F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Roundel Letter Writer Trashes BMW Apps
proTUNING Freaks

05-07-2012, 03:11 PM   #1
shabadoo25
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i Sport Line F30

Roundel Letter Writer Trashes BMW Apps

I'd love to link it here, but you can only get the mag online as a pdf. For those who don't know, it's the monthly mag from the BMWCCA.

Anyhoo, the guy really thinks the Apps suck. First off, by initiating it, the system kills your Bluetooth streaming. Also apparently, it doesn't automatically kick back on when you take the phone out of the cradle forcing you to search how to turn it back on.

Also, there are issues with what you can control on the phone vs. iDrive, forcing you to manipulate the phone and take your attention off the road.

So my point in posting this, since I have an F30 on order with the Apps, is to ask if I should cancel or are they worth getting?

BTW, yes I've searched and didn't find that much on the topic.
2012 328i Sedan Alpine White Dakota Grey/Brushed Aluminum/Black High Gloss Premium Premium Sound Technology STEPTRONIC Heated Fronts BMW Apps BMW Assist w/Enhanced Bluetooth and USB Park Distance Control Rear View Camera Xenons
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 03:45 PM   #2
stampchez
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

I agree with those criticisms. The fact that you have to plug it in makes it almost worthless to me. I have also had some cooling issues with the cradle. It was only $250 so it's not like it was some big outlay but I very rarely find myself using it.

It's a great idea in concept but the execution isn't all there.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 03:47 PM   #3
sr5959
Captain
Rep
Drives: 428GC M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampchez View Post
I agree with those criticisms. The fact that you have to plug it in makes it almost worthless to me. I have also had some cooling issues with the cradle. It was only $250 so it's not like it was some big outlay but I very rarely find myself using it.

It's a great idea in concept but the execution isn't all there.
+1
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 03:54 PM   #4
ƒ°
Rep
Drives: ✚

My belief is that any tech item that is dependent on a certain piece of hardware (iPhone 4S or lower) is not worth it for a car... backward thinking. That is, unless you plan on keeping the car for only 2 years. When I heard that the Apps were only available on the iPhone and that you needed to get a cradle, I laughed. Seriously... what a half baked idea. If the iPhone 5 that comes out at the end of the year (with a rumored change in connection pins), the cradle will be useless to anyone that wants to upgrade to the new iPhone. Of course BMW will probably release a new cradle for $275!

Regular bluetooth is good cos it's universal and I think it'll be here for a while. Every phone uses it. But the Apps. Nope. I seriously doubt BMW is going to keep up with updating the apps as new Apple hardware/software becomes available. Heck, they could barely do a good job right now.

So basically.... If you're tech savvy, you'll probably want it. Ironically, if you ARE tech savvy, you'll be utterly disappointed in it.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 04:51 PM   #5
svache
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 328i

Garage List
I am an Android user and hated the idea that I would have to switch over to the iPhone, probably just as much as any iPhone user would hate the idea to switch to Android lol. However, I was thinking more and more about getting an iPhone, and only because of the ease of use with the BMW Apps but that changed because I realized what hassle it would be to constantly put the phone in and out of the cradle and to start the connected drive app, just to use the BMW apps, even if it were just short trips.

Now, however, I am using the system as I also described as a possible solution for Android users in this thread here: http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=651149 and, I have to say, it works like a charm.

I have no need for a cradle, just keep it plugged in with the white USB cable. I have the home WIFI also set up on the Touch and I can sync it wireless with iTunes whenever it's parked in the carport or outside on the street.

Right now, just to see how long my battery will live, I am not even plugging my phone into a power supply for the WIFI tethering but have it set so that, as soon as I am connected to my car's Bluetooth, it will automatically start a mobile accesspoint for the Touch. So now I don't even take my phone out of the holder any more, don't have to press any buttons, nothing. It's ideal to be honest.. the only downside (but that has nothing to do with the setup) is that my provider has sloppy reception in some areas but I guess I'll just have to wait until September, when my subscription ends and I can switch to another provider with better reception (and get a 4G phone at the same time so it downloads everything even faster lol).

I haven't tried out Bluetooth streaming yet while having BMW Apps on, but seeing how my phone is not used for the BMW Apps, I kind of doubt it would shut down the streaming (but then again, do you need streaming over Bluetooth? With the Touch (and iPhone all the same, of course) I can listen to my mp3's and such by using the white USB cable, and another part of BMW Apps is webradio, which contains a LOT of stations lol (seriously, all I do know is listen to Dutch radio stations while driving in Hawaii (and laughing at their weather reports lol) haha)

So far I have no complaints about this set up at all. I could see where the frustrations come from if I had to use an iPhone but, right now, I don't have them at all with my Android phone =)

Disclaimer: I hope nobody felt offended by this post. This post not meant as an attack on iPhone users, nor is it meant to promote Android (I know how these topics can start flame wars and I'm not out for that). I just wanted to shed some light on a different setup possibility for BMW Apps

Note: Many PM me for links to the software needed to code. Please note that I do not have download links to this software. Your best bet is using the search function in the coding thread

Last edited by svache; 05-07-2012 at 05:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 04:59 PM   #6
jzcrna
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

the execution isn't the greatest. The points regarding starting the app on the phone first really hit the nail on the head. You should not have to manipulate the phone.

