BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

05-05-2012, 08:51 AM   #1
roryhw
Rory
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2024 X5 M60i

South Africa - 2012 1M - To Sell or Not to Sell

I recently got an opportunity to get my hands on a brand new 2012 1M in white whilst I wait for my X3 to arrive in August. I've had it for 3 weeks and am conflicted about whether to keep it or sell it before my X3 3.5i M Sport arrives in August.

I have to decide on one of them. Reason I hesitate is because I have a young family and this car is just so crazy that it doesn't really work for family. My wife's car is obviously still the alternative.

Anyway, not sure whether there is a market for the 1M in South Africa.

Any South African's out there interested?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2012, 09:05 AM   #2
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Preliminary question: does your wife fancy the idea of swapping a family car SUV for a sports car ?

Live to tell: I ordered my 1M and subsequently informed my wife. She was kinda "underwhelmed" if you know what I mean. A great woman, dearly loved, but - conscious of the risks/dangers of powerful sports cars - unfortunately not really "sports cars compliant" ("I don't wanna lose ya in an accident").
      05-05-2012, 09:18 AM   #3
roryhw
Rory
United_States
Rep

She's not against my keeping the 1M. The decision is really about whether I want this maniac machine or switch to the more versatile X3 when it comes. X3 will still be a beast but not like the 1M.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2012, 10:39 AM   #4
dossantr
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryhw View Post
I recently got an opportunity to get my hands on a brand new 2012 1M in white whilst I wait for my X3 to arrive in August. I've had it for 3 weeks and am conflicted about whether to keep it or sell it before my X3 3.5i M Sport arrives in August.

I have to decide on one of them. Reason I hesitate is because I have a young family and this car is just so crazy that it doesn't really work for family. My wife's car is obviously still the alternative.

If you had the opportunity to get a 1M means you are a lucky guy. You either had one on order or were on the waiting list since last year. In SA 1M's don't fall out of the sky, many guys want them but can't get one or simply can't afford them as non enthusiastic people buy them and then sell them at a premium (200K above their selling price). You have had yours for 3 weeks so you should know if it is your type of car. If you gonna sell what will you sell it for as i know someone that might be interested?
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2012, 06:30 PM   #5
oman135
Major
Oman
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

If You can keep it , please do !
its a special car
      05-05-2012, 07:29 PM   #6
ozinaldo
Brigadier General
Portugal
Rep
Drives: 1M

If you really appreciate what this car is all about you are gonna keep it anyway, despite everything. If you just wanted to buy a nice and special BMW, then your "logic" will inevitably overcome and you will go for the X3.

I will not sell mine before a very real and serious reason appears (like paying a house or I resign or someone offers me twice or let's make it triple of the price I paid etc.) and I do it, crying and mourning but I will. Otherwise, there is no way that this car can be compared to an X3. X3 is a functional SUV, this is a fun sports car which happens to be surprisingly practical for that category as well.

Ask yourself why you bought this car and you will have your answer.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 04:28 AM   #7
131tch
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i DCT '11

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Don't act stupid, either you braging that u have a 1m or u trying to get a buyer on the forum.
U no in rsa they asking 200k premium

Next time don't buy the car if u don't appreciate it
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 05:19 AM   #8
roryhw
Rory
United_States
Rep

Hey 131tch - chill dude I got the car because I had an opportunity whilst I wait for the X3. I trust that coming and talk to other fans and owners on forums never gets seen as bragging - its about networking with like people isn't it? I am a passionate and long standing BMW customer and my dealer offered it to me. I love the car to bits but I am just not sure about living with it.

I am hearing from you and dossantr that these things are so rare in SA - this shows how special it really is. If I want to sell it I will no doubt do that easily.

Kinda keen to hear from owners what it's like to live with as an every day car. Whats your experience? For instance, does the exhaust tone at 120kph bug you too or do you get used to it? Likewise, the manual gearbox is a blast when on open roads but not so fun in traffic.

What's your experience like?
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 05:24 AM   #9
roryhw
Rory
United_States
Rep

131tch - ignore my question about experience, just saw your drive 135i - so it's different...
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 06:56 AM   #10
bdaddylo
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F80 M3

Garage List
Doesn't sound like you really wanted it to begin with and was looking for an opportunity to profit from a rare BMW. If you don't know if it's a keeper after 3 weeks, then sell it so someone else can enjoy it.

1991 E30 M3/Brilliantrot
2017 F80 M3/AW
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2012, 09:02 AM   #11
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Other question: as you've had your 1M for only 3 weeks, what's its current mileage ? Are you still in break-in period (i.e. sub 1200mls/2000km) ? If finance is not part of your eventual resale equation, it's IMHO rather premature to decide over the resale fate of a sports car that was not offered yet the opportunity to showcase what it's truly capable of, due to respected break-in period restrictions. It's quite a different story if you already allowed the beast to regularly leave its gilded cage. But if your 1M is still in break-in period, make up your mind only after you've spent sufficient time and distance with the "unrestrained" alter ego of your 1M.

