E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > iDrive Update 3 Weeks Ago -- NOW D E A D ! !

06-25-2007, 07:49 AM   #1
LarryK1000
Larry from Los Angeles
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

iDrive Update 3 Weeks Ago -- NOW D E A D ! !

Had the 25.02.00 (I believe) update about 3 weeks ago.

Got into the car this a.m. and the car chime would not stop and I had an SOS in the Dashboard with a SLASH across it. I called SOS and they said I'd have to call the 800 Customer Svc number.

The chime stopped, but the entire iDrive system will not go past the Main Menu. I drove around the block; stopped the car; and came back into the garage. No help. I stopped the car. Locked the door. Restarted the car. NOTHING.

I was afraid of this. I have never had one problem with the iDrive or car for the entire year I've had it until now.

I'm going to find out if they gave me 25.01 or some earlier version. My bill did NOT say what version I received and they wouldn't tell me when I asked.

CENTER BMW
Sherman Oaks, California

is my dealership.

Larry

Last edited by LarryK1000; 06-25-2007 at 07:49 AM.. Reason: Typo
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2007, 08:01 AM   #2
LarryK1000
Larry from Los Angeles
Rep

I searched here and found the EJECT-EJECT-MUTE reset information.

I went into the car to do it, and it was working fine.

So, we'll see how long it lasts.

I made an appointment for Thursday to take it in.

I'll keep you posted.

I tried to do a VEHICLE CHECK and can't find where it is in the new iDrive system. Can you tell me where it is? Thanks in advance.

Larry
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2007, 09:21 AM   #3
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Knock on wood, I have not had any real electronic gremlins on my car yet, but based on reading lots of threads where people have various electronic things go wrong (steering wheel lock, iDrive, odd warning lights), there are at least three key "reboot milestones" for the E9x, where the various parts of the car go to sleep and boot back up.

Some problems have been fixed by turning the car off then back on immediately. Some more stubborn problems need at least 15-30 minutes from the time you turn the car off (sounds like this is what happened to you). Some problems are not fixed until the car is left overnight, then magically, the car works fine the next day. It's as if we're dealing with Windows.
      06-25-2007, 09:49 AM   #4
FrankoQ
Deny everything
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i; 2015 X6, S1000RR

Garage List
2015 BMW X6  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BK View Post
Knock on wood, I have not had any real electronic gremlins on my car yet, but based on reading lots of threads where people have various electronic things go wrong (steering wheel lock, iDrive, odd warning lights), there are at least three key "reboot milestones" for the E9x, where the various parts of the car go to sleep and boot back up.

Some problems have been fixed by turning the car off then back on immediately. Some more stubborn problems need at least 15-30 minutes from the time you turn the car off (sounds like this is what happened to you). Some problems are not fixed until the car is left overnight, then magically, the car works fine the next day. It's as if we're dealing with Windows.
Knock on wood too, I also have not had any electronic problems... yet.
Has anyone tried disconnecting the battery? think that would help?

I do that with my Mitsu SUV from time to time. The alarm gets "confused"
and a battery disconnect seems to fix the problem.

I need a drink

Appreciate 0
      06-25-2007, 06:41 PM   #5
LarryK1000
Larry from Los Angeles
Rep

UPDATE:

I drove the car several hours later and it was fine.

I decided to drive up to Center BMW and spoke to a service writer. She said that the iDrive system is just like any other computer and sometimes needs to be rebooted. So, she said it has to sit off for 15-30 minutes. Turning it on and off immediately usually will not work, since it takes some time for the system to completely shut down.

So, I'll see how long it continues to work properly.

It's strange because I didn't have one glitch for the first year under Version 21.

Larry in Los Angeles
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2007, 12:57 AM   #6
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryK1000 View Post
UPDATE:

I drove the car several hours later and it was fine.

I decided to drive up to Center BMW and spoke to a service writer. She said that the iDrive system is just like any other computer and sometimes needs to be rebooted. So, she said it has to sit off for 15-30 minutes. Turning it on and off immediately usually will not work, since it takes some time for the system to completely shut down.

So, I'll see how long it continues to work properly.

It's strange because I didn't have one glitch for the first year under Version 21.

Larry in Los Angeles
I just posted in another iDrive thread -- I got the same error today. Never had a lockup with v21, and it took a while to get one with v25 now, but mine was the same as yours (same warning light, same symptoms). Rebooting iDrive fixed it, now I'm keeping my fingers crossed it does not come back. How has yours performed since your lock-up? Any more gremlins?
      12-11-2007, 08:51 AM   #7
HeadlessChicken
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i e90

Happened to me also. I had my car in for service about 1 or 2 months ago for the high pressure pump issue on the 335. When I got the car back it seemed that the idrive was different. The colors were a little different and some of the radio controls had changed. For example, when scrolling through the Sirius stations, you only had to click them once to activate that station instead of twice as it was before before. I assume I had some form of software update. Then, about four weeks ago, I stopped at the store got back in the car and kept getting a flashing screen (it would come on for one second about every 30 seconds). Turning it off would not help. I left the car for several hours, came back, and it was fine. It happened again this morning. I never had a problem until software update several weeks ago. We will see when I leave work today whether it has again corrected itself.
Appreciate 0