainly a difference in the way colors absorb/reject heat, some more than others on both accounts.

In the case of a carbon fiber roof, carbon fiber is more along the lines of an insulator, versus the metal roof which serves as a conductor. Therefore, by definition, and all other things being equal, a car equipped with a carbon fiber roof should reject more heat from the roof panel than a car with stock metal roof. The same applies to the different types of window tint - those that are metal-based will have a tendency to conduct heat (allowing the interior to get hotter) as opposed to the ceramic/carbon-based films which will help insulate and reject more heat.

If the yellow car ended up being hotter inside, it's possibly because the paint properties have changed (the car has been repainted and the color, paint thickness, and clear coat thickness all affect how much heat is retained and/or transmitted to the interior of the car), or because the window film is a metallic film, or a possible combination of the aforementioned.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2012, 09:24 PM   #14
///M1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Many

Garage List
I haven't conducted actual tests pre- and post- and formally measured temp differences, but FWIW on my AW after getting a CF roof wrap (and 35% tints) the car's cabin 'feels' a tad warmer when parked under bright sunlight vs. fully stock.
1998 Porsche 993 C4S: Zenith Blue, last aircooled widebody, Bilstein PSS10, Fister II + Fabspeed exhaust
2008 Audi B7 RS 4: Sprint Blue, Audi Exclusive Euro Bucket Interior, Premium+Titanium, many mods
Appreciate 0