However the interfaces for MOG radio, and the iPod are awesome. MOG, especially. For that it is worth the price of admission. I don't use facebook or twitter in my car that part is ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 05:04 PM   #7
Ryan9095
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2022 430i

My CA actually strongly advised NOT getting BMW APPS (I originally wanted it for the Pandora function). Interesting criticisms...
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 05:06 PM   #8
dmontic71
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30

Garage List
I was sooo tempted to get the apps, but this is exactly what I thought would happen.
      05-07-2012, 06:36 PM   #9
jzcrna
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan9095
My CA actually strongly advised NOT getting BMW APPS (I originally wanted it for the Pandora function). Interesting criticisms...
I forgot but the Pandora interface is awesome as well.

I agree with some
of the criticisms but for a CA to not recommend is dumb. This means that he had not used Pandora or MOG radio to their fullest potential.

Trust me when I say that those interfaces are outstanding despite the fact that you initiate them from the phone. BMW apps makes for a truly outstanding Pandora or MOG radio experience.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 06:49 PM   #10
brad0
Private
Rep
Drives: none

Can someone point me to any other car system than integrates iPhones better or has better tech than BMW?

The closest I found was Audi and that doesn't even do basic things like display album art or play pandora/mog while displaying cover art.

If you have an Andriod then yeah it can be a bit disappointing, but for iPhone owners its probably the best out there. Could be better of course, but there isn't anything else out there better than the current BMW idrive.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 07:47 PM   #11
shoptb
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 G01 X3 m40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by brad0 View Post
If you have an Andriod then yeah it can be a bit disappointing, but for iPhone owners its probably the best out there. Could be better of course, but there isn't anything else out there better than the current BMW idrive.
Yeah, for all of its opportunities, there's still not another system that can best it.
      05-07-2012, 07:56 PM   #12
Kronk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: None

Web radio and Pandora sold it for me.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2012, 08:38 PM   #13
STAT1
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Subaru WRX Limited

If you have to initiate pandora from your phone, wouldn't streaming over a2dp bluetooth be a more convenient option? That way you don't have to buy the cradle and you don't even have to plug your phone in. You also get BMW assist with that option, which is a tremendous safety feature. As an Android user, MAP support is an added bonus.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 12:00 AM   #14
Kronk
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Originally Posted by STAT1 View Post
If you have to initiate pandora from your phone, wouldn't streaming over a2dp bluetooth be a more convenient option? That way you don't have to buy the cradle and you don't even have to plug your phone in. You also get BMW assist with that option, which is a tremendous safety feature. As an Android user, MAP support is an added bonus.
Seems like that would be possible, but for the extra $250 it seems worth it for the added interface and other apps.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 01:17 AM   #15
Carnook
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: iX

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabadoo25 View Post
Anyhoo, the guy really thinks the Apps suck. First off, by initiating it, the system kills your Bluetooth streaming. Also apparently, it doesn't automatically kick back on when you take the phone out of the cradle forcing you to search how to turn it back on.
I haven't figured out why people are so obsessed with AD2P streaming. It sounds awful (IMHO). I've tried it in a number of cars because I travel and rent quite often. They all sucked compared to a wired connection.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 03:32 AM   #16
Howowcanigo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Opel Astra

Quote:
Originally Posted by svache View Post
(seriously, all I do know is listen to Dutch radio stations while driving in Hawaii (and laughing at their weather reports lol) haha)

Unfortunately I'm a Belgian so I'm enjoying the same weather...

Howow
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 09:38 AM   #17
shabadoo25
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnook View Post
I haven't figured out why people are so obsessed with AD2P streaming. It sounds awful (IMHO). I've tried it in a number of cars because I travel and rent quite often. They all sucked compared to a wired connection.
I've only used it in Hyundais/Kias, but it sounded fine to me.
2012 328i Sedan Alpine White Dakota Grey/Brushed Aluminum/Black High Gloss Premium Premium Sound Technology STEPTRONIC Heated Fronts BMW Apps BMW Assist w/Enhanced Bluetooth and USB Park Distance Control Rear View Camera Xenons
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 10:07 AM   #18
NAV8TT
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 ///M3 E92 DCT ZCP

I think it's not worth getting, the real cool thing is the office but they dont have it with a lot of phones, most advanced android and of course the iPhone don't have it, u have to have an effed up blackberry (and still not all of them) to have that. I regret paying the 250 for that, I'd get the rear seat folding option instead lol.
      05-08-2012, 11:07 AM   #19
kon
Lieutenant
Singapore
Rep
Drives: F30 310i > G20 310i

My 2 cents... If you already have an iPhone with data connection, why would you want to Facebook, twitter with iDrive? Is the joystick better than the touch screen?

It would only make sense if the apps is giving audio entertainment, anything more it's just a road hazard isn't it?
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 11:12 AM   #20
Feanor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320d Luxury 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by stampchez View Post
It's a HUGE outlay for what it is IMO!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 12:43 PM   #21
sr5959
Captain
Rep
Drives: 428GC M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carnook View Post
Try it on F30, it works very well and there is no difference in sound quality.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2012, 01:02 PM   #22
shabadoo25
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kon View Post
My 2 cents... If you already have an iPhone with data connection, why would you want to Facebook, twitter with iDrive? Is the joystick better than the touch screen?

It would only make sense if the apps is giving audio entertainment, anything more it's just a road hazard isn't it?
Seems like a cool and safer feature for a stop-and-go commute then picking up your phone.
Appreciate 0