Re rather sceptical comments suggesting that a quick 1M resale might be driven by greed, rather than family considerations: I sincerely hope any such suggestion is ill-founded in casu. Hunger is the fuel of greed. Enough is less than the greedy ones need. Though, wrong place over here for the greedy ones.
      05-06-2012, 09:44 AM   #12
131tch
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i DCT '11

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Don't stress my one m arrives in July so I have the best of both worlds, so u can ask me of my experience in august
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 01:52 AM   #13
ghusheshe
135 Addict
South Africa
Rep
Drives: VO 1M

Dude, second hand 1M's have been going for R750K.. Check autotrader, S4 Auto etc. I would take it if mine was not arrivng soon.. Whatever you decide, I hope that you dont regret it..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 11:05 AM   #14
dossantr
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 1M Coupe AW

Quote:
Hey 131tch - chill dude I got the car because I had an opportunity whilst I wait for the X3. I trust that coming and talk to other fans and owners on forums never gets seen as bragging - its about networking with like people isn't it? I am a passionate and long standing BMW customer and my dealer offered it to me. I love the car to bits but I am just not sure about living with it.

I am hearing from you and dossantr that these things are so rare in SA - this shows how special it really is. If I want to sell it I will no doubt do that easily.

Kinda keen to hear from owners what it's like to live with as an every day car. Whats your experience? For instance, does the exhaust tone at 120kph bug you too or do you get used to it? Likewise, the manual gearbox is a blast when on open roads but not so fun in traffic.

What's your experience like?
Loving it to bits. Exhaust tone never bothered me, remember it's a M car. Had an Akrapovic Exhaust fitted to mine now it sounds more awesome. If manual gearbox not fun in traffic you should of taken a135i Auto or DCT. So how much are you asking for your 1M? There is one on the BMW Fanatics forum going for R785 000.

Last edited by dossantr; 05-07-2012 at 11:21 AM.. Reason: spelling
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 03:04 PM   #15
TrickTrick
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 1M

Yeah, honestly the car is a real gem, I use mine everyday. I enjoy the noise and it seems to get louder the longer I have the car. Gearbox is perfect and the car is actually quite "practical" when you consider the rear seats and the size of the boot. Then again, i don't have any kids so how would i know...
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 03:11 PM   #16
1911A145
Captain
Rep
Drives: 135i

Do what YOU want, and what YOU want to drive. She may be a great girl, but after all it is you that has to make the drive.

Case in point. I know many friends who sold off all there nice cars, houses, guns, etc, to be with there great girl or wife and after a few years she was gone with all the money and nice things that she wanted over the years and you are left with the mini van and a broken ego.

lol... Im not saying that it will also happen to you, but if she loves you she will live with what you buy and not gripe too much. I say If you like the M then keep it. As others have said, they are near impossible to get a hold of.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 02:14 AM   #17
antoniosa
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2016 AY M3 F80

Garage List
@ roryhw. You got this opportunity (1M) while waiting for your X3?? So this car was not ordered for you? Count yourself VERY fortunate/privelaged/special as there is a waiting list for 1M's at every dealer........
If I may ask, which dealership did you buy this car from?
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 04:10 AM   #18
Ascari
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '11 AW 1M - 08 X3 MSport 3.0D

I use mine everyday and love it. I have a 2 year old daughter who loves it to; it is amazingly practical, but to be fair I have an X3 too. If I had to have only one car, well, probably not sadly; would go for M3 sedan, 335 touring, or....yep, 3.0d MSport x3 (in that order)
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 01:21 PM   #19
LOVEM
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 1m VO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911A145 View Post
Do what YOU want, and what YOU want to drive. She may be a great girl, but after all it is you that has to make the drive.

Case in point. I know many friends who sold off all there nice cars, houses, guns, etc, to be with there great girl or wife and after a few years she was gone with all the money and nice things that she wanted over the years and you are left with the mini van and a broken ego.

lol... Im not saying that it will also happen to you, but if she loves you she will live with what you buy and not gripe too much. I say If you like the M then keep it. As others have said, they are near impossible to get a hold of.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 01:34 PM   #20
PSYMON81
BMW FANATIC
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: 1M Black - 320d x touring

absolutely hold it is something that you will miss after....
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 02:04 PM   #21
lcrain
Captain
Rep
Drives: e36 m3, TT-RS

Don't get rid of a 1m for an x3. You will regret it for sure. You can get an x3 any time, they won't be hard to find, the 1m will and you will likely have to pay more than you originally paid to get back into one.

If it's feasible with your family situation then you really should keep it, its a much more special car than an x3 eww.
Appreciate 0
      05-10-2012, 04:27 PM   #22
m3dragon
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: CSL M3

LOL have the wife drive the 1M from time to time. Mine will drive the 1M to meets because she fears my M3 HAHA
Appreciate